Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I'm gonna be a beginner at this series when I get this for PC, what weapon should I roll with that's fun easy and good? Fun and easy mostly. Fun mostly. Okay easy mostly.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Can’t go wrong with switch axe.

Can be a little slow to start out with, but it’s more forgiving for mistakes compared to some of the other heavy weapons.

And it’s fun lol

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I agree with Switch Axe. It's my favorite weapon, hands down. Good mobility compared to some of the heavier weapons, a little versatility between sword and axe mode, has a high damage combo for when the monsters trip or are trapped, has good vertical attacks for flying monsters and tails, has the phial burst in sword mode (which now mounts when the meter is full). A lot of people like Longsword when they start as well. It has a good sidestep for evasion and a fading slash (I assume it still has that this gen). It also has a meter which can increase attack and I think opens up new attacks? Don't really play longsword.

The other classics are Great Sword and Hammer. GSis great if you can get the timing and attacks on monsters down. Getting a big charge hit on a monster from GS is devastating. Same kind of deal with Hammer, strong charge attacks and KO potential, but requires timing.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I would recommend Hammer. It's a very simple weapon that's easy to use but can be extremely effective especially when you get a better understanding of monster attack patterns. Switch Axe I feel has too many other things to monitor while also worrying about dodging monster attacks since you have to watch your Phial gauge and also now your Sword gauge. Similar with Longsword with the Spirit Meter and Spirit levels and honestly if you aren't good with the new counter attack and helm splitter your DPS will suffer greatly.

The biggest advantage for Hammer is that even if you miss hitting the Head for KO damage you still deal significant Exhaust damage which will inevitably tire the monster out giving ample free time to wail on the head for you and risk free hits for everyone else. Essentially even when you fail you succeed. The only real issue is the potential for knocking your team members around if you aren't careful but ideally they will know to leave the Head area to you so they shouldn't be near you most of the time.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

It's been a few years but ready to dust off the ol' Hunting Horn if the PC port isn't complete garbage. Everybody loves support right?

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

There is no greater feeling then when you fully understand a monsters patterns and go ham on its head with a hammer.

Never played a game in the series before, but I had a blast playing the demo with buddies. Really interesting how the open world preparation plays into the getting ready to kill these awesome bosses.

I heard there was a PC game called Dauntless that aimed to beat Capcom to the PC since Capcom was so focused on the 3DS the last few years, is that game worth checking out?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Dauntless is... well. It isn't even close to up to the standards that MH (or even other MH clones) set so don't expect much.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

y'all wrong, Greatsword is the only correct choice in my book

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Charge Axe or bust

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    y'all wrong, Greatsword is the only correct choice in my book
    This guy gets it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

You guys didn't make this any easier at all lol. Basically any weapon. Got it, rofl.

Do you guys think this will play best on PC with a controller? I have a wireless Bluetooth controller but I forget if it lags or if my PS4 one worked better. I'm very excited to play this on my laptop at work, I switch to nights in January.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It will be like dark souls on pc controller required.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

There is an old JP PC version of Monster Hunter Online, so they probably have some experience with and refinement to the KBM controls. But besides that, the series has always been console/handheld, so controller is probably the way to go unless you're the "KBM masterrace" type.

And due to cutout experiences on the PS3 with Ridge Racer 7, and an unfortunate incident with Dyna-Windy, I have a strict rule of only using wired controllers.

As for the weapons. They have their strengths, but they're generally balanced, so like FFXIV there's flavor of the month that some people might give you crap over but it's really down to what you like playing. And short of grabbing a PSP/Wii/DS copy of the game to try out, you can't get a feel for that until the game comes out.

Here's a rundown as best I can give it.
    Spoiler: show
    In the beginning there were 5(6) choices.
    Sword & Shield - Weak but fast. Can block. Need to be a high skill player to maximize it, think Onion Knight. Low raw damage is compensated by high elemental or status attack strengths.
    Great Sword - Strong but slow attacks, low mobility, can block but doing so degrades the weapon sharpness until you repair it, which costs you time.
    Hammer - Strong and slow, can't block, low mobility. Can stun quickly if you hit head, but can't cut monster parts.
    Lance - Moderate damage, moderate speed, strong block. Mobility is ok, it's a bit weird, hard to explain, but part of it is lance has a dash/charge attack.
    Light Bowgun/Heavy Bowgun - Light has lower damage higher mobility, heavy has higher damage lower mobility. Has attachment configuration options that can shift things. Your main defense is range, thus more time to react and dodge. Tons of different ammo, lots of inventory management, but gives some utility.

Something to note is blocking costs stamina, and can still do chip damage. It's still useful, but there is a philosophy like maxing evasion, the best defense is to not get hit in the first place.

The 2nd gen doubled this by adding a variant style to each of the 5 categories, notes are a modification to it's base type.
    Dual Blades - Loses block, higher damage, excels at burst damage.
    Long Sword - Loses block, better mobility and speed.
    Hunting Horn - Lower damage, gains group utility, tricky to play. You are a bard.
    Gunlance - Still has strong defense, but different playstyle.
    Bow - Less inventory management, but less utility. Similar to SnS, needs good play to maximize.

3rd gen added the Switch Axe. 4th Gen added the variant Charge Blade, and the new Insect Glaive. I haven't played them, so I can't really say anything about them.

Ranged weapons (Bowgun/Bow) force you to use weaker armor which also needs to be crafted separate from melee armor, so trying to gear ranged/melee at the same time is a moderate timesink, more so when you need rare mats.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    You guys didn't make this any easier at all lol. Basically any weapon. Got it, rofl.

