Closed Thread
Page 51 of 151 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Too many fucking things in this game take Wyvern Gems.

It'd be fine if it was just weapons, but rare 7 armor needing the gems to augment is a huge pain.

Edit : Attack Gem #3 yeah boy, now if only RNGesus could cough up a goddamn Magazine gem

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Taim Meich View Post
    Have you tried with a shield mod, and guard skill, perhaps? I fought him with lance and the ability to block helps immensely. I know the HBG shield is not as powerful, but maybe with enough guard+ skill it will be useful.
    Yep; always run two shield guards so I can counter things, and I've always used more defensive decorations then offensive, but it doesn't matter much with him; I'll block everything and he'll still chip me down from full health without any way to get a heal off. Best I usually do is when the palicos distract him and I can heal/DPS him, but it's kind of a pain to go get them since they are usually way up top, and you still have to get away from him to get a new one. Usually, my cat will heal me, but he's not doing his job on this fight, so I may try again, using the Shield option, so he can pull him off of me.

The two times I did beat him, the rewards were really shitty and I can do better just fighting Tempered Elders; at least I'll also get a shot at decorations too.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

1 Shield mod and Guard 5 (I fulfill this with lv3 charm and usually Bazel body) is all you really need. Extra shield mods just reduce the amount of knockback from some levels of attacks (SnS/CB?/(Gun)lance, in terms of guard "strength"). Guard is what affects chip damage.

That said, as someone who goes shotgun HBG for almost everything out of comfort, it's not the place for it on Jho imo (rather, carries extra risk). Anything that goes over your head (like above gif) is technically behind you so there's like no fucking way to block it. His "rear back, wind up, plant face into fucking ground" chomp oneshots me from full no matter how much Defense I have, and with 200 health as well. If you're already close to him on HBG your only hope is to roll forward and pray.

Currently I use Tobi LBG and just spam Thunder ammo, same thing I do for Kushala. I'm trying out Jho Bow to see if the results are any better or worse. Lances I hear do pretty well since you're not quite as immobile as HBG when guarding up close.

As an aside, hit HR 100 just before Jho event got noticed. Ended the quest with a pretty big sleep bombing.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Too many fucking things in this game take Wyvern Gems.

It'd be fine if it was just weapons, but rare 7 armor needing the gems to augment is a huge pain.
    You make me sad.

BG Level

When do I start augmenting anyway? I'm at HR49 and been kicking the crap out of these tempered tobi/jyura/anja/etc shit.
    After I beat tempered Kirin I'm assuming?

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    That said, as someone who goes shotgun HBG for almost everything out of comfort, it's not the place for it on Jho imo (rather, carries extra risk). Anything that goes over your head (like above gif) is technically behind you so there's like no fucking way to block it. His "rear back, wind up, plant face into fucking ground" chomp oneshots me from full no matter how much Defense I have, and with 200 health as well. If you're already close to him on HBG your only hope is to roll forward and pray.
    Even lance will get hit in that situation, but they can backstep so they're more in line. The hitbox for that attack is very weird, but he has a few attacks like that.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    When do I start augmenting anyway? I'm at HR49 and been kicking the crap out of these tempered tobi/jyura/anja/etc shit.
    After I beat tempered Kirin I'm assuming?
    Pretty sure you can be augmenting shit already, just need a stone to drop to unlock it.

BG Level

Checked it out. Looks like I need warrior and hero streamstones from tempered elder dragons to unlock augments in the first place.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Finally hit High Rank! Alpha or Beta armor? What is the consensus? I figure for the earlier game HR gear like Pukei and such Alpha is best then move to Beta once I start getting more decorations.

Edit: Also I think it is hilarious that the game makers find humor in all the pickle jokes about Deviljho. His quest has the word relish in it...

BG Level

Definitely alpha to start. You won't have any useful jewels for a bit. I barely have any as is now.

