Closed Thread
Page 16 of 151 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

There is the old style lounge for multiplayer stuff, but the only thing specific there I've seen is some arena quests.

I'm also pretty sure that those arenas don't scale for solo play. Pukei-Pukei in one took me quite a bit longer then usual.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Send me a PSN group invite - kun210.

I'm new to the MH franchise, the game is pretty fun and very punishing if you try to just go in full attack. I've just beaten the Anjanath, man was that thing hard to take down, a ramp up of difficulty from the prior ones, I found it easier to solo than to group up.

I've picked dual blade for weapon as they seem pretty easy for beginners. What does affinity mean on the weapons, how do you raise it, and does it decrease if you pick a different weapon?

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Affinity is like crit rate. If you have -affinity you do more attacks at the low end of your damage range. You can think of every 10% affinity increasing attack by 2.5%. Or at least I think that's the conversion. Different weapons will have different affinity. Not just types, but the actual weapon. You'll see it on the stats in the forge/upgrade menus.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

So I've given it some time and I still can't come to like the new Armor system. Admittedly it's not the system itself I have a problem with but the balancing they've done to it that makes it feel incredibly underpowered compared to previous games. Why is Attack Up in increments of 3 early on only for it to cap at slightly higher than Attack Up (XL)? Same with Critical Eye, though it's worse in that case considering how little 3% Affinity actually effectively gives you attack wise. LR armor is basically just slap on whatever skills make your mundane tasks less tedious or whichever skill only has 3 points to cap because each point actually contributes a significant amount in that case.

To use previous games as the benchmark, you could get Attack Up (L) (equivalent of Attack Up 6 in World) within 30 minutes of Generations. Going further by mid LR you could have Razor Sharp/Weakness Exploit (full version)/Attack Up (S) and if you were lucky with charms any 5 gem skill or upgrade to Attack Up (M). In 4U, made by the same team as this game I should add, you could get Sharpness+1 (Handicraft 5)/Challenger+1/Razor Sharp right near the end of LR Village. You'd be lucky to get that set of skills on HR armor in World with how stingy they are with skill points. It's nice that every point does something now but they either need to buff what each individual point does or be more liberal with their distribution.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Affinity is crit rate. Not sure about this game, but in the past it was an extra 25% damage for crits. Unless you're using gear that explicitly enhances crits (Rathalos/Zorah Mag/etc set bonuses) it's not overly worth focusing on. Only exception really is Great Sword and the Critical Draw skill (for 100% crit rate on your charged level 3s)

By the same token, don't be scared of gear with negative affinity, more often then not the base attack on them is so high it evens out the potential loss on "negative crits." Diablos weapons are a classic example of this.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Voyage1970 View Post
    So I've given it some time and I still can't come to like the new Armor system. Admittedly it's not the system itself I have a problem with but the balancing they've done to it that makes it feel incredibly underpowered compared to previous games. Why is Attack Up in increments of 3 early on only for it to cap at slightly higher than Attack Up (XL)? Same with Critical Eye, though it's worse in that case considering how little 3% Affinity actually effectively gives you attack wise. LR armor is basically just slap on whatever skills make your mundane tasks less tedious or whichever skill only has 3 points to cap because each point actually contributes a significant amount in that case.

To use previous games as the benchmark, you could get Attack Up (L) (equivalent of Attack Up 6 in World) within 30 minutes of Generations. Going further by mid LR you could have Razor Sharp/Weakness Exploit (full version)/Attack Up (S) and if you were lucky with charms any 5 gem skill or upgrade to Attack Up (M). In 4U, made by the same team as this game I should add, you could get Sharpness+1 (Handicraft 5)/Challenger+1/Razor Sharp right near the end of LR Village. You'd be lucky to get that set of skills on HR armor in World with how stingy they are with skill points. It's nice that every point does something now but they either need to buff what each individual point does or be more liberal with their distribution.
    I noticed this too. I haven't gotten very far along, though, and I'm hoping that some of the HR sets will be better. I noticed some Handicraft on the Zorah set and heard a streamer talking about Evade Extender.

