+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Looks like the nearest location to see totality from the DC/VA area is 500 miles away.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I am too far away to see totality but I will be able to see some of it. In central California. There is another eclipse in 2045 that I will probably be able to get to the path of totality for as it passes over Northern California.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Our drive to totality is 4.5hr one-way, so it'll be a road trip and picnic kind of day.

I plan on finding totality in 2024 and 2045 also; neither is too far.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

A lot of the local schools here are letting kids out early for "safety" reasons. Parents are confused and angry. It's pretty funny.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Bump. Only one week to go now! Make sure your prepared and have proper eye protection. If your traveling to get to the path of totality make sure you don't go the day of. The roads are going to come to a standstill in most places. Go the day before or even Saturday and find a place to camp or park someplace.

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Heading to Idaho for this to visit friends right before. Taking a telescope and 3 dslrs: wide view landscape video of the totality, photos thru the telescope, and 200mm on photos the 3rd. Going to try for Chromosphere, outter corona, bailys beads and of course the diamond ring all within 2 min 5 seconds (total for the area I am heading).
    That sounds great Tummie. Your a professional photographer I guess? I hope you will post your photos here if your able to get some good shots. Where I live is just on the edge of totality (east TN) but I convinced my family to travel just a little bit west to a tiny town that is right in the center. As far as I know it's the only town in this state where the center line goes directly through. I am a photographer but my camera is really old and I don't have the right setup for this. Other people will be able to get much better shots than I ever could so I probably won't even bring mine. The weather here might not even cooperate. It's clouldy and raining around here a lot this time of year. I am keeping my fingers crossed though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Oregon is getting nuts. All hospitals are on red alert and overstaffing in preparation; parking spaces at the coast are up to $500/day, and expected travel time from Portland - Salem (about 1.25hours normally) is expected to be 6 hours because of the traffic. Lasting from Friday through Monday. It's unreal. State is expected to see over 1 million visitors during this timeframe.

And we might have cloudcover during the eclipse, lol. 50/50 at this point. Going to make a shit ton of people flippin maaaaaaad.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I read south carolina expecting 4-5 million additional people. I'm staying home. I'll see non totality live and see totality on YouTube and the internet where it will look better through a camera lens and photoshop than it would have through my eyes anyway.

Maybe next time!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

my wife bought some glasses i think they are chinese i'm goign to go blind yolo

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    And we might have cloudcover during the eclipse, lol. 50/50 at this point. Going to make a shit ton of people flippin maaaaaaad.
    Current forecast shows Salem sunny and with 0% chance of precipitation. I think it'll probably be fine.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

historically on the day in western Nebraska, it's 50% clear, 40% partly cloudy, 10% cloudy; current forecast is partly cloudy. hmph, need a little good fortune

We're traveling the day of but leaving uncomfortably early. We shall see how I-76 and US 385 fare. I think it'll take all night to return.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Two Minutes and Six seconds of darkness from my own back yard. I'm taking the day off and enjoying it with my family. Praying the clouds stay away.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Bump. Only one week to go now! Make sure your prepared and have proper eye protection. If your traveling to get to the path of totality make sure you don't go the day of. The roads are going to come to a standstill in most places. Go the day before or even Saturday and find a place to camp or park someplace.

That sounds great Tummie. Your a professional photographer I guess? I hope you will post your photos here if your able to get some good shots. Where I live is just on the edge of totality (east TN) but I convinced my family to travel just a little bit west to a tiny town that is right in the center. As far as I know it's the only town in this state where the center line goes directly through. I am a photographer but my camera is really old and I don't have the right setup for this. Other people will be able to get much better shots than I ever could so I probably won't even bring mine. The weather here might not even cooperate. It's clouldy and raining around here a lot this time of year. I am keeping my fingers crossed though.
    I will post them probably the day after. I didn't have enough time to grab a new telephoto lens so we are just going to use one of our two teleecopes instead.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

^Cool. Telescopes better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    Oregon is getting nuts. All hospitals are on red alert and overstaffing in preparation; parking spaces at the coast are up to $500/day, and expected travel time from Portland - Salem (about 1.25hours normally) is expected to be 6 hours because of the traffic. Lasting from Friday through Monday. It's unreal. State is expected to see over 1 million visitors during this timeframe.

It's getting pretty crazy here too. There are not that many hotels in small towns here in east TN. I called one this month just out of curiosity and they have been booked up for this weekend for two years in advance. Because of the hotel sitituation city officials have been asking residents to open up their homes for rent. I have seen some ads for as high as $600 a night for one room (3 night minimum) and some larger houses also renting by the room for $400-500. I heard today people were waiting in line for as long as five hours at Ace Hardware and other stores to buy glasses but most places have run out.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I wish I could be in the path of totality. That being said I am going to set up my gopro and take a time lapse of the big event. I should see about a 75% partial eclipse on the coast here where I am.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Oh, boy. Time to cave in and set up the AirBnB account, I think.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    I wish I could be in the path of totality. That being said I am going to set up my gopro and take a time lapse of the big event. I should see about a 75% partial eclipse on the coast here where I am.
    I know you're heavy into photography. I have an entry sale, do I need a special lense to photograph this? Will pointing my camera at the sun and turning shutter speed up and iso low be enough?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    I know you're heavy into photography. I have an entry sale, do I need a special lense to photograph this? Will pointing my camera at the sun and turning shutter speed up and iso low be enough?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    If you are in the path of totality during the 2.5 minutes of totality you will actually need a tripod and high iso and slow shutter speed to capture photos of the corona. If you are not in the path of totality you can burn out your sensor and damage your eyes if you point your camera at the sun without a solar filter in front of your camera (if you are using a telephoto lens). If you are using a wide angle lens and the sun doesn't fill too much of your viewfinder then you can safely take photos with the sun in the viewfinder and yes in that case you want to stop down (small aperture) and fast shutter speed.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm going to be one of those assholes driving from Washington to Oregon. We'll be bringing our mobile house trailer thinger, and we already know where we can just pull off the road and camp, but still... gonna be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Thought this was a cool demonstration and relevant to this thread. https://petapixel.com/2017/08/19/sho...can-melt-dslr/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast