+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Uber Tipping     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Looks like tipping in uber eats is bugged?

This is my first time using the service since the tipping was added and instead of prompting me to leave a tip for the driver I just had, it retroactively brought up the last driver I had (over a month+ ago) before they added in app tipping and asked if I wanted to leave a tip for her instead.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

On a side-note about to see if an uber driver is willing to go through a drive-thru (it's 5am so shouldn't be busy).

Ubereats can fuck outta here. McDonalds charges considerably more on their ubereats menu than they do in the restaurant (egg mcmuffin is 2 for $4 but $3.89 for 1 on ubereats). That's gonna be a hard pass.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    On a side-note about to see if an uber driver is willing to go through a drive-thru (it's 5am so shouldn't be busy).
    This is usually not a big deal as long as you don't have pool enabled. You just set your destination to the restaurant, then after you get the food you reset the destination back to your place. But if you have pool and someone else gets your driver you just created a gigantic headache for everyone.

Ubereats can fuck outta here. McDonalds charges considerably more on their ubereats menu than they do in the restaurant (egg mcmuffin is 2 for $4 but $3.89 for 1 on ubereats). That's gonna be a hard pass.
    I haven't ordered Ubereats before but are you sure it's not built in from Uber to profit? I know there's a delivery charge but a lot of that is probably going to the driver, Uber is probably the ones pocketing the up charge on the food.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I haven't ordered Ubereats before but are you sure it's not built in from Uber to profit?
    Really doesn't matter to me who gets the profit here. Uber or McDonalds idc. lol I'm not paying double for my food. I ended up getting a regular uber driver and just tipped 5. Better than paying 30 bucks for the 15 dollars worth of food I ordered, lol

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    I haven't ordered Ubereats before but are you sure it's not built in from Uber to profit? I know there's a delivery charge but a lot of that is probably going to the driver, Uber is probably the ones pocketing the up charge on the food.
    LOL

The driver isn't getting shit. That all goes to Uber.

I work IT for a restaurant company with 35 locations. We give Uber a 30% discount on our menu just to be on their platform, and then they turn around and charge you (the patron) an extra 20-40% markup on the food, PLUS delivery charges.

Uber is fucking killing it rn

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So you pay a delivery charge to have it delivered wtf is the upcharge for? Fuck that shit

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    This is usually not a big deal as long as you don't have pool enabled. You just set your destination to the restaurant, then after you get the food you reset the destination back to your place. But if you have pool and someone else gets your driver you just created a gigantic headache for everyone.

You have to change the destination back before you get there. Even on non pool rides, if it thinks you are close to the drop off point, it will queue up your next ride before you get there. Dropped a couple of dipshits off at a restaurant and they didn't bother to check to see if it was open and I had a fresh ride ready to go about 1 mile from their drop off point and I had to leave them there cause I already had the next ride up and I get penalized if I cancel rides.

Also, as far as a drive through is concerned, always ask your driver. Food smells linger, and we get paid shit for time. My market is 11 cents a minute. I personally won't take anyone through a drive through unless they A: Tip me an extra 20 before we get in, and B: they buy me food/drink. My job is to get you to Point A to Point B. Not to sit in a busy ass in n out drive through for 20 minutes cause you are a lazy/cheap fuck.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    Uber is fucking killing it rn
    uber is bleeding out billions per year with several vacant top management positions (which no sane person would want to fill), open war between board factions, and no real path to profitability. their valuation, which is still grossly overinflated, was just slashed by 15% today.

uber's margins after the discount + markup in an arrangement like the one your company has w/ them are pretty fat, but that also means there's a lot of room for competitors to come in, since that service isn't anything unique.

anyway, on topic, i did book a ride home from a party on saturday night, but i have no idea if i tipped bc i was def bordering on blackout status. i sure hope i did though!

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

imagine making $8.7 billion in a quarter and having that be a $645 million loss. IN A QUARTER. FOR RIDE SHARING. AND SOMEHOW THATS AN IMPROVEMENT

At least it goes to show how fucking useless top level management is

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post
    uber is bleeding out billions per year with several vacant top management positions (which no sane person would want to fill), open war between board factions, and no real path to profitability. their valuation, which is still grossly overinflated, was just slashed by 15% today.

uber's margins after the discount + markup in an arrangement like the one your company has w/ them are pretty fat, but that also means there's a lot of room for competitors to come in, since that service isn't anything unique.

anyway, on topic, i did book a ride home from a party on saturday night, but i have no idea if i tipped bc i was def bordering on blackout status. i sure hope i did though!
    You can check your emailed receipts. You can tip up to 30 days after a ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

oh sweet, thanks for the heads up! i just tossed my boy neil hell of stars and a few bucks for carting my disastrously drunk ass around

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post

gd, that's insane. I only assumed based off the fact that we work with some of their competitors who charge way less we still see get the most business through Uber

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I usually tip at least a dollar. I know Uber drivers don't get a whole lot of pay. If it's a longer trip or bad conditions or something I'll tip more. If they also make extra stops or help in some way then I'll tip more too.

User was infracted for this post.

Christ, where are they bleeding money from? subsidizing drivers or what? I don't see any ads or anything for uber so idk how they can be losing so much goddam money.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

My wife dropped uber as soon as Lyft partnered with delta. Now she gets airline points with every Lyft she takes.

In nyc I use Juno(New cab service, it's in beta if anyone wants an invite) and the map is so much better than uber/Lyft, and the beta price is cheap af. It's not uncommon for a car ordered through juno to be 5-10% cheaper when my wife an I check both apps.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    Christ, where are they bleeding money from? subsidizing drivers or what? I don't see any ads or anything for uber so idk how they can be losing so much goddam money.
    Bunch of reasons. One is they are pushing hard for driverless tech. Secondly they are trying to expand way too quickly and they've lost a shit ton of money on international expansion. Third is the fact due to the shit pay, they have to keep offering crazy incentives to get people to sign up as the average driver lifespan is about 1 year. And fourth, if you word your complaint well, you can pretty much get a refund on just about any ride if the driver doesn't have a dash cam.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

In my country (Poland), unfortunately, Uber has a hard time. I use it myself, but taxi drivers from the corporation are constantly making problems. Society supports Uber, but the media is giving them water from the brain.
    I always like to give a tip, because it's not so easy to be a uber driver (taxi drivers can prepare a provocation). I like drive (in rl like in real also) and I really don't like "normal" taxi drivers.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    this was actually a timely necro, NC just published the latest in horan's ongoing uber series yesterday: https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017...5-billion.html

there's a collected version of the entire series linked and it's well worth a read if you find this type of stuff interesting. the author's a veteran industry expert that goes into great detail on the economics and feasibility of their business model.

the short version of the latest is while we don't really know a lot of the specifics, the info we have available now shows they're on track to lose as much as $5,000,000,000 this year, their eighth year of operations. this company is doomed.

Uber doesn’t want people tipping. Uber works on volume and repeat customers, and they need to be the lowest-costing option. By brainwashing people to not tip, they achieved that.

It also allows people to subconsciously justify not tipping because “Uber keeps telling me I don’t have to,” and that “it’s not necessary.”

For a long time, Uber brainwashed people in this manner, and they also brainwashed people to think that drivers were wiping their asses with $100 bills, and that they were making bank.

See how this manipulation benefits them? It’s very clever and devious.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Necroing is still a thing?