I agree, though, the skills are pretty crappy so far. I think I just have Attack 3 and Speed Eater 1.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Legiana Chest has Evade Window (Evade+), and you can also craft an Evade+ charm from Legiana parts as well. Other then that I've honestly just geared for armor so far, with a slight focus on keeping useful skills in slots. Not worth the effort while there's still no access to gem slots.

Did get enough pieces from Zorah at the end of Low Rank to craft the Handicraft helm. Handicraft isn't as good as it was before tho, since it won't give you an extra sharpness level, just extends the length of your highest color.

HR armor does look much better tho, and most pieces are available in two flavors (2 skills/no gem slots or 1 skill/gem slots), and pieces can start getting more then one skill level per piece.

At early high rank I'm going with Evade+2, Speed Sharpen+3, Handicraft+1, with Crit/Airborne/Attack filling out random slots from what I have available so far.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    since it won't give you an extra sharpness level, just extends the length of your highest color.
    Really? That's shitty.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

As far as I can tell anyways, haven't seen it push any weapon into further colors, but at best I can only get+2.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm enjoying the game, but the lack of portability is a personal problem. It's going to take a while for me to beat the game and the content where in the DS games I was able to blaze through them with dead times at work or commuting. It was very nice to beat Xenoblade 2 in two weeks with 2 hr commutes each day, but now the same commute is preventing me from spending more time with this game.

At least the controls make using the heavy bowgun a pleasure to use, never was a fan of ranged weapons on the DS versions.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

For the noobs vs vets : the difference is HUGE I have 2 people I hunt with and one is casual and the others a vet like me. It's painful sometimes because I want to play in groups but the health boost and extra work isn't fun when your carrying hard.

Like I just yelled at my friend because he just got to high rank. Was swearing his gear was upgraded he reads his defense off and it's 50+ lowerer then mine. Why... He doesn't wanna invest in his current gear but can't live long enough to farm better...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Just tell him to do bounties for armor spheres. You can easily do them while working on other quests.

And yeah, you don't really get to do much with armor until you get to HR. Once you get armor with multiple skill points, open slots, can upgrade your charms and have access to decorations, then you can start putting gear sets together. This is what my Hunting Horn set looks like right now:

The biggest hurdle is getting the right decorations to slot into stuff, since they're random. Haven't seen any Critical Eye or Horn Maestro decorations yet, though Non-Elemental boost is amazing.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Figured I should at least do *some* online before I eventually get deployed, so snagged a 3 month PS plus.

So if anyone wants to get down (daddy needs some Legiana gems), let's do it to it.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan? View Post
    And yeah, you don't really get to do much with armor until you get to HR. Once you get armor with multiple skill points, open slots, can upgrade your charms and have access to decorations, then you can start putting gear sets together. This is what my Hunting Horn set looks like right now...
    I get that it opens up more in HR but even then if you actually look deeper at your skills you realize that it is essentially Weakness Exploit -1 (30% compared to 50% from previous games), Attack Up (M), Critical Eye 1 (6%+5% compared to 10% base) and Challenger -1 (Agitator 5 isn't even Challenger +2 level but it's close). It's a clear downgrade from previous entries and all they would have to do is make the value of individual points more worthwhile or make skills more accessible either through more slots or better distribution on armor.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

That's not a full set, it's just the base that I have right now as an example. I don't have any good decorations yet. If I did, most of those skills would be capped

You can also increase the slots on gear once you get to tempered monsters

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Sticky Camera is awful, it especially makes targeting specific body parts a gigantic pain in the ass.
    Honestly, if he played this for more than 10 minutes and he wants a lock-on then he is making the right decision returning it

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Now I started the series with 4U but I remember hitting certain parts of the monsters doing more damage being something the game was really bad at explaining.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

15 HR Legianas and no Gem. Never change MH.

I just wanna see how good the extra charge rank on Bow is, is that so much to ask?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Is there a BG squad?

I like to eat food
    BG Level

There is on PS4 at least. AoE started it up.

Send me an invite when you can. OttomanRob is my PSN and character name. I never even checked the multiplayer lounge before last night.

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 151 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast