+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lights on motherboard     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Lights on motherboard

Recently built computer, was working fine last night. Today my friend tells me it was on when he woke up in the morning but nothing was on the monitor. I checked inside and notice a red light next to where it says CPU. Does this mean the CPU went bad?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Make and model of the board? Basically take that info and find the manual. Different vendors use a plethora of different indicators.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Its an MSI H170A PC MATE/ B150 PC MATE, the manual says the light indicates CPU not detected or fail.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Okay. Try first removing all connected power to the board and restarting. If nothing then move on to removing, cleaning carefully and reseating the CPU. Be sure to check the socket to make sure you didn't accidentally bend any pins or spill any thermal paste on a set of pins.

If you have bent pins, it's hard but you can attempt to fix them. I personally don't recommend it unless you have experience but that's an options. Similar, if you got any thermal paste on a pin, that's all she wrote.

Lastly, give it a good thoroughly dusting. Dust is one of a computers worst enemies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Its just weird my home build has been running since 09 and haven't had any problems even with dust. I just put his PC together last July and it was working fine Thursday night. Friday morning its borked.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Edgie View Post
    Its just weird my home build has been running since 09 and haven't had any problems even with dust. I just put his PC together last July and it was working fine Thursday night. Friday morning its borked.
    I would reiterate being very very careful when checking pins, paste, and seating the cpu again. It's real easy to muck up.