+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Tarage View Post
    Was in a forest above John Day in Oregon. That was by far the most ethereal and alien thing I have ever seen. I can't even put into words how amazing it was.

If you ever have a chance to get to totality, do it. The difference between 99 and 100% is the difference between night and day. Literally. I saw stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Definitely doing Texas for 2024...People say total solar eclipses aren't a big deal but trust me, photos as beautiful as they are don't do it justice.
    Echoing the above. The sun and moon looking amazing is only a small part of the experience.

The atmosphere leading up to, and during the eclipse, was just... eerie, strange, yet soothing. The sky starting to darken a bit, sunlight getting weaker, seeing shadows from clouds, and then it starts to get dark, animals and nature start making noise, and then totality happens and it's completely dark like night time, except it's the middle of the freaking day.

Idk, it's hard to describe it, but seeing the sun being covered by the moon is only a single part of the entire experience.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Echoing the above. The sun and moon looking amazing is only a small part of the experience.

The atmosphere leading up to, and during the eclipse, was just... eerie, strange, yet soothing. The sky starting to darken a bit, sunlight getting weaker, seeing shadows from clouds, and then it starts to get dark, animals and nature start making noise, and then totality happens and it's completely dark like night time, except it's the middle of the freaking day.

Idk, it's hard to describe it, but seeing the sun being covered by the moon is only a single part of the entire experience.
    Odd, I swear I had the opposite experience. Everything got quiet as fuck for me.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Tarage View Post
    Odd, I swear I had the opposite experience. Everything got quiet as fuck for me.
    I was in a huge crowd of people, so only heard roaring crowds. There were some very confused birds that were briefly circling immediately after totality began.

One thing that I noticed that was weird is while it felt like twilight, immediately before or immediately after sunset, but it's like there were suns coming up / going down on both the north and south horizons as there were areas of the sky on either end that weren't in the shadow of totality. We didn't see much in the way of stars (there were a few), but we were in downtown Salem, so that was expected.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I got home yesterday and I could have posted but I still could not find the words for what I had just seen. It was the most amazing thing I have ever beheld in my life. I have seen the disc of the Milky Way across the sky on a dark night in the middle of a National Park but this topped it. We were in Spring City, TN right in the middle of the path of totalitly. I do not live very far from there but were I live was just inside the path and I convinced my family to go over there for the day and explaining that the closer you are to to the center the longer it would last. I had reserved a spot beforehand on someone's property in a field that was two miles away from the middle of town. I had heard that they were expecting over 10,000 people crammed into a town of just over 1,000 so that's why I searched and found a place away from the crowd. It was more like twice that many. It was perfect because it was a open field with no trees or buildings to obstruct your view. It was hot but otherwise the weather was perfect. I only saw a few clouds way off in the distance. We brought food and drinks and had a picnic and talked to other people that were there before it began. The partial ecilpse started at 1:03pm EST that's the pre-umbra stage. A lot of people were wondering why it wasn't getting dark even when the sun was about 75% covered while you were looking through your glasses which made me kinda laugh to myself. The total started at 2:31pm and had a duration of 2min39sec.

I just sat there absolutely mesmerized. Some other people were ooooing and aawwing and talking but I didn't say a word and just tried to live in the moment. When the total started there was a huge cheer from the direction of town that I could hear even though it was a couple miles away. It only lasted two and a half minutes but to me it seemed to last forever. I feel like there is still a part of my mind back there in that field watching.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8