Page 6 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast
    Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by -Zer0- View Post
    I love this game as my entry to MHW, but goddamn am I terrible at it.
    MH2 on the PSP was my entry into the series and now my left index finger is in a permanent crook position.

The learning curve is steep especially for certain weapons. I prefered the katana as a beginner weapon for its ease of use, power, and mobility. Hammer is just plain fun and pretty simple to use but lacks the mobility. I'm personally trying to get better at the gunlance because it's my favorite, yet incredibly tough to pick up.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

It's always like that at the start. In the beginning Gendrome and Yian Kut Ku make you their bitch, but months later, you can put on starter gear and then wipe the floor with them.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I didn't get to play at all this weekend between demo'ing my kitchen and the snow. Very happy the beta is until tomorrow so I can get some play time in tonight.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY, GUYS.

Any real stand out weapons this time around? I know everyone was all about the Charge Blade last gen, but I spent a lot of time on IG and Swaxe.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Any real stand out weapons this time around? I know everyone was all about the Charge Blade last gen, but I spent a lot of time on IG and Swaxe.
    I think the great axe got an overhaul on it's charge and combo mechanics. It's much more badass looking now with some great charge combos. I haven't played since MH3U, like I said, so I can't say much on anything else. The glaive and charge blade are brand new to me.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Yeah I saw the changes to Swaxe. The charge burst being a "mount" is pretty great, so the monster doesn't get to turn to avoid it.

Some of the aerial things with IG look neat too, but I don't know how they actually feel. The vaulting multiple times, more specifically.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Yeah I saw the changes to Swaxe. The charge burst being a "mount" is pretty great, so the monster doesn't get to turn to avoid it.

Some of the aerial things with IG look neat too, but I don't know how they actually feel. The vaulting multiple times, more specifically.
    Oh I meant the Great Sword. FFXI nomenclature sneaking up on me again.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

After some more play with the beta, I think I'll definitely wait on the PC release, unless retail improves performance/visuals a lot before release, which I doubt. The atrocious environment detail pop-in, the 10fps animated monsters in the back-end of the current tile, and it can't hold 30fps when fighting a single monster at times.

Not sure how much worse the framerate stability gets in a full group, just been soloing here with my cat. Just wish we'd get a date for the PC port.

Like the other two MHs I've played (FU & 4U), I still can't bloody decide on a weapon of choice. I like my sword&board, but it's a weak as hell weapon, at least from what I've experienced. Just get slightly more mobility with your combos is all.

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Played beta. Day one no question. Also love it that Capcom used the Dragons Dogma menu sound effects. For some reason makes it feel weighty and the way the game looks and feels sometimes also kinda reflects DD. The game really seems like a little more streamlined with gathering and the fighting is more fine tuned without losing the traditional MH feel. I'm in love.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I've been hearing a lot of complaints about framerate on PS4 but I actually hadn't had that much of a problem. It stutters a bit loading into a quest but it's solid throughout after that point minus the background monsters being 10 FPS cardboard cutouts. For reference I have the Destiny 1 special edition white PS4.

As far as impressions I really hope this isn't the final state of the sound design because monster roars, especially the newer monsters, are pathetically weak sounding. That combined with the lack of audio feedback when hitting the head for stun and the lack of a chime when a shiny drops makes it hard to determine how effective you are. People have suggested setting the audio range to Wide but it still seems pretty quiet. I also hope you can remove things like the fishing pole or bug net from your item bar because having an extra like 4 items to scroll through makes inventory management a chore in a fight and the radial menu is pretty cumbersome if you want to move the camera while selecting items.

As far as weapon changes, Gun Lance is a lot more fun now and since shelling is raw based instead of flat damage it will hopefully scale into late game instead of rapidly falling behind. Charge Blade is back to 4U levels of OP with fast AED from Shield Spike or Guard Point and the fact that you don't lose Red Shield buff when doing the Ultra burst makes it a viable option again. It also feels like you charge phials a lot faster. One complaint I have though is the sliding swipe since I'm used to holding Up for the advancing slash > charged slash combo but I frequently end up sliding instead. Great Sword shoulder tackle is ridiculously good with the amount of super armor it gives you but other than that it seems pretty much the same it's always been though again charging seems faster. I can't imagine how fast it will be with Focus 3.

Sword and Shield feel weak in the demo because it's a status one if I remember correctly. If it had an element like the Dual Blades did it would be a lot stronger so I wouldn't worry too much about damage output based on the demo. Dual Blades and by extension Hammer drain significantly less stamina when in Demon Mode and charging respectively so they feel a lot more fluid to play and Dash Juice if it exists probably won't even be necessary. Dual Blades in particular have so many changes they are borderline OP with Demon Mode transition not rooting you in place for a couple of seconds and not losing it when getting hit. The loss of Demon Dash in Archdemon mode is kind of shitty but since it's so easy to maintain Demon Mode it's not that big of a deal and Archdemon is mainly just to keep the spin2win while your stamina comes back.

Overall I feel like a lot of my worries are gone and with news that more monsters will be added in patches down the line that gives me hope that G-rank will be released the same way.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Watching a streamer play a bit. He's been trying out all the weapons. I don't know if he's used HBG before or what, but he's destroying Diabolos with it. Para ammo to two rounds of cluster wrecks him.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Played through each of the missions with a full party, didn't notice any framerate issues at all honestly, I'm on PS4 Pro though, not sure if that matters?

also the weapon changes are fantastic, so nice to be able to aim and move with the bow so much easier, makes strafe shooting so smooth, gunlance honestly feels a lot more fluid in this game as opposed to previous entries, and switch axe is always fun, also a lot of QoL things like being able to move, albeit slowly, while using potions was a nice addition.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I played the first one way back in 2004 and didn't care much for it. I never got past Yian Kut-ku. I do want to give this series another chance after so many have sung its praises over the years. After playing the beta, I am slowly warming up to this one.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Finally had some time to tackle the Diabolos. Took me a few (re: lots) of tries to figure out which weapon I was best at. Eventually settled on the hammer and walloped him good. Glad his mechanics didn't change much, but his charge tackle out of the sand waterfall got me good. I hope we can get some hunting parties on PS4 at release.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

As someone who has never played this series before, how crucial is group size? Thinking a buddy and myself might play, and maybe my wife but that'd 2-3 at best for a group.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Should (hopefully) be able to pick up a random person to join your group. Sucks that wasn't an option during the beta, me and my friend couldn't duo the third boss due to the constant running away.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Out of all the weapons I got to mess with, I liked the long sword the most.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rulke View Post
    As someone who has never played this series before, how crucial is group size? Thinking a buddy and myself might play, and maybe my wife but that'd 2-3 at best for a group.
    Unless they've changed things majorly, it's less about group size and more about competency.
    In the Playstation games (I never played the Nintendo era games) you got three deaths total for the group, so if you're running with someone who just keeps getting killed, you would constantly fail out of missions.

I can solo group missions in the MH generation 1 and 2 games, so I'd say group size isn't crucial, it just lowers kill time and raises efficiency if you're all above the competency threshold.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Finally got to play for about 45 minutes last night. Took out the three solo hunts before I had to get the wifey from the train.

It seems they changed up the combos on Swaxe and IG slightly. Unless I'm crazy. The infinite sword combo on Swaxe is not the same. It used to be the vertical slashes over and over, now there's some horizontal mixed in there. Not a big deal, but that was the tail chopper. I also couldn't get the mounted phial burst to work, but I didn't do the training so I believe it was user error.

IG lost the twirly uppercut part of the bread and butter combo from last gen, it seems. They also made the swings a little more horizontal. Was annoying at first when I was hunting Barroth because I kept hitting his head and bouncing.

Some of the areas also threw me off with the elevations, but that's more getting used to the maps. Was fighting Anja on one of the steep slope areas and couldn't get the hits in because he was either above or below me and would run back and forth constantly. Also ended up below him on a ledge at one point and got hit somehow that didn't make sense. It was the attack where he lifts his leg and scratches the ground, but I was below the top surface of the ledge.

Didn't notice any bad fps drops on my PS4 slim. The background monsters with shitty frame rates was obvious, but I didn't see/feel any slowdowns.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

For the demo at least MHWorld seemed to have HP scaling based on 4 person hunts for multiplayer mode which is why 2 players took forever compared to solo. Typically they are scaled to 2 players for online which makes 3-4 player hunts a curb stomp battle, but supposedly World will scale to 2, 3, and 4 respectively so as far as the beefiness of monsters is concerned it shouldn't matter. That said having more people does mean more traps and status ailments assuming you have a LBG or SnS user so you can theoretically stun lock a monster until it's dead so the increased HP is irrelevant in a lot of cases.

Should also note if you have 2 players each of you will also have their cat with them for a kind of extra half a player so you never technically have only 2 people.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast