+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Uber Tipping     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Uber pool for anything more than a 2 mile ride, so that won't change much.
    I'm a little confused why you'd wait for someone to pick you up for a ride less than 2 miles unless bad weather or too much too carry. Put your shoes on and get hoofing

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    I'm a little confused why you'd wait for someone to pick you up for a ride less than 2 miles unless bad weather or too much too carry. Put your shoes on and get hoofing
    Drunk, laziness, getting ride back to their car, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Inshiya View Post
    So uber drivers, about how much do you make an hour/week? Ballpark (I know it will vary a lot by region/driver).
    Depends on any events going on and such. Holidays i was averaging 25-30 an hour before expenses and bonuses, since then it's been about 20ish an hour before expenses and bonuses.

Drunk, laziness, getting ride back to their car, etc.

Depends on any events going on and such. Holidays i was averaging 25-30 an hour before expenses and bonuses, since then it's been about 20ish an hour before expenses and bonuses.
    Uber was such was a great evolutionary move from taxis in terms of how people get around in cars. I'm curious, from a Uber driver's perspective, what type of additional changes can be done across the board to benefit everyone?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Emphasis View Post
    Uber was such was a great evolutionary move from taxis in terms of how people get around in cars. I'm curious, from a Uber driver's perspective, what type of additional changes can be done across the board to benefit everyone?
    honestly, big thing is pay. When your average pay across all US markets is 65 cents a mile and the federal deduction is 53 cents a mile, there's an issue. At least in the bay area, it is approximately 40-60% cheaper to do an Uber X or Lyft compared to a taxi, and even more so if you use pool (which don't unless it's a short trip, it's dangerous as it forces the driver to pay attention to their phones in case another rider gets dropped in, just pay the extra 3 bucks), so there is room for growth. Honestly I would consider Uber and Lyft to be a great value even if it was only a few % cheaper then a taxi due to the fact you can order from your smart phone wherever you are, and more than likely the car is nicer, newer and cleaner then a taxi.

In my pipe dream world Uber/Lyft would slowly phase in a 25% fare increase, with driver cuts being increased to a minimum of 85 cents a mile for X/Pool, 1.75 a mile for Select (that's cars like Acura, Lexus, BMW, etc), 1.65 for XL (think Van or SUV) and go from there.

I'd also love to see a surcharge on extra long rides. This would help offset the dead miles heading back. My longest ride I've done was from Dublin CA to Sacramento, which was 90 miles and about an hour and a half. I set a destination filter for the ride back, and got no rides. Only reason I accepted the ride was the guy offered me an extra 25 in cash. 180 miles, 3 hours, half a tank of gas, and I only got paid 70 dollars before his 25 dollar tip. Half a tank of gas for me is about 19 dollars, I set aside about 20% for taxes (but mileage deductions mean I should pay significantly less), means after gas/taxes I got paid 36 dollars (plus 25 dollar tip) for 3+ hours of work. No one is going to wear down their car for that rate. Especially if you are going for a bonus which is based on ride quantity.

honestly, big thing is pay. When your average pay across all US markets is 65 cents a mile and the federal deduction is 53 cents a mile, there's an issue. At least in the bay area, it is approximately 40-60% cheaper to do an Uber X or Lyft compared to a taxi, and even more so if you use pool (which don't unless it's a short trip, it's dangerous as it forces the driver to pay attention to their phones in case another rider gets dropped in, just pay the extra 3 bucks), so there is room for growth. Honestly I would consider Uber and Lyft to be a great value even if it was only a few % cheaper then a taxi due to the fact you can order from your smart phone wherever you are, and more than likely the car is nicer, newer and cleaner then a taxi.

In my pipe dream world Uber/Lyft would slowly phase in a 25% fare increase, with driver cuts being increased to a minimum of 85 cents a mile for X/Pool, 1.75 a mile for Select (that's cars like Acura, Lexus, BMW, etc), 1.65 for XL (think Van or SUV) and go from there.

I'd also love to see a surcharge on extra long rides. This would help offset the dead miles heading back. My longest ride I've done was from Dublin CA to Sacramento, which was 90 miles and about an hour and a half. I set a destination filter for the ride back, and got no rides. Only reason I accepted the ride was the guy offered me an extra 25 in cash. 180 miles, 3 hours, half a tank of gas, and I only got paid 70 dollars before his 25 dollar tip. Half a tank of gas for me is about 19 dollars, I set aside about 20% for taxes (but mileage deductions mean I should pay significantly less), means after gas/taxes I got paid 36 dollars (plus 25 dollar tip) for 3+ hours of work. No one is going to wear down their car for that rate. Especially if you are going for a bonus which is based on ride quantity.
    Thank for the very detailed reply. I believe you made thorough and fair points. For what its worth, I reached out to Uber with the detailed feedback and suggestions.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I always tip 5 bucks if the ride is between 20-50 bucks. I tip whatever singles i have up to 4 if it's under that usually. P sure the guys appreciate it.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

70 bucks for 180 miles is fucking insane.

I know a 25 mile trip up to Westchester is easily 100 bucks at the deadest possible time.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Shit $70 bucks from bay area to sac? Pretty sure that's about what I paid to take Amtrak and that was being lucky to have the bus they use to get people slightly farther from stations near me instead of having to multi route just to get there. And shit was like 5-6 hour trip the one way. Fuck I need to get on this uber thing.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    I almost never carry cash, and if I do, it's generally never anything under a 20.

So I've never tipped an uber driver. (even the times I've wanted to I'm just like damn I wish uber had tipping built in)

but once it does get built in, i think it's going to go from complimentary to expected (probably get downrated or something if you don't tip)
    on lyft they can't see who tipped

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Heavencloud View Post
    on lyft they can't see who tipped
    Yes we can. It tells us which ride in the pay breakdown.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Shit $70 bucks from bay area to sac? Pretty sure that's about what I paid to take Amtrak and that was being lucky to have the bus they use to get people slightly farther from stations near me instead of having to multi route just to get there. And shit was like 5-6 hour trip the one way. Fuck I need to get on this uber thing.
    This was the sac ride which shows how much the rider paid versus what I got paid. Uber pockets the difference. This is why drivers were begging for in app tipping and why a lot of drivers call every passenger prior to pickup to ask the destination so they know whether to cancel or not.

Banned.

BG Level

Yes we can. It tells us which ride in the pay breakdown.
    Not right away, I meant. I guess you could wait to rate the passenger until you see if they tipped you.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Uber Tipping

You can't. We are required to rate before we move on to the next ride. Cant even look at our next destination until we rate the passenger.

And tonight ended early with me having to let a drunk passenger out at her car and immediately call the police to stop her before she killed herself or someone else.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    70 bucks for 180 miles is fucking insane.

I know a 25 mile trip up to Westchester is easily 100 bucks at the deadest possible time.
    Bestchester!! lol

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

You can't. We are required to rate before we move on to the next ride. Cant even look at our next destination until we rate the passenger.

And tonight ended early with me having to let a drunk passenger out at her car and immediately call the police to stop her before she killed herself or someone else.
    Good on ya

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I think this is the life cycle of "disruptive" innovations. A service exists, it is regulated in order to protect consumers and employees. Someone comes up with some alteration that allows them to do it cheaper, usually at cost of the employees and usually by skirting the regulations. It is a hit, but popularity leads to problems (including ones already solved by regulation before) popping up.

In Uber's case, they played around with insurance in accidents by dodging liability as a company, sticking riders with having to sue drivers who had no money (a problem that was addressed already in the taxi industry). They also told passengers that no tipping was necessary and that it wasn't expected (to make it seem cheaper to riders but ultimately shafting drivers).

And now we have to regulate them back down to the norm, a process which eliminates a lot of things that made the disruption service distinct from the regular one.

https://hbr.org/2017/06/uber-cant-be...o-shut-it-down

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

People already do rate passengers 1 star who don't tip or use Uber pool for anything more than a 2 mile ride, so that won't change much.
    Out of curiousity, what's the downside to Uber Pool for the drivers? I was on a business trip about 8 months ago and had to go about 3ish miles of downtown area and 8ish miles of highway to get to the airport. The conference finished up early and I had a few hours to burn but didn't feel like getting into anything, so I ubered way early. I did pool because I didn't mind other passengers and I thought it'd be better for the driver to get more fares. Is that not how it works?

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Out of curiousity, what's the downside to Uber Pool for the drivers? I was on a business trip about 8 months ago and had to go about 3ish miles of downtown area and 8ish miles of highway to get to the airport. The conference finished up early and I had a few hours to burn but didn't feel like getting into anything, so I ubered way early. I did pool because I didn't mind other passengers and I thought it'd be better for the driver to get more fares. Is that not how it works?
    You save on the shared portion of the trip because the shared mileage is split between you and the other rider, which in turn means the driver is only getting paid once for that portion of the mileage. So they don't really get much more for it. I'm sure that, depending on other details, it may still work out well for them but I think generally speaking a ride share driver makes the most money doing lots of rides originating from surge zones with quick pick-ups and destinations that don't take them too far out from surge zones.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    For drivers we have two problems. Problem one is it pays us less per mile and minute then x. Problem 2 is it requires us to focus on our phones due to it possibly adding in additional riders. If you live in a big city like sf people also have a tendency to demand you pick them up in illegal spots like bus stops which is its own can of worms.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That's some shit. I thought I was doing the driver a solid since it was the airport and I assumed it'd be easy to find others to add into the ride. It was all reimbursed cost to me so I didn't really care about the couple $ savings. Then again, the pool didn't really work out that well, kinda like what you mentioned about having to monitor the phone. She just had me to pick up, then maybe 5 minutes into the ride it updated and she had to drive a good 10 minutes through downtown traffic to get someone else, except they derped and input the wrong hotel address; she was another 5 miles across town. Quick cancel, wasted 15 minutes, and on the way to the airport again. App updated again a few exits before the airport and she took the exit, picked up someone from a hotel a minute or two from the exit, and right back on route. That part was more of what I was expecting, though with the wasted 15 minutes, I can't imagine it helped much.