Do you guys think this will play best on PC with a controller? I have a wireless Bluetooth controller but I forget if it lags or if my PS4 one worked better. I'm very excited to play this on my laptop at work, I switch to nights in January.
    A must-play with controller. I remember having to buy the controller add-on for the Wii version because there is no other way around it. If you played Dragons Dogma with keyboard you might be able to handle it(?)

I recommend just going to the training area and try your hand at every weapon. They give you combos on the overlay to practice.

To reiterate previous posts the hammer is probably the greatest noob weapon to master. I feel the katana is a great early dps weapon. The charge bonus isn't difficult to keep track of. I didn't play with it on this beta but on previous iterations all you did was mash the R button for the full charged combo (better combo was R - triangle repeat if I recall). It was my favorite weapon on Lao-Shen in MH2 cuz it's just infinite slashing.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Definitely use controller. I'm a KBM guy, I can't do shooters and stuff on consoles at all, but this is absolutely a controller game. I got the Wii controller for Tri and I got the Circle Pad Pro for the 3DS (OG) before getting the new 3DS for MH4U so that I could have a second stick.

To build off Canith:

Switch Axe is a fun weapon, and like I said above, my favorite so far in the series. You have a slower axe form that some people use more than others. I like the axe form for hitting tall or flying enemies as well as chopping tails. It's also good for wider swings if you're trying to clear some little adds as well as hit the monster. It also has (had?) a continuous attack where you'd swing the axe back and forth until you either stop or your stamina is drained.

The sword mode has a charge meter. You can only switch to sword mode when the charge is above a certain threshold which is represented by a line on the meter. If it is below that meter you will load a new phial in it, basically, to recharge the axe. This makes you vulnerable for the reload animation. The sword mode is a bit quicker than the axe mode, and the phial you have changes the property of the sword. Some are status, some are power, some are elemental. They changed this up a little bit for this iteration I believe, but I haven't looked into it too much. The sword mode also has a phial burst attack that uses your charge gauge. You do a few small, repeated attacks and then a large burst attack at the end. For this game there's a second meter that looks like an outline around your sword gauge that has to do with your phial burst. When the gauge is full you can do the burst attack which will also mount the monster so you don't miss. I didn't actually get this to work and I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong, or if the gauge just wasn't full. It was hard for me to see when the gauge was full, but it seemed to also drain over time if you do not land an attack on the monster.

Insect Glaive is also a fun weapon. It's not the easiest to use at first because of the Kinsect mechanics, but once you get it down it can really destroy some things. The glaive itself is fairly standard as far as weapons go. There are different elements and status ones just like any other weapon. The advantage of the glaive itself is that it has a vaulting mechanic that allows you to jump into the air and attack the monster which could trigger a mount. Monsters build resistance to mounting over time, just like they do with statuses, so keep that in mind.

The Kinsect is the insect that you send out at the mosnters so that you can gain buffs. Generally it's split into 4 parts and types of buffs. The head gives you a red attack buff, the body gives you an orange defense/knockback buff, the legs give you a white speed and jumping buff, and green healing comes from odd body parts like the tail. You can combine the buffs, except for the heal (it's instant) to double and triple up on buffs. For example, if you get the red buff you gain a couple extra hits in your combos. When you add white to it you get attack up (s) and the speed/jumping bonus. When you combine Orange and white you get defense up (s), earplugs and the knockback and speed. When you combine all three you get attack up (L), defense up (L), earplugs, knock back, the extra attacks, the speed and jumping bonuses.

In the last gen you had to "craft" you kinsect along with your weapon. So when you had a starter weapon you may have only been able to level your kinsect in a certain way at the time and in order to craft he "perfect" kinsect, you'd have to start the process over with a brand new weapon of the same kind and level the kinsect up from scratch. Now they have said they separated the two processes so you can level the kinsect separate from the glaive itself which should remove a pretty good timesink (for better or worse depending on your own playstyle/playtime).

Example: You get the slime (Barchy) glaive. You aren't able to acquire certain materials at the time of crafting the IG, but you want to use it and continue to upgrade the IG, so you feed your kinsect the materials that are available. Now you have reached the rank to be able to collect all those items you couldn't before that allow you to make the best kinsect. You have to craft a brand new Brachy IG and start over upgrading it and the kinsect from the beginning until you're back to where you were before.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Slight correction, Dual Blades existed in Gen 1 but were more of a hidden branch from Sword and Shield but they did have Demon Mode so the foundation was there. Longswords technically existed too but not in the form we have now since they were just a special model of Great Swords (and Great Sword didn't have charge yet either).

Regarding Longsword in World it's a bit more bothersome to maintain spirit meter because the Helm Splitter is your biggest DPS component now and it lowers your level a tier everytime you use it. The fastest way to build meter is the new counter attack which itself will drain a tier if you miss the follow up attack but gives an upgrade instead if you hit with it and transitions immediately to the Roundhouse Slash for even bigger deeps. While you technically can play Longsword like usual you'll be doing moderately less damage than if you were properly practicing your Devil May Cry choreography and Brave Style counters. Hammer and Great Sword on the other hand have one easy to follow strategy for gittin gud: Are you hitting the head? Hit it more.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Oh I just realized I have monster hunter for 3ds I think, I'll try it out there I never played it.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

If you missed out on the PS+ beta, general beta otw. https://gematsu.com/2017/12/monster-...december-22-26

December 22 at 9:00 a.m. PST to December 26 at 9:00 a.m. PST.

Client Pre-Load starts Dec 18, the previous client is still good if you havn't deleted it yet.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Awesome. I didn't get a chance to do anything other than clear each hunt once in solo.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 151 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast