1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 40 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 19 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 40 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 19 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Do we get AF2 with this patch? AF1 is... cute, but dorky. Like "RDM: Pee Wee Scout Edition." I want X'rhun Tia's pimp outfit.

Swiftcast on cooldown, yes. Because why not? Small potency increase, but an increase nonetheless. Plus it just flows well with the job; I often end up with both Verstone and Verfire ready at the same time because of Swiftcast.

Corps-a-corps and Displacement should be used to jump into/out of melee range for your wombo combo because it looks cool as fuck.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    Do we get AF2 with this patch? AF1 is... cute, but dorky. Like "RDM: Pee Wee Scout Edition." I want X'rhun Tia's pimp outfit.
    Level 70 quest gives it.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Excellent. All the more reason to grind to 70 ASAP I guess. Although RDM is my story job now so I'll get there anyway.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Some thoughts on the class after reaching 68. The class seems like there is some interesting ideas behind it but ultimately it just feels bland. The main issues I have are;

-The MP gauge does not fill fast enough, without 80 mp you are basically just 1,2,3'ing
    -Redundant spells, Jolt1/Jolt2(this is a new class..why??) Impact is stupid, and flare/holy + fire/thunder/aero/stone all do nothing. They could of made the spells unique but instead you just hit them for mana.
    -Melee is a gimick, go in 123 go out zzzz

Personally I think the pace of the class at fast SS could be fun but there is just no flavor there. It's just too basic and holds your hand too much. One way they could make the class more interesting is add something like a haste clock, where meeting certain requirements could add stacks or something making your cast faster.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I understand your concerns. Personally, the aesthetic flair of the class balances the straightforward nature of its gameplay. Chainspells and backflips are too much fun

Quote Originally Posted by Neon_Sea View Post
    -Redundant spells, Jolt1/Jolt2(this is a new class..why??
    Not sure what you mean by redundant. You use Jolt to proc dual cast to build into the other ones when you don't have dualcast. . . unless theres something I'm missing here and this isn't the optimal DPS rotation?

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

does Jolt II not overwrite Jolt? I'm 61 so wouldn't know. if it doesn't that is indeed reedickyulous.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I think they're remarking that a new job received a tiered spelled in the way that a class starting from level 1 would

That said, I can't say I agree. Aside from continuity, which is the lifeblood of this franchise, it also makes sense from a level sync perspective

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Well yeah, the class had to be designed from the ground up for sync and PotD considerations.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Ah true, didn't think about how it works in synced stuff. I mean the class is fun zipping around and blasting stuff at least.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The class is fun to me like how 3.0 MCH was fun to me. So it was a natural progression from my perspective.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    does Jolt II not overwrite Jolt? I'm 61 so wouldn't know. if it doesn't that is indeed reedickyulous.
    Not only that, but if you make a macro that only has Jolt 1, it will use Jolt 2 instead after 62.

(inb4 why are you making macros)

Quote Originally Posted by Neon_Sea View Post
    Some thoughts on the class after reaching 68. The class seems like there is some interesting ideas behind it but ultimately it just feels bland. The main issues I have are;

-The MP gauge does not fill fast enough, without 80 mp you are basically just 1,2,3'ing
    -Redundant spells, Jolt1/Jolt2(this is a new class..why??) Impact is stupid, and flare/holy + fire/thunder/aero/stone all do nothing. They could of made the spells unique but instead you just hit them for mana.
    -Melee is a gimick, go in 123 go out zzzz

Personally I think the pace of the class at fast SS could be fun but there is just no flavor there. It's just too basic and holds your hand too much. One way they could make the class more interesting is add something like a haste clock, where meeting certain requirements could add stacks or something making your cast faster.
    - Mana building is only slow for me when I fuck up and have the whit magic or black magic icon up on the gauge, halving gains for the other side.
    - Impact is not stupid, for the times you don't get a proc for verfire or verstone it's more DPS than casting Jolt II again for dualcast status for the same time spend. I tend to save my Impact for such occasions and so far I always tend to get "unlucky" on procs in the 30 seconds it is up.
    - Why are Verflare and Verholy in this comment? They are different from the other spells since they are part of your melee burst and have a nice mechanism to them to look for which to use for 100% verfire or verstone proc.
    - As for melee burst being a gimmick. Perhaps, but I really like the idea of building up for a melee burst and then going back to building mana, combined with melee burst just before the boss does some aoe and backflipping out is all kinds of awesome.

As for your idea to make the class better. Haste stacks? How on earth will that ever be better than instant cast dualcasts. Such an idea would only result in the removal of dualcast, a concept I like very much on this job.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

RDM does lack complexity, but all of the jobs have been simplified to a degree. For instance, DRK and WAR no longer have dots to keep up, and DRK specifically lost pretty much all of the oGCDs to weave in. MCH lost Lead Shot and their oGCDs, and all of the dps jobs lost their 3+ damage buffs to cycle in.

If you're arguing that RDM is simpler than other jobs, then that is a yes and no. From what I heard, SAM is complex, but as a person that raided with 3.x MCH and still considered it as the most complex dps job in the game, I'm not really persuaded by complexity. Complexity only really means it has a high learning curve, and once you learn it, it still follows the same rule of having a solid rotation.

It's relatively low on distinct resources even by 4.0's standards, particularly while leveling but also even at high level, and that makes it feel a little more shallow. Putting more variation between damage output might help -- the surfeit of attacks floating between 240-300 potency means that the spells are mostly differentiated by their Mana effects, rather than potentially wanting to save verfire or verstone for mini-burst or making acceleration a dps cooldown. I think that's *why* Jolt/Jolt II exist, such that players are encouraged to think of the ver*-ready procs as bonus damage even if they don't stay that way later. But compared to BLM's juggling or even Aetherflow/Aethertrail stacks + pet cooldowns it seems kinda simple. You've basically only really got Embolden and Manafication as a DPS cooldown, but it's funky even for that since it more lets you catch up to the next burst phase early.

And you don't really *get* a burst phase until 50; Jolt I-Veraero is only 20 potency less than Enchanted Riposte-Enchanted Zwerchau. Likewise, you can't really burn Mana early after you get Jolt II, since melee's a Potency loss unless you get to the Enchanted Redoublement.

Simple's not necessarily a bad thing, but an odd design decision.

((That said, Dualcast's behavior still bugs me. It's not consumed by Fleche or autoattacks, which is nice, but it is consumed by Sprint and even using a potion?))

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Clearly the ability to chug a potion instantly was developed in order to become the highlight of frat parties.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/f...328408/?page=2

Funnily this thread sort of come back to what I said a few days back in another thread. Some people are upset by the fact the use of the sword is locked behind a 80+ gauge. Solution would be to increase the black/white mana generation from 3 to 8 for normal and to +14 for enhanced ones. Less casting more meleeing while still having to cast.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

That's just going to lead to a weaker overall enchanted combo.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Not if the combo potency is left untouched. The reason we have to cast so much is because the spells give +3-11 outside of flare/holy, the idea would be to allow us to fill up faster with less casts, I don't see anything wrong with it.

But again, I get their point and the current state is not bothering me one bit. I just love the job the way it is, as I loved DRK when it came out despite people moaning about it.

I don't think mana is necessarily that slow but I would like to see the dash and retreat attacks get a potency nerf but a cool down increase. I love RDMs mobility and the satisfaction of being able to dodge with basically just those two skills.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

note to self, the range on Displacement will shove you into Zurvan's ring of fiery death

also, vaulting out of one AoE into another is going to be a thing