Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

rofl

I like to eat food
    BG Level

The story mode is supposed to take 40-50 hours apparently. Was going to post the article, but I don't know who owns what anymore so I'm erring on the side of caution.

The thing is, what are they using as an average hunt time? Cause even loading up the game in the beta, playing MH for the first time in a couple years, it only took me 7 mins to kill the first guy. And that was with some testing.

Not that the story ever really meant anything. Half the stuff doesn't even unlock until the very end/after the "main story."

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Gunlance changes are amazing. Thank fuck they got rid of that God awful heat gauge from generations. Also the amount of people shelling over full burst with the betas normal gunlance triggers me.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Is anyone doing multiplayer over the holiday weekend open beta? I got some free time to join in some hunts. I'm trying to solo Rathalos and learn some of the weapons I've never touched before.

PS4 ID - Jaybar3

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Got to play around on beta before, I'll probably roll with either greatsword, switchaxe, or dual blades. Charge blade wasn't that much fun or I wasn't good enough at it to enjoy. Long sword was okay and insect glaive was also fun. Dual blades and greatsword are a blast, so simple, but the elemental attack on switch axe is quite enjoyable too. I'll mess around on MH3U later since I won't be around my PS4 until tomorrow and try them all again.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I didn't notice until now but I must bring this up, thank god you can retrieve traps you've set down! Seriously we've all been there where we've laid down a trap only for the monster to run away and we just stand there going welp, just wasted that trap.

From the first beta I've been really loving the gunlance and hunting horn changes. Even lance & shield got a few nice additions.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Game is fun but after be spoiled with nintendo it kinda suck having portability

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Ok so earlier I said long sword was a good beginner weapon. I take that back after playing with it finally. It has changed a LOT since I remember. And. It. Is. So. Fun. So much more to pay attention to, I agree. I love the fact you absolutely need to make certain hits land to keep your DPS at its peak potential. Early long sword was simple, nimble, and spammy.

Regardless I've found my fondness for the gunlance and slowly starting to be more consistent with its combos. Can't wait for full game but even the beta was worth it.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Played around on beta I am terrible at switch axe combo but it looks awesome and feels so damn good to land. Long sword is not bad but it can't figure out how to do that jumping slashing combo in the videos, great sword is actually pretty good and I also enjoyed dual swords and bow. Still gotta try IG. Thought id hate hammer but it wasn't that bad at all.

Is there any conflict in multiplayer with doubling up on weapons or anything? I feel like dual blades switch axe and great sword are gonna be all over the place, does it help or hurt groups outside of hh?

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Played around on beta I am terrible at switch axe combo but it looks awesome and feels so damn good to land. Long sword is not bad but it can't figure out how to do that jumping slashing combo in the videos, great sword is actually pretty good and I also enjoyed dual swords and bow. Still gotta try IG. Thought id hate hammer but it wasn't that bad at all.

Is there any conflict in multiplayer with doubling up on weapons or anything? I feel like dual blades switch axe and great sword are gonna be all over the place, does it help or hurt groups outside of hh?
    This is why I changed my outlook on the LS. You need to land the final spirit gauge attack 3x to get a red outline on the spirit gauge meter. Once you have that then you can perform the helmsplitter. If you miss the attack I think you lose a stack of spirit gauge and have to land a full spirit gauge attack to get back to 3 stacks.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    This is why I changed my outlook on the LS. You need to land the final spirit gauge attack 3x to get a red outline on the spirit gauge meter. Once you have that then you can perform the helmsplitter. If you miss the attack I think you lose a stack of spirit gauge and have to land a full spirit gauge attack to get back to 3 stacks.
    That does sound like too much for me.

I felt like with dual blades on intermediate quest rock guy hunt I did no damage and had to use a few whet stones, is this normal or am I just that bad with them cause I thought they were high damage?

I find having bigger slower weapons harder for me not to dodge as much but to keep my target in front of me. Bow and db was really easy to keep things in front, but I feel like bow damage was an absolute joke. I was whiffing a ton with gs.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

That does sound like too much for me.

