+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber Tipping     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Uber Tipping

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/20/tech...ing/index.html

On Tuesday, the company said it will introduce tipping for drivers, something the company has strongly objected to in the past. The $68 billion startup has been roiled by a series of crises in recent months, ranging from sexual harassment allegations to an executive exodus, to a video surfacing of CEO Travis Kalanick arguing with his Uber driver. - See more at: http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/20/tech....R3hECl0w.dpuf
    Have people tipped from using Uber before? Thought this was an interesting topic as I never used to tip because I assumed it was worked out in the final price. I haven't kept up with Uber controversies but I thought Uber drivers were paid more than standard taxi drivers and therefore you didn't really have to tip. Will the drivers expect tips now? I've had asshole taxi drivers demand tips and generally felt they are worse service than Ubers. Costs for everything keep going up!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I have mine set to 15%. Upon starting an account with them it asked if I would like to set a tip rate. Always thought this was just a thing.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    I have mine set to 15%. Upon starting an account with them it asked if I would like to set a tip rate. Always thought this was just a thing.
    Uber didn't have tipping before. You sure it wasn't Lyft?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

always handed uber bros a few bucks at the end of a trip assuming the service was competent. the service industry is universally terrible and really if you have to ask yourself should i tip the answer is almost always yeah fuck it why not.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Uber didn't have tipping before. You sure it wasn't Lyft?
    I only use Uber. Maybe it's something that is special to MN.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Uber Taxi which is not available in all markets have had tipping built in due to regulations. Standard Uber did not.

I've always believed tipping should be up to the rider. With Uber not allowing in app tipping prior, they took that choice out of the customers hands. I don't expect every rider to tip, but I do expect a tip if you ask me to go beyond delivering you safely from point A to point B. Just last week I had a customer get pissed when I cancelled on them when I showed up and they were like, oh we only live like a mile away but we want you to carry all 5 of these heavy bags of groceries (mind you, this is at 1am when bars are about to be let out) up a full flight of stairs to our apartment. Politely told them to go fuck themselves on that one. But yeah, if you want us loading/unloading your luggage, adding an extra stop into your trip, etc. you should be tipping us cause all you are doing otherwise is fucking us. Especially if it winds up being some 2 hour drive to the middle of nowhere, where we can't catch a ride back to make up all the dead miles and time.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Never tipped Uber. Never will.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Never tipped Uber. Never will.
    Don't you only use it for super short trips anyways? If it's a minimum fare ride, I never expect it. Now if you were wanting full luggage loaded and unloaded and drove 45 minutes+ and you don't tip, when you are already getting a trip that's 40-60% cheaper then a cab and more than likely in a nicer car, you can promptly go fuck yourself

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wait people expect the driver to load their shit for them? I haven't ubered and haven't taxied in forever but also loaded my own shit. And lol carrying groceries for them. Yeah you want extra service that's gunna cost ya extra

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Don't you only use it for super short trips anyways? If it's a minimum fare ride, I never expect it. Now if you were wanting full luggage loaded and unloaded and drove 45 minutes+ and you don't tip, when you are already getting a trip that's 40-60% cheaper then a cab and more than likely in a nicer car, you can promptly go fuck yourself
    Yeah, I use it for short hops (sub-10 bucks) in New Orleans or JFK to Manhattan (or reverse) trips at offpeak times when getting a cab is a hassle. Usually I have a discount from ignoring Uber for weeks. I don't cart luggage and I always bring it in the Uber with me (Shoulder bag and backpack usually).

My last JFK run was like 35 bucks because I had a 30% discount and it was 5am.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Wait people expect the driver to load their shit for them? I haven't ubered and haven't taxied in forever but also loaded my own shit. And lol carrying groceries for them. Yeah you want extra service that's gunna cost ya extra
    Yup, I've also had people get upset cause I don't have gum/water for them, get pissy when I won't pull over to hook their phones up to my car's bluetooth, provide an auxilery jack, refuse to drive them through an in 'n out drive through, wait 10-15 minutes for them to run into the store, etc. I even had an asshole passenger while on a ride to Oakdale I was stupid to take (60+ miles each way, about 3 hours drive time round trip) say I should consider it lucky to work a part time job that pays 15 an hour where I get to set my own hours. Not really 15 an hour when I have gas expenses and car depreciation to go along with it.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yup, I've also had people get upset cause I don't have gum/water for them, get pissy when I won't pull over to hook their phones up to my car's bluetooth, provide an auxilery jack, refuse to drive them through an in 'n out drive through, wait 10-15 minutes for them to run into the store, etc. I even had an asshole passenger while on a ride to Oakdale I was stupid to take (60+ miles each way, about 3 hours drive time round trip) say I should consider it lucky to work a part time job that pays 15 an hour where I get to set my own hours. Not really 15 an hour when I have gas expenses and car depreciation to go along with it.
    Oh yeah, you live in California.

