Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Why are people so upset about MHXX when it was similar to Generations/X or w/e and not so happy for MHWorld? I feel like I'm missing something huge here.

It looks like MH. It seems to play like MH with some new stuff.. it has all the basics MH has.. why isn't it MH?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Spoiler: show

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Yeah, with that post, I'd have to remain at cautiously optimistic.
    It sounds fine, it looks good.

The only reason for people to be hating is because Capcom, and I can totally understand that, Capcom has been on a real "fuck our players" bender for a while. Not Konami level, but some bitterness is justified.
    But this is it. A undelayed, global release MH, that is not on the shortbus console.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yeah, I guess I just don't understand why folks are so pissed that XX is delayed int he West or what have you when we're getting a console/PC one instead. Genuinely don't know.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

XX isn't delayed in the West, it's basically all but non existent. For it to be delayed there would have to be some speck of info to begin with and the wording in that tweet implies that MHWorld is what the west is getting with no plans for XX Switch. We don't know anything about MHWorld and from what little nuggets of info we've gotten there are a few red flags that are turning off some players who were just hoping to get XX which they've been anticipating for a while.

Just because it's on PC/Console again doesn't suddenly make the game good. This is personal bias but it's looking a lot like MHOnline which is more hack-n-slash than traditional monster hunter so again until I see some actual gameplay instead of scripted glorified cutscenes I'll remain skeptical. But I'm mainly just pissed Capcom doesn't seem to give a shit about XX in the west.

Edit: Also Capcom's past record for "westernizing" game franchises are: Dead Rising 3/4, RE6, DmC: Devil May Cry, Lost Planet 3. Not exactly inspiring confidence here.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

That interview question regarding joined servers: "All servers merged into one, everyone will play together"

I thought I had read there wasn't going to be cross-platform play. Does this confirm there will be, or am I dreaming?

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If the core combat mechanics and crafting system are actually intact for World then hopefully there's nothing to worry (unless Capcom's recent shittiness in fighting games extends to this).

That said, Capcom has to be absolutely fucking batshit insane to not release XX in the West. It's a guarantee to print money and would require a comparatively low amount of work to translate.

Quote Originally Posted by xElipsis View Post
    That interview question regarding joined servers: "All servers merged into one, everyone will play together"

I thought I had read there wasn't going to be cross-platform play. Does this confirm there will be, or am I dreaming?
    This is just talking about how the game won't be using a lobby system like all the previous entries. Players will just be able to drop in and out at will (depending on privacy settings I imagine)

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    If the core combat mechanics and crafting system are actually intact for World then hopefully there's nothing to worry (unless Capcom's recent shittiness in fighting games extends to this).

That said, Capcom has to be absolutely fucking batshit insane to not release XX in the West. It's a guarantee to print money and would require a comparatively low amount of work to translate.

This is just talking about how the game won't be using a lobby system like all the previous entries. Players will just be able to drop in and out at will (depending on privacy settings I imagine)
    The latter part is wrong though? Because the interview I saw said that hubs/lobbies will still exist, and the SOS system is just an add on sort of thing.

and yes, they said we could also play with EU/JP counterparts in that regard. Not sure how you're reading into it otherwise?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by xElipsis View Post

The "merged servers" is in regard to NA/EU/JP/Whatever, not cross-platform, as best I can tell.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Keep in mind though that Japan is only getting the PS4 version so if you want to play with glorious Nippon-jin you'll have to settle for that version.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

There's a leaked video of game play posted on /r/monsterhunter (BiliBili link 404's for me). The game looks great. I have no idea if I want the game for PC or PS4.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Someone uploaded it to youtube since the original seems to be down:

Potato quality video and sound and at times it's almost pitch black but you can get the gist of it (and the best part is visible so it's not too bad).

Edit: First youtube video got taken down, posted an alternative.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ok I feel way better about the game now. Still gonna be salty about lack of Western XX, but getting true MH on PC is gonna be awesome.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yasssssss this is just what I wanted to get back into MH.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

At SDCC today Capcom says they'll be releasing videos highlighting each weapon in the coming days.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Closest friends are saying they are getting this for the PS4. As much as I would love to be part of master graphics race PC, I think my decision has been made for me.

All the video footage has me psyched. As much as I've enjoyed playing the 3DS games with friends, I long have wanted to experience the game on console.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

There is some cell phone footage of a new highlight reel they showed off that is pretty sweet. Shows Switch Axe, more Longsword moves, Light Bow Gun, Gunlance, and Hunting Horn.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Doot~ Doot~, mother fuckers

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Capcom Japan just posted the weapon preview videos for all 14 weapons on their youtube channel: Link

Also Arekkz compiled them all into a single video if you don't feel like sifting through 14 thirty second clips:

A few takeaways:
    SnS can now do their aerial ledge jump off of monsters and the downward shield smash from the Shoryugeki Hunter Art
    Dual Blades has a reverse blade grip in Demon Mode and Demon Dance now looks like Thousand Kisses from Dragon's Dogma with a new finisher.
    Greatsword can cancel a charge into a shoulder bash and continue the charge in strong stance and it appears they removed the finisher swing from the strong charge and instead now has a new charge attack that hits twice.
    Longsword seems to have the Brave style evade mechanic (not the counter just the evade) and the big jumping finisher we saw earlier.
    Hammer has some Brave style finishers and a new combo that beats the ever living fuck out of a monster.
    Hunting Horn can now move while tooting albeit incredibly slowly.
    Lance didn't seem to have anything new, though the jump attack from a charge is still around.
    Gun Lance can shoot the spear tip into a monster for a delayed detonation.
    Switch Axe looks amazing and has much more fluid moves while in sword mode along with the mounting discharge we saw in earlier footage.
    Charge Blade has some new sliding moves in SnS mode that link into attacks.
    Insect Glaive is basically aerial style on steroids with the ability to re-position in the air multiple times and bounce off of a monster to go back into the air. They also get the Aerial style spinning windmill attack.
    Bow has some new sliding moves for positioning and appears to be able to combo different charge attacks and shot types (Power Shot and Volley Shot) into a seamless attack string. Coatings can also be seen applied so those are back.
    Light Bow Gun like Heavy Bow Gun can move while shooting except they move at basically normal speed. They can also place down mines that detonate when a bullet passes through them for additional damage.
    Heavy Bow Gun showed off what appears to be new ammo types with mortar type shells (new Cluster ammo?) and what appears to be the new Siege mode where they lay prone.

More generally I really hope those hit effects and sound effects are temporary because they are incredibly lack luster. They don't have the visceral impact sounds that previous entries had and in some cases it actually makes it harder to tell what you are doing. Great Sword, Hammer, and Bow charging are kinda hard to notice especially if you are in the middle of a fight and paying attention to the monster more than your character. KO effects look more like paralysis effects and even make the typical static shock sound that paralysis weapons used to. Hit effects on monsters made it look like you were hitting a piece of dirt or rock. No blood and it always made a dull thud sound.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Closed Thread