I felt like with dual blades on intermediate quest rock guy hunt I did no damage and had to use a few whet stones, is this normal or am I just that bad with them cause I thought they were high damage?

I find having bigger slower weapons harder for me not to dodge as much but to keep my target in front of me. Bow and db was really easy to keep things in front, but I feel like bow damage was an absolute joke. I was whiffing a ton with gs.
    Barroth is an armored monster which makes light weapons have a hard time landing hits. Once the armor is broken it becomes easier. Hammer is great against him.

Basically shits situational.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

lol @ using weapons that don't have natural ESP

I ain't about that life.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Bigger weapons really depend on how well you know the monster you're fighting, and even then, some monsters will just make you rage at how much they move.

If you treat bow as a "support class" you'll typically gain a deeper appreciation for it.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    Barroth is an armored monster which makes light weapons have a hard time landing hits. Once the armor is broken it becomes easier. Hammer is great against him.
    Barroth is only 5% weaker to Blunt weapons than Cutting weapons on his weakest hitzone (50 vs 55). In fact the mud gives him a huge 50 hitzone weakness to Water damage which the Dual Blades have. The problem is Barroth isn't weak where you think he would be. You need to aim for his arms or tail. Everything else is a sub 40 hitzone for any damage type. Even on the head where you think Blunt weapons would shine they have to deal with a 25 hitzone compared to Cutting 22. The only reason Hammer is good is because Super Pound and Big Bang have auto-ESP. Note that the spin2win and Demon Dance attacks for Dual Blades also have auto-ESP so you might have been spamming them on Barroth's head without noticing that you would normally bounce. Even with auto-ESP hitzones that would normally make you bounce still drain sharpness at double the rate, it just prevents it from interrupting your attacks.

I feel like bow damage was an absolute joke.
    Spam the ever living shit out of Dragon Piercer (Triangle+Circle when charging a shot). Try to line it up so you hit the monster lengthwise to get as many hits as possible. On Barroth your damage is going to suffer a bit because as stated earlier he's only really weak on the Tail and Arms to anything but if you can manage to get a shot through his chest it will most likely hit the arms and a few shots into the tail dealing good damage. For the Beta, Bow is probably one of the top DPS just because Dragon Piercer is so ridiculously OP.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Liking Gunlance way more than I thought I would. The amount of damage it can put out by abusing quick reload to reset attack strings is nuts. And I really prefer having a shield over trying to dodge stuff. Only major downside I've found so far is trying to keep up with mobs that move around a lot. Fighting Diablos with a group that's spread apart can be kind of a pain, I'm popping Challenger's mantle just so I don't have to follow the damn thing around so much.

Hunting Horn is also way stronger (and more fun) than I thought it would be. It's pretty satisfying to knock things down and land Recital > 6-hit Encore.

The weapon I actually thought I would like - Insect Glaive - ended up being kind of underwhelming. Keeping the red kinsect buff up so you can do decent damage feels like a bit of a hassle.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Voyage1970 View Post
    Barroth is only 5% weaker to Blunt weapons than Cutting weapons on his weakest hitzone (50 vs 55). In fact the mud gives him a huge 50 hitzone weakness to Water damage which the Dual Blades have. The problem is Barroth isn't weak where you think he would be. You need to aim for his arms or tail. Everything else is a sub 40 hitzone for any damage type. Even on the head where you think Blunt weapons would shine they have to deal with a 25 hitzone compared to Cutting 22. The only reason Hammer is good is because Super Pound and Big Bang have auto-ESP. Note that the spin2win and Demon Dance attacks for Dual Blades also have auto-ESP so you might have been spamming them on Barroth's head without noticing that you would normally bounce. Even with auto-ESP hitzones that would normally make you bounce still drain sharpness at double the rate, it just prevents it from interrupting your attacks.
    That's what I was trying to remember, the term for the bounce back effect. Thanks for breaking that down more clearly.

I haven't played a MH game in literally years. Can someone breakdown the weapons and their general uses/playstyles?

Looking at training there's like 150 button combinations and shit.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 151 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast