Closed Thread
Page 53 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 ... LastLast
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Mighty Bow Jewel is fucking awesome (except for Crit Draw Bow, since Dragon Piercer doesn't go to level 4 charge).

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

remind me to never invite people to fight my vaal hazaks

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Question for everyone I couldn't find the answer anywhere. Do monsters scale up based on your hunter rank? For example I just hit HR 13 and got the Deviljho quest. If I fight him now and again at HR50 does his difficulty scale so it stays relatively the same each time? Or am I going to get absolutely crushed now then later he will be super easy?

Any tips for Nergigante? I am hesitant to take him on yet. I am not sure which armor would be best going into that fight. I did get the awesome skull mask alpha. Not sure if it is good in the long run but it looks cool and has handicraft.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

monsters don’t scale based on hunter rank. I see people comment here and there that their HP pool may vary based on size but that’s about it. the fight won’t necesarily get “easier” but yeah as your gear/skill improves fighting things later on will get easier

tips for monsters will vary based on your weapon, but in general I think a first time fighting a mob you’re better off gearing for defense food/drinks while you learn attack patterns for survivability. as far as i know nergi doesn’t have any elemental attacks, he is just going to try to slam into you.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mertron View Post
    monsters don’t scale based on hunter rank. I see people comment here and there that their HP pool may vary based on size but that’s about it. the fight won’t necesarily get “easier” but yeah as your gear/skill improves fighting things later on will get easier

tips for monsters will vary based on your weapon, but in general I think a first time fighting a mob you’re better off gearing for defense food/drinks while you learn attack patterns for survivability. as far as i know nergi doesn’t have any elemental attacks, he is just going to try to slam into you.
    Thanks! That makes it clear for me. I think I am going to hold off for a bit on Nergi or Deviljho. I need to build up some better HR armor. I still have to fight HR versions of Odogeron and Legania and Diablos and Ugaan etc. I am still using long sword and I got the highest rank LS I can that has lightning damage for Nergi but I need better armor.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

To my knowledge monster strength scales with the size of the monster, and that's it. Hunter rank doesn't effect anything. When I go back and fight Jagras now, he drops like a wussy and can't do any significant damage to me even when I let him wail on me. Because my armor is so much higher than it was when I first started HR.

My brother just got through Nerg himself on the weekend, and I'll give you the same tips I gave him 'cause he was struggling big time.
    • Don't use the Chef's Choice Platter to increase your max HP. Use either the Meat/Fish Platter or a Custom Platter with all meat/fish selections. The difference between a (S) or (M) attack/defense bonus and a guaranteed (L) attack/defense bonus is huge.
    • Max potions. Use that shit before you go into the fight. The difference between having 150 HP and not having 150 HP is huge. I personally have 300+ max potions sitting in the stash and use one every single quest/investigation/whatever. It is the single biggest increase to your survivability in the game.
    • What I call the Nergigante superman attack is fucking brutal when it hits you. That shit kicks ass. When you see him in the air, that's his cue that he's going to dive bomb your ass. There is a trick to avoid it though. When you're running and perform a jump you'll do this panic dive forward into the ground that will leave you on the ground for a second. This jump, while in the air, makes you completely invulnerable for one second. Even if it looks like he's about to smoke you and you've fail to dodge it, as long as you're mid-air while he's dive bombing you, he'll fly right through you. Also useful against Diablos while he's burying underground too.
    • If you're still struggling, use Demon and Armor potions for some added help. They last until you either win or die.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I'd add that depending on your style, using a weapon that blocks and carrying Guard 5 (to minimize chip damage and pushback) gives you a lot of opportunities to assess the situation and learn the tells. I favored HBG with a shield mod for this. Jagras HBG makes a pretty decent low-ish investment shotgun with spread2.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Thanks! That makes it clear for me. I think I am going to hold off for a bit on Nergi or Deviljho. I need to build up some better HR armor. I still have to fight HR versions of Odogeron and Legania and Diablos and Ugaan etc. I am still using long sword and I got the highest rank LS I can that has lightning damage for Nergi but I need better armor.
    I would definitely recommend holding off on Nerg/Devil till you're wearing mostly blue set armor (Diablos/Legiana/Odogaron/Rathalos) and upgraded to max.
    You can beat the entire story mission in that stuff. I did.

Rath helm B, Rath body B, Odo gloves A, Odo pants B, Rath boots A, & Attack charm 2 can get you through no problem as a melee.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Also, have your palico equip the only weapon that has the sleep status; made from Radobaan materials. You'll get some opportunities to sleep bomb him. Also, you can shoot down the crystal overhangs in the middle of the map, that he should run to during the fight. Should knock him over, and there are some Vitality plants there too.

I find two Shield mods and either Reload/Recoil mod, on the Griffin Blazooka, wrecks him pretty good. You can break his horns pretty quick by opening with the Ghilli Mantle and Wyvern Blasting his face, then using Normal 3 to break the first one. When your palico puts him to sleep, you can sleep bomb the second one, and now he does a lot less damage to you. Make sure you recruit the Grimalkyns as they serve a useful distraction and are pretty hardy too.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    Make sure you recruit the Grimalkyns as they serve a useful distraction and are pretty hardy too.
    Gajalaka world bomb barrage is the greatest thing in the game.

Myr said I should dodge roll
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fiendish One
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If you can time it right, can also flash pod nergi out of his superman dive.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendishone View Post
    If you can time it right, can also flash pod nergi out of his superman dive.
    You usually don't want to do this since his spikes stay black so he can just do it again, but you can do it in an emergency for others.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Has anyone collected all the different palico tools? Which are your favorites?

BG Level

Horn anti-stun and earplug buffs are the bomb diggity. It's nice you can you start a fight with 2 buffs right away and more often than not it's buffs you actually want.

I'd say everything except shield and molotov are useful. For those two I never really saw a difference or felt an impact compared to how awesome everything else is. Plunderblade obviously less useful if you aren't farming.

Horn is probably best overall, second is vigor/flashwasps.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Meowlotov is good if you really need to break parts, especially stuff that might be kind of out of reach of your weapon.

Shield is just bad, no two ways around it.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Molotov has surprisingly decent damage potential if you ride the tool timer (probably with SnS or something you sheathe often) and maybe use Palico Rally skills.
    Traps is great for general use but obviously mostly useless on Elders.
    Horn is probably best general use.
    I carry Plunderblade pretty much all the time though, since it's money if nothing else and I'm foolishly collecting every weapon :V

I think I'd change tools more often if it was available at the item box in the town, but having to go into the tent mid-hunt or go to room for it is a bit of a flow break.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Good to know about horn. I will get that one next as well as the flashwasps. I have grown to rely so much on vigorwasps though I have to change my battle style to not rely on them for healing at the last moment.

Plunder blade will hopefully be helpful as I need to farm Odogeron and Rathalos for a bit before I can take on Nerg and the rest of the elder dragons.

BG Level

odo gem and rath ruby farming for days. rip

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    odo gem and rath ruby farming for days. rip
    Yeah We will see if I can stick with it or give up and move on.

Closed Thread
Page 53 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 ... LastLast