Kind of a mix between computer and gaming issues, but hopefully someone has some insight on both.

Back in October 15 I purchased an external hard drive (WD - My Book 2TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive) for use with my Xbox One. Did some reading at the time and it was a recommended unit. Worked perfectly and had no issues until a couple months ago. One day turned my Xbox One on and it wouldn't boot up. Got only so far then kept crashing and restarting. Tried a bunch of stuff to get it to work and never happened. Last week a friend of mine gave me his Xbox One so I hooked it all up got it working just fine until I plugged my external hard drive in and experienced the same crashing issue. Hooked up my old Xbox One and found without it connect it also worked just fine so the issue is the hard drive. someone suggested it was drawing power from the Xbox, but it has it's own plug so didn't think that'd be it.

So is the hard drive just fried or what can I do to reconnect? Obviously all my saved games are on there so I'd hate to wipe it clean, but I'd rather get it working again.

Any thoughts on next steps to try and get it working again?

Thanks!