FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Also since the thread was bumped.

Fuck soloing these arena quests for the Divine slasher. I need to do uragan/Rado one more time and 4 more azure raths. Fuck them both to hell.
    Why solo? Search for an arena lobby, there are pretty much always a few up.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

just so people know, arena is always scaled for 2 players. doesn't matter if you go in solo or not

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Why solo? Search for an arena lobby, there are pretty much always a few up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    just so people know, arena is always scaled for 2 players. doesn't matter if you go in solo or not
    I'm aware they are meant for two players, there has never been one up when I try for hours so I've been using the solo techniques which has admittedly made me better, learn new weapons, and hate the fuck out of the game simultaneously. Don't get many bites in discord either probably due to odd hours.

But, there's always modding if all else fails. Every day I get closer to the all items shop mod.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

In what world are flash bombs a crutch against shit like rathalos.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

i get what he's trying to say. you don't learn monster moves and how to dodge them when the mob is lying on the ground dazed

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

When farming for mats against an enemy you have no problem with, I will bomb and trap the shit out of them just to make the fight go faster. I fell in love with Gunlance pretty quickly due to the stickiness you have on monsters and the absolute carnage you can do with a full burst combo. I haven't played in a long time so not sure if updates have nerfed much. I'm getting back into some games I never finished (Horizon Zero Dawn, FFXV ya fite me, FFXII) and I might do the same with this since I never got into AT monsters.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I'm at gathering data for the 3 elder fights myself. Keep getting hooked on something else even though I'm close to having Fiendish Tower made for my lancer

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Advice to not use items is dumb.

Running out of items and learning to craft/wheel them on the fly during fights is an important skill. Learning to not go back to camp every time you need something and carrying some mats on you.

Flash shit, dung shit, bomb shit. Learning how to wake shit up with bombs makes you better, not worse. If you kill something faster and more efficiently, you are better for it.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The fastest and most efficient method of killing things is generally by not flashing/sleeping/trapping unless absolutely necessary. Flashed monsters are unpredictable, and luring a monster into a trap or sleeping it and setting up bombs usually slows down damage more than it's worth. Hell, even using dung is sometimes worse than not because monsters damage each other as well as you. I've never even carried dung honestly, and I've only used traps to actually capture.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I hear all that but when playing with randoms sometimes the fastest way to killing the mob is not the most efficient because everyone isn't at that skill level. I value least risk of death more than killing shit quick even if I'm farming.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

When those guys are causing you to fail G rank quests in Iceborne because monsters build flash/trap resistance and they never learned how to play you might feel differently.

Edit: It's pretty much why most veteran hunters consider them to be a bit of a crutch.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I agree with you as a vet. I just don't think items should be looked down upon when you're gaining that experience on the monsters. I'd say forego using them when you have the gear and the experience to not need them instead of trying to force experience to appease the MH "elite" e-peen meta.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

If you don't use flash, you'll never know the joy of keeping an elder from flying back to his base, which is a harder fight and wastes time. That's also a place I will gladly throw on a bomb/special amo set +ATK and wyrn fire an AT elder in two rounds. Don't care if I have to fly out and run back up, AT elders, in their base, are just nasty. If G rank doesn't have that option, then I'm learning their move-set in a new environment anyways. Blue azure is another I'll flash out of the sky and clip his wings; the guy is just a dick in the air.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    The fastest and most efficient method of killing things is generally by not flashing/sleeping/trapping unless absolutely necessary. Flashed monsters are unpredictable, and luring a monster into a trap or sleeping it and setting up bombs usually slows down damage more than it's worth. Hell, even using dung is sometimes worse than not because monsters damage each other as well as you. I've never even carried dung honestly, and I've only used traps to actually capture.
    Flashing rath or kushala is slower and unpredictable? As far as trapping, I meant capturing, and bombing is for when it's asleep on it's own retreated to it's nest. Not actually luring into traps or spamming sleep ammo. But I don't know how anyone would willingly not carry dung, let bazel do a bombrun or two or pickle land a few shots then dung away. Or continue fighting both at once... I don't go out of my way to aqcuire dung but FML if I don't have any.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Advice to not use items is dumb.

Running out of items and learning to craft/wheel them on the fly during fights is an important skill. Learning to not go back to camp every time you need something and carrying some mats on you.

Flash shit, dung shit, bomb shit. Learning how to wake shit up with bombs makes you better, not worse. If you kill something faster and more efficiently, you are better for it.
    Also on the note of items it's faster to assign meds/etc. to your hotwheel than having to manually disengage and use them.

Also for your Palico there will be palico related quests you can do during expeditions to give him new tools which can alter his role. You start off with him having a healer kit then later can get one for traps, one for him to catch aggro, and one to act as a support buff.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Sonic bombs are amazing on Blos especially when I'm out there with a hammer rofl-stomping his horns off.

BG Level

woo doggy i played the absolute fuck out of this game last night didn't sleep till 4AM with work at 8.

i can see how the central loop of murder big monstar for glory and loot ---> craft dope shit with said loot to murder bigger monstar ad infinitum would get extremely addicting and mastering the various weaponstyles would breathe fresh life into the gameplay even a couple hundred hours in. add the graphics the God damn adorable af Palicos and the sense of exploration/wonder/interaction with a vibrant ecosystem and man. should've started playing this sooner.

as per bro's advice up north haven't fucked with any traps/bombs/flashes (though maybe i should?) thus far. i'm sure it gets far harder but combat has been breezy so far for a Souls veteran, emphasis on positioning + the weightiness of attacks/movement + pattern recognition are all very familiar.

think i knew i was hooked when i went for first big monster kill against that fat lizard that eats the little dinosaurs then a flying cunt that looked like Toothless with down's syndrome interrupted our fight so i beat him until he ran off but then a T-rex came and tried to eat all of us so i ran away while laughing and admiring my kitty cat's rabbit helmet

BG Level

Traps will come into play later. You'll have a quest where you need to capture a monster.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

This avoidance of traps doesn't make any sense to me. Traps are better in every way if you can use them. You get better rewards (the percentages are higher on rare items in quest rewards rather than carves). It makes the fights shorter. And they are fun to use. Why avoid traps? Don't avoid using environmental hazards either those are great fun to use.