May as well be a different business out here.

I have a solid 4.89 rating and I'm quiet, unobtrusive, and possibly napping.

I love when they just grab me an XL because it's nearby and they want me to feel like a pimp on the way to the airport.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yeah, I use it for short hops (sub-10 bucks) in New Orleans or JFK to Manhattan (or reverse) trips at offpeak times when getting a cab is a hassle. Usually I have a discount from ignoring Uber for weeks. I don't cart luggage and I always bring it in the Uber with me (Shoulder bag and backpack usually).

My last JFK run was like 35 bucks because I had a 30% discount and it was 5am.
    How long of a ride was that? Depending on where you are, you may have just hosed your driver as he may have gotten like 20 bucks + tolls for that ride.

Out here unless it's an Uber Select ride, I get .635 cents per mile and .11 a minute. Last week I did 76 rides, 29+ hours online, made 657 in fares and 268 in bonuses. Taxes nuke about 200 of that, gas was another hundredish. So yeah, even just tossing a dollar or two towards your driver goes a long way. Luckily I got about 20 bucks in cash tips last week.

Oh yeah, you live in California.

May as well be a different business out here.

I have a solid 4.89 rating and I'm quiet, unobtrusive, and possibly napping.

I love when they just grab me an XL because it's nearby and they want me to feel like a pimp on the way to the airport.
    You're like my ideal passenger then. Had one passenger try to get me to give my soul to Jesus before the devil takes me over, had another couple of guys who spent the whole ride talking about eating pussy and how they'd even eat out a fat girl if she was famous enough like Amy Schumer.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

How long of a ride was that? Depending on where you are, you may have just hosed your driver as he may have gotten like 20 bucks + tolls for that ride.

Out here unless it's an Uber Select ride, I get .635 cents per mile and .11 a minute. Last week I did 76 rides, 29+ hours online, made 657 in fares and 268 in bonuses. Taxes nuke about 200 of that, gas was another hundredish. So yeah, even just tossing a dollar or two towards your driver goes a long way. Luckily I got about 20 bucks in cash tips last week.
    The ride was maybe 30 minutes total. 15 miles from here to JFK.

From what I understand, those discounts are taken on Uber's end. Not the driver's end. You get the full money and Uber eats the discount right?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

On the flip side I've had $150+ Uber rides to the airport due to surge and being sent on a business trip with 2 hours notice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

The ride was maybe 30 minutes total. 15 miles from here to JFK.

From what I understand, those discounts are taken on Uber's end. Not the driver's end. You get the full money and Uber eats the discount right?
    Yeah, Uber eats it. If it's that short that's fine. Typical ride to the airport for me is like 45-60 minutes depending on the bridge, and I get like 30 bucks + bridge toll unless it's surging or Select. I also wouldn't expect but appreciate a tip if it's a good surge as well. Think the best tip I've gotten was 20 bucks from 4 people driving them 4 miles to the fairgrounds for a halloween party.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I try to be quite and unobtrusive but whenever I do shit like that they always want to have a conversation with me. It's the worst.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I almost never carry cash, and if I do, it's generally never anything under a 20.

So I've never tipped an uber driver. (even the times I've wanted to I'm just like damn I wish uber had tipping built in)

but once it does get built in, i think it's going to go from complimentary to expected (probably get downrated or something if you don't tip)

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Drivers have to rate before moving on to the next ride, so we wouldn't know, then if they wanted to downgrade you, we'd have to go back and manually request Uber to do it. People already do rate passengers 1 star who don't tip or use Uber pool for anything more than a 2 mile ride, so that won't change much.

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/20/tech...ing/index.html

Have people tipped from using Uber before? Thought this was an interesting topic as I never used to tip because I assumed it was worked out in the final price. I haven't kept up with Uber controversies but I thought Uber drivers were paid more than standard taxi drivers and therefore you didn't really have to tip. Will the drivers expect tips now? I've had asshole taxi drivers demand tips and generally felt they are worse service than Ubers. Costs for everything keep going up!
    Missed your comment at the end. Uber used to pay real good, but in their attempt to get more riders, they have slashed driver rates. I only started about 8 months ago, but I'm hearing people who have done this full time for 3+ years have seen about a 20-30% reduction in pay since it started.

I stick my dick in Crayfish
    BG Level

So uber drivers, about how much do you make an hour/week? Ballpark (I know it will vary a lot by region/driver).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast