• Navigation

View Poll Results: Nvidia display driver crashes, more or less frequent with Windows 10?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • More frequent.

0 0%
  • Less frequent.

3 100.00%
  • No difference.

0 0%
  • FUUUUUUU Crashes no matter what cause my video card is a piece of shit.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
    Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Windows 7 to 10 for Gaming - One question (NVIDIA)

Display driver crashes are more or less frequent? Or you haven't noticed a difference?

I have heard personally that windows 10 is much more stable for gaming and games crash much less frequently.

But I wanted to know from people who have made the transition themself.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I don't know if I've ever had a display driver crash.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Nvidia and 10 have a long history of giving gamers grief since 10s release. The older nvidia card you have, the more driver crashes seem to happen.

I have a 9 year old system that I recently just put back to 7 because 10s creator update was causing the driver to freak out over anything.

If you look online, even with more current cards, people get mixed results and no definitive answer as to what causes it.

Best suggestion if using 10, get an Ati as people dont have this issue with them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I've been having this same exact issue with my new build using Win10 and a GTX 1070. I've been scrambling for 2 weeks looking for answers with no success. Got off the phone with MS and they were no help. I'll have to call them back to report it but yea I've heard a hundred answers and none of them right.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Azat View Post
    Best suggestion if using 10, get an Ati as people dont have this issue with them.
    Uh, well, I've been using AMD cards for years, and the early Win10 releases (and drivers) had quite the issues too... Not very funny when you randomly get kicked out of FFXIV instances because of fatal directX errors...
    Though that issue has been gone for a while now, I can't say if it was due to XIV, driver or windows updates.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

You are correct with that Niya, when 10 first released it had problems with both manufacturers but AMD was able to correct issue shortly after with driver updates.

For nvidia cards no one knows what causes it, can be running heavy gaming session, watching youtube, even something like a web ad that looked at you funny.
    Only thing people knew for sure is that those cards would run perfectly if back on 7.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've been running an nVidia card perfectly fine on Windows 10 for a long time. So the problem(s) is/are certainly not universal.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The only thing that consistently has given me problems with nVidia on 10 has been FFXI. Other problems I've had seem related more to additional nVidia software and not the core GPU/drivers. Uninstalling the GeForce Experience seemed to alleviate them.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Zero crashes since upgrading to 10.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My only issue with 10 was it completely destroyed InputMapper and DS4. No matter what I did I could not get either program to work. I ended up going back to 7 and InputMapper has been fine. I'll go back to 10 once more games have DX12. I can't think of a reason I personally need 10.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    My only issue with 10 was it completely destroyed InputMapper and DS4. No matter what I did I could not get either program to work. I ended up going back to 7 and InputMapper has been fine. I'll go back to 10 once more games have DX12. I can't think of a reason I personally need 10.
    Tried running things through Steam Big Picture (don't need to be Steam purchases, just launched through that)? Doing so gives you access to Steam's integrated (and highly customizable) controller support, which directly supports DS4s among others.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Tried running things through Steam Big Picture (don't need to be Steam purchases, just launched through that)? Doing so gives you access to Steam's integrated (and highly customizable) controller support, which directly supports DS4s among others.
    I was not aware of this! I'll try it later on. And yes, I run all other games (Origin, Uplay, etc) through Steam.