Also, tempered kirin was a fucking dick. Barely beat him on my last life.
    HR61 looks like

*edit* White winds wasn't as bad as I thought. Figured I'd have to fight all 4 of those fuckers at the same time.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    1 Shield mod and Guard 5 (I fulfill this with lv3 charm and usually Bazel body) is all you really need. Extra shield mods just reduce the amount of knockback from some levels of attacks (SnS/CB?/(Gun)lance, in terms of guard "strength"). Guard is what affects chip damage.

Currently I use Tobi LBG and just spam Thunder ammo, same thing I do for Kushala. I'm trying out Jho Bow to see if the results are any better or worse. Lances I hear do pretty well since you're not quite as immobile as HBG when guarding up close.

As an aside, hit HR 100 just before Jho event got noticed. Ended the quest with a pretty big sleep bombing.

Tried that and it was a bit easier to survive, but it's still not worth it for me for the frustration, and another completion without any R8 shartz. If this is the direction of the game, I'm pretty much done; I didn't sign up for Dark Souls.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

FWIW I went back to Tempered Jho this morning with Spread HBG and got a 15min clear solo. After having tried it (unsuccessfully) on Bow I got a lot more confident with dodging into him on some moves which creates many more openings. This solidified my decision to throw Health augment onto my Nergi HBG for basically Zombie Shotgun Shield HBG Pirate Ninja.

Palico with Radobaan weapon (sleep) and Flash/Shock trap gadget is also a pretty big help for overall uptime. I've been using Sleep wep on palico for like forever. I can't live without it. Got like 3? sleep bombs on him, Wyvern+2megabombs, then 4 shots of spread3 while he shakes off his sleep. Something like (~480+50)+(180x2)+(~16-20?x7)x4.

Carry Adamant seeds instead of Armorskin to erase his def down drool, eating for Moxie isn't a bad idea (the LR event quest with Jag/Puk/Lumu gives like 1-4 food vouchers per clear and vouchers make food skills 100% activation). Don't be shy with Max pots either. I restocked any time he ran away. Only used like 1-2 but Moxie did save me once.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I use the palico sleep weapon, but he's again, not doing his job. I did forget Blessing L3, but dieing still wasn't the real issue; doing damage was. I think I'll try cutting his tail off, then going for the kill next time, using Nerg HBG for after the tail carve.

I'm curious about the Health Augment on an HBG, because I've read it doesn't heal much per shot, due to it only applying healing on the first hit or one, in the case of spread.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    I use the palico sleep weapon, but he's again, not doing his job. I did forget Blessing L3, but dieing still wasn't the real issue; doing damage was. I think I'll try cutting his tail off, then going for the kill next time, using Nerg HBG for after the tail carve.

I'm curious about the Health Augment on an HBG, because I've read it doesn't heal much per shot, due to it only applying healing on the first hit or one, in the case of spread.
    Well shit. That's true. I applied the augment before I left for work and only checked now. It only heals for like one pellet. That's... a bit disheartening.

Upside is that it's pretty effective for Sticky and Wyvern which I carry for niche purposes. I imagine it's also not bad with Normal shots. May have to fit those in.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

tried my first tempered deviljho last night

it did not go well

God I love this game sometimes. The few times I've done this have been luck with the HH, but I think it's pretty consistent that if you stagger Jho during his enrage he'll counter attack charge you, and if you interrupt that it's a knockdown and he falls out of enrage.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mertron View Post
    tried my first tempered deviljho last night

it did not go well
    I tried one today myself... Same results.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Tempered jho reminds me of FFXIV - In the first hour it was released, my friend and I tried to SOS it, and got some amazing hunters (Wiggler DB JP hunter da real mvp). Now with everyone trying to do it for herostones, it's a total crapshoot, but still generally faster than solo. Also, my luck seems to have gotten worse as I don't get any augmenting stones anymore. Right now, I'm building the guild cross set for the "Great Luck" bonus and hopefully that helps. My only tip for Jho is to spam traps, crafting extra and getting more from camp when he moves (keep 1 trap handy for capture), and the best time to trap it is when it's exhausted, as I don't think it'll attack when pitfalled like it normally does.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Apparently it's gone now, so, bye bye Pickle Pie and back to the TED grind.