BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    It's because of the incoming limited quest.

HR30 quest just to gather 10 mushrooms? That has Deviljho written all over it.
    yo it could just be a really hard gather quest ok

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So about what we were talking about earlier I like watching Cantaperme's videos and streams but I wish the people I get online didn't.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

You gon' get pickled

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Quick question: Is it better to equip armor that has elemental strength and lower raw defense than go for higher defense for monsters with elemental attacks? My current armor has 18 raw defense on each piece and 0 fire elemental defense but if I am fighting a monster who does fire damage should I craft the bone armor which is 6 raw defense on each piece and 2 fire defense?

Edit: I imagine I am over thinking it at such a low rank but the question can carry over to higher ranks too.
    For something like Kirin, it's much better to get elemental resist then defense, since most of his deadly attacks are thunderbolts. For most other things, I gem resistance/immunity and eat for defense, but you really don't have to worry much about that unless you're just starting HR or are fighting Tempered. As long as you're not wearing armor that is weak to an element you are fighting you should be just fine with defense food and/or the most health the canteen gives you. If not, then you'll need to get more familiar with what you're fighting and not take so much damage.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Later on the specific skills (or gem slots) on armor will matter far more then whatever elemental resists they may have. And by far more I mean you'll pretty much just ignore whatever resists they have.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    For something like Kirin, it's much better to get elemental resist then defense, since most of his deadly attacks are thunderbolts. For most other things, I gem resistance/immunity and eat for defense, but you really don't have to worry much about that unless you're just starting HR or are fighting Tempered. As long as you're not wearing armor that is weak to an element you are fighting you should be just fine with defense food and/or the most health the canteen gives you. If not, then you'll need to get more familiar with what you're fighting and not take so much damage.
    Thanks that is very helpful. I am trying to take down Anjerath for the first time and he is tough! Even with long sword it is hard to get swings in without getting too close and even with good defense and hp/defense food he can faint me in 2 or 3 good hits. I will have to try again when I don't have my kids climbing on my back or screaming in my face. Distractions make it harder to dodge attacks.

Anjerath didn't do any fire attacks while I was fighting so that answers that question. Made the water long sword just for the battle too.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Anja does the fire attacks when he enrages. There's a pretty strong breath attack he's got.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Thanks that is very helpful. I am trying to take down Anjerath for the first time and he is tough! Even with long sword it is hard to get swings in without getting too close and even with good defense and hp/defense food he can faint me in 2 or 3 good hits. I will have to try again when I don't have my kids climbing on my back or screaming in my face. Distractions make it harder to dodge attacks.

Anjerath didn't do any fire attacks while I was fighting so that answers that question. Made the water long sword just for the battle too.
    With Long Sword you want to be on the offensive to get stacks of spirit gauge, but if you're having a tough time getting 1-2 hit KO'd I recommend a hit and run technique. Only position yourself to his side because of his Dino Rush. If you're attacking his legs you can roll to the side by his tail after a couple hits and avoid most of his attacks. He'll even do his cute little foot flip if you are there (can knock you down with LR armor).

Start learning about the environment as well. Area 13(?) has a breakable rock trap in the ceiling that will do significant damage as well as a knockdown. The same area or adjacent area has vine traps as well that let you get in some spirit gauge. If he rushes into a vine trap he should trigger it. A couple zones have vigorwasps which are great in a pinch.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Yeah vigorwasps are amazing. I have to get better at the vine traps and falling rocks. I will definitely focus on the legs for my first kill. That is a good tip stay to his side as much as possible. Thanks.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Yeah vigorwasps are amazing. I have to get better at the vine traps and falling rocks. I will definitely focus on the legs for my first kill. That is a good tip stay to his side as much as possible. Thanks.
    That tip goes for just about anyone. Except rollers, like Nergigante...or hip checkers, like Diablos (although still preferable than being charged down). Great Jagras telegraphs his roll for so long you can almost flinch him out of it. It'll get you used to positioning for face smashing from the side as well. I don't think I ever stare down a monster unless he's twitching.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    He'll even do his cute little foot flip if you are there (can knock you down with LR armor).
    I can't tell you how many times I got hit by this when I first started. For a while I didn't even see what the hell was hitting me lol

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Build some traps (gather thunder bugs and combine with trap tools sold by npc for shock. Also spider web + ivy for net then net + trap tool for pitfal trap). A nice bonus when you get to that one falling rock area in Ancient Forest is to trap them underneath. Then sling the rocks down. Gets you 30 points on trap and 90 for rocks. Nice damage boost.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Also, look out for wedge beetles high above you, as you can sling up to them, and drop down for a mount attack. Anjarath is a large step up from the previous things the game has you fight, so don't get too discouraged. Once you get comfortable with him, you've most likely learned the tricks to keep you alive on further challenges.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

What’s a good bow stamina build to work for? Im currently using 4 legiana armour pieces and that awesome eye path. But I want to master wall jump with bow. Suggestions?

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

I feel like whoever made the Uragaan fight really liked playing with dual blades. Spine ride all day lol

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh_Quetz View Post
    What’s a good bow stamina build to work for? Im currently using 4 legiana armour pieces and that awesome eye path. But I want to master wall jump with bow. Suggestions?
    Nergi B chest and Dober A Legs (for Stamina Surge III).

Fitness Charm III for Constitution III.

Stamina reduction effects cap at 50%, so technically you only need 3 points in Constitution if you're planning on using Dash Juice, tho I am generally a very lazy person and have 5 full points in my bow builds.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So is the Zorah hammer any good with bludgeoner?

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

My god, what do people haven't against trapping?! It takes off like 5 minutes of a fight, greatly lowers the chances of someone dying and wiping the group, and you get more materials. I've been even having runs where people hit me to stop placing traps and its really pisses me off. Is there something I'm missing here?

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

there are materials that are carve only

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh_Quetz View Post
    My god, what do people haven't against trapping?! It takes off like 5 minutes of a fight, greatly lowers the chances of someone dying and wiping the group, and you get more materials. I've been even having runs where people hit me to stop placing traps and its really pisses me off. Is there something I'm missing here?
    Could run an L1 Flinch Gem, and prevent that from happening, if you're on Tempered Fights. Usually it's the Gems that people want to carve for, but as an HBG user, I break enough parts that I see them in quest rewards often enough with capturing just about everything. I think Nerg is the only one that hasn't given me one yet, but I could meld it if I really wanted to.

The Research Notes aren't exactly accurate though, as I've carved tails, from slain monsters, that still had their tails attached, yet the book doesn't list a tail in that section for carving rewards.

Closed Thread
Page 41 of 151 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 ... LastLast