+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Afghanistan Thread: 16 years Later, America is still there

I couldn't find a comprehensive Afghanistan thread, so I decided to make one. If there is one, and I just missed it, we can get rid of this one obviously.

Also, I suck at OPs, so deal with it

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

i spent about three years there. it's a blast. that report would be the tiniest tip of the iceberg of the dumb shit and ludicrous decisions i saw.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lashkarg...inkId=38967713

A local police chief in Afghanistan says a suicide car bombing targeted Afghan soldiers lining up outside a bank in southern Helmand province, killing at least 29 people.

The governor of Helmand province put the death toll in the bombing outside the bank at 29, saying most of those killed in the explosion were civilians. Governor Hayatullah Hayat said the attack outside the Kabul Bank in the provincial capital of Lashkar Gah, also wounded 60 people.

In other news Afghanistan just got Test status for its cricket team.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40364481

That's good, for those of you who don't understand this silly game.

Quote Originally Posted by mallister View Post
    i spent about three years there. it's a blast. that report would be the tiniest tip of the iceberg of the dumb shit and ludicrous decisions i saw.
    Is there any chance of it becoming anything other than a middle-east shithole that hates us or should we just fucking bounce and be done with it?

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by GoggleHead View Post
    Is there any chance of it becoming anything other than a middle-east shithole that hates us or should we just fucking bounce and be done with it?
    it's hard not to go off on a pretty terrible racist diatribe here. the place could be a paradise but it won't ever be, and it's in equal measure because the country is sandwiched between iran and pakistan (with russia looming large in the background), our inept involvement post war, and the afghani's own peculiar mix of fatalism, ignorance, and religion.

on the other hand, the people are fucking survivors and there's a lot to admire about them (when they're not too busy trying to kill each other, or you) and holy shit the food is amazing. joe average on the street doesn't hate us, he doesn't give any more of a fuck about us than the average redneck here cares about anywhere else. there's a lot of resentment about the mismanagement that is going into the country but that's more focused inward on its own internal politics than anything else.

things may be radically different now, i don't have many people still in country to talk to any more and i've been home since 2010. the folks i still know say really not a lot's changed, but there's been a ramp up of attacks this year and the hospital i used to work at was actually attacked and shot up, where that would have been suicide to even contemplate when i was there (lot of warlords sent family there).

take that for whatever it's worth. there are volumes written after about afghanistan and it sure as hell makes for fascinating reading. i found the reality on the ground much different. there's a level of pervasive poverty and ignorance that simply has to be experienced to be believed.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...y-acknowledged

Pentagon reveals that the actual number of troops in the country is 11,000. Before they said the number was 8,400. They are to get an additional 4,000 sometime in the near future.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49559493

The U.S. is negotiating with the Taliban to remove 5400 troops within 20 weeks. In the meantime, the Taliban have continued to carry out bombings in the country.

Zalmay Khalilzad revealed details of the long-awaited deal for the first time in a TV interview after briefing Afghan leaders on the agreement.

But he said final approval still rested with US President Donald Trump.

A huge blast rocked Kabul as the interview aired.

The Taliban said it was behind the attack, which killed at least five civilians and wounded dozens more. It said foreign forces were the target.

The bomb targeted a residential compound housing foreigners and the Taliban said gunmen were also involved.

The militants now control more territory than at any time since the 2001 US invasion and have so far refused to talk to the Afghan government, whom they deride as American puppets.

"We have agreed that if the conditions proceed according to the agreement, we will leave within 135 days five bases in which we are present now," Mr Khalilzad said.

BG Level

Lol, good luck fellas.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49559493

The U.S. is negotiating with the Taliban to remove 5400 troops within 20 weeks. In the meantime, the Taliban have continued to carry out bombings in the country.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49624132

Trump says the deal is off.

In a series of tweets, Mr Trump said he had been set to meet senior Taliban leaders at Camp David on Sunday.

However he cancelled the meeting and called off negotiations after the group admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed a US soldier.

On Thursday, a Kabul car bomb, claimed by the Taliban killed 10 people including a US soldier.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

https://mobile.twitter.com/Stonekett...84817307283457

If Obama had announced he had SECRETLY invited the Taliban to the United States on the eve of 9-11, Republicans would have impeached him, tried him for treason, and hanged him on Washington Mall on live television while waving their guns and their bibles in utter fury.
    Where is the lie?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Happy 18th birthday to Operation Enduring Freedom.

BG Level

appropriately named

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/1...or-3-militants

The Taliban has released an American and an Australian in exchange for three commanders.

Kevin King, an American, and Timothy Weeks, an Australian, were abducted at gunpoint from a car in 2016 just outside the walls of the American University of Afghanistan, in Kabul. Both worked as teachers at the university.

In an address broadcast on state television, Ghani said he had granted the "conditional release" of three members of the Haqqani network, which is linked to the Taliban.

"We have decided to release these three Taliban prisoners who were arrested outside of Afghanistan," Ghani said, in order "to facilitate direct peace negotiations," The Associated Press reported.

Ghani said the Taliban figures that were being released are Anas Haqqani, Haji Mali Khan and Hafiz Rashid.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Looks like we may be moving towards getting out of Afghanistan, I guess. Guess Trump's 9/11 stunt didn't derail it too much.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Washington Post put out a report today that the military intentionally manipulated Afghanistan reports to paint a better picture as they knew within the first 3 years that we had no chance of success and all the money spent was being wasted.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Washington Post put out a report today that the military intentionally manipulated Afghanistan reports to paint a better picture as they knew within the first 3 years that we had no chance of success and all the money spent was being wasted.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Too bad congress wont do enough oversight on this

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Level

Yeah the meat of that report was floating around when I was there in 2007 and nobody did shit about it then aside from grin sheepishly and shrug.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51264744

An Air Force Bombardier E-11A (spy plane) has gone down in an area controlled by the Taliban.

Col Sonny Leggett said: "While the cause of crash is under investigation, there are no indications the crash was caused by enemy fire."

The aircraft crashed in Deh Yak district, Ghazni province, an area with a strong Taliban presence.

It is unclear how many people were on board.

Taliban social media accounts have posted unverified footage showing a burnt-out plane with US Air Force markings.

The video shows a Bombardier E-11A - the type of jet used by the US Air Force for electronic surveillance over Afghanistan.
    Supposedly it's one of only four that the Air Force has.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag