• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Some interesting drama going on with LeBettman and Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi.

https://deadspin.com/what-the-nhl-is...ium=socialflow

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Gonna laugh my ass off if the Flames actually leave.

Will also laugh my ass off if they talk all this shit and then do nothing after Nenshi gets re-elected.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I read that Ken King wants the city to foot the entire arena bill, get a major tax break, and will not be giving anything back to the city from these handouts.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Why would he when no other arena/team owner does? Cities foot 80% of the bill (or more), the owners rake in the profits. The only reparations are "economic" which are dubious at best.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

2017 NHL Offseason Thread - Phil Kessel Signed a Baby

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...-paid-for/amp/

Since that is the most recent. Yes the city paid for a decent chunk, but that entire area isnt just an arena. Also, the city will own the arena, not Katz.

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/co...mpanyFacts.asp
    All privately funded

https://doniveson.ca/wp-content/uplo...na-Funding.pdf

Bell centre and Rogers Arena were also 100% privately funded. Scotiabank place had a loan of 26.8 mil of the 170 cost.

Youre just wrong here bud.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

This arena debacle has really ramped up over the last month or so. I've kept my mouth shut (on here anyway) about it because the stance The Flames ownership and Bettman have taken is incredibly stupid to the point that if the Flames leave (they won't), then good riddance.

Plenty of arenas are privately funded as Nynja has pointed out. Almost all the NHL arenas in Canada are, and the one exception in Edmonton will see their investment paid back over a course of time through lease payments with interest from the Katz group. Calgary ownership doesn't want to pay anything back at all, doesn't want to pay rent, doesn't want to share revenues, barely wants to contribute to the initial costs and wants to be tax exempt as well. Not to mention the Flames ownership group is composed of fucking billionaires who are just trying to scam the city of as much money as possible. The richest of the bunch even moved out of Calgary to the U.K. so he could avoid paying taxes.

The good news is that Nenshi, the current mayor and favourite to be re-elected, isn't biting. And from the sounds of it, the more the NHL and the Flames ownership speak out, the more the citizens of Calgary are getting fed up with the bullshit they're spouting. There has been tons of research over the last 5 decades how arenas have little to no actual economic impact in the areas they're built in, and how cities usually never see their initial investment returned in the way of taxes and increased economic action, so I'm happy that Calgary as a city isn't just bending over backwards to appease a handful of greedy fucking billionaires

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...-paid-for/amp/

Since that is the most recent. Yes the city paid for a decent chunk, but that entire area isnt just an arena. Also, the city will own the arena, not Katz.

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/co...mpanyFacts.asp
    All privately funded

https://doniveson.ca/wp-content/uplo...na-Funding.pdf

Bell centre and Rogers Arena were also 100% privately funded. Scotiabank place had a loan of 26.8 mil of the 170 cost.

Youre just wrong here bud.
    I suppose I should start being more literal for you since you take everything I say literally (or figuratively, depending on how it suits the point you're trying to make). Yes, the Canadian arenas are privately funded. The lion's share of the league is not Canadian, most of those arenas are built with heavy assistance from public funding, most of those cities do not make any money off those arenas, and if you look outside the NHL, to the NBA and specifically the NFL, almost none of those stadiums are built without public funding.

So yes, Gary Bettman and the NHL and the Flames' partly-American heads of staff are trying to apply the "American" method of getting an arena built, which is to pay for less than half of it.

In less stupid news, the Leafs powerplay is cartoonishly effective.

BG's most likeable Québécois

BG Level

This third period took forever

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I suppose I should start being more literal for you since you take everything I say literally (or figuratively, depending on how it suits the point you're trying to make). Yes, the Canadian arenas are privately funded. The lion's share of the league is not Canadian, most of those arenas are built with heavy assistance from public funding, most of those cities do not make any money off those arenas, and if you look outside the NHL, to the NBA and specifically the NFL, almost none of those stadiums are built without public funding.

So yes, Gary Bettman and the NHL and the Flames' partly-American heads of staff are trying to apply the "American" method of getting an arena built, which is to pay for less than half of it.

In less stupid news, the Leafs powerplay is cartoonishly effective.
    http://hockey.ballparks.com/

Teams whos arenas were entirely or partially privately funded:
    Dallas (~70%)
    Islanders (~85% if I'm reading it correctly)
    Florida (City owns the arena)
    Buffalo (60%)
    Rangers
    Winnipeg (was built before the Jets came back)
    Columbus
    Colorado
    New Jersey (33%, the city funded the rest, but nothing came from taxpayers)
    St Louis (~75%)
    Los Angeles (~75%)
    Boston
    Chicago
    Washington
    Philadelphia

YOU
    ARE
    WRONG

Consol Energy Center was to be privately funded, but the state refused to give a gambling permit, so the funders bailed. Lemieux threatened to relocate, and then the state stepped in. Flyers fans love paying for the Pens arena!

Also, Vegas's arena was also privately funded.

24 American teams, 15 privately funded. The ones I didnt list, who knows what the caveats of the public funding were. I sincerely doubt the teams that got publicly funded arenas went to their negotiations with "we wont give anything back to the city and we want full tax exemption" the way Ken King is. I have a big problem with this greedy billionaire asking for the city for a free present, then wanting tax exemptions, then have the gall to charge 450$ for fucking lower bowl tickets.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Two more for Matthews tonight.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    http://hockey.ballparks.com/

Teams whos arenas were entirely or partially privately funded:
    Dallas (~70%)
    Islanders (~85% if I'm reading it correctly)
    Florida (City owns the arena)
    Buffalo (60%)
    Rangers
    Winnipeg (was built before the Jets came back)
    Columbus
    Colorado
    New Jersey (33%, the city funded the rest, but nothing came from taxpayers)
    St Louis (~75%)
    Los Angeles (~75%)
    Boston
    Chicago
    Washington
    Philadelphia

YOU
    ARE
    WRONG

Consol Energy Center was to be privately funded, but the state refused to give a gambling permit, so the funders bailed. Lemieux threatened to relocate, and then the state stepped in. Flyers fans love paying for the Pens arena!

Also, Vegas's arena was also privately funded.

24 American teams, 15 privately funded. The ones I didnt list, who knows what the caveats of the public funding were. I sincerely doubt the teams that got publicly funded arenas went to their negotiations with "we wont give anything back to the city and we want full tax exemption" the way Ken King is. I have a big problem with this greedy billionaire asking for the city for a free present, then wanting tax exemptions, then have the gall to charge 450$ for fucking lower bowl tickets.
    You know thats a hilarious point, I cant wait til I next see my Philly friends. They're paying for the arena the Pens have used en route to their last two cups.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Caps have been outscored 21-8 so far in the preseason

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

How do u give up a PPG 22 seconds in?????

Seriously, im at work and cant watch

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Dunno which Red Wing that was but he just blocked three blasts in about 15 seconds. Can't be feeling great after that shift lol.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

2 days ago Weber put the locker room on blast sayin theyre not ready for the regular season.

They got their first dub yesterday and are eviscerating the Sens tonight.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

And Mete just scored

He doesnt want to go back to London

BG's most likeable Québécois

BG Level

Too weak to get to 10

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Just got 2 tickets for Caps@Bruins, Nov 4. On the glass, behind the goal the Caps shoot at twice. fucking pumped

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @PierreVLeBrun 5h5 hours ago
    Hearing that the Calgary Flames and Jaromir Jagr's camp are talking tonight. No certainty it happens but it's very possible.

I hope it doesn't mean Jankowski is getting sent down. I think it might mean Glass won't get signed. I think it does mean that Lazar has been a major disappointment during training camp so far.

Johnny - Mony - Ferland
    3M line
    Janko - Benny - Jagr
    Any mix of Stajan, Brouwer, Glass (if he gets signed), F. Hamilton, and whoever else is left for the forth line

Stuff of dreams right there

Edit: I forgot about Kris Versteeg lol. Third line will probably be Versteeg - Benny - Jagr and Janko (if he isn't sent to the AHL) will probably be on the 4th and might move around the lineup

BG Level

Not set in stone but according to Bob McKenzie CGY/Jagr signing is getting close $1 Mil base + $1 mil bonuses