1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 28 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 28 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinking about playing - oldschool FFXI player

Hey everyone!

...has been some years since I played FFXI. I tried the first incarntaion of FFXIV for about a week and didn't like it so quit.

Came across this forum & realized there's a new version of FFXIV out so am thinking about giving it a go.

I remember all the problems FFXI had with game economy back in the day after it had been out for a few years and seeing as I'm a few years late to the party am curious what advice anyone might have for someone thinking about starting out fresh in XIV.

I realize it's a lot more PVE focused, so following the storyline is probably more rewarding than in XI.

I signed up for the free trial, but after creating a character it informed me that only the Windows version gets the free trial. So before I fire up my windows machine or just outright buy the game, I'm curious what kind of feedback I could get from any of ya'll old vets.

I probably only have a dozen or so hours a week to play right now, but am interested in something new!

Btw, is IRC still online?

Cheers!

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/12...ing-Questions/

Read the last few pages and post in there.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So tons of these threads if you look around, but quickly:

Don't think you are getting ffxi v2.0....different endgame, crafting, leveling, everything

12 hours a week is plenty...........once you are caught up. If you try to 100% everything, it'll take you 2+ years to catch up. If you beeline to endgame, you could be there in 2 months. Faster if you buy a jump potion.

Gear gets replaced every 6 months. Don't get attached to <that cool new drop you got>

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

If you approach XIV as a single player FF title you might end up happier than if you expect the kind of community that XI had. Aside from dungeons and trials, you can pretty much do the rest of the storyline and side stuff solo. However, the fun of the game is there in finishing tough battles with random players or getting a group of friends together if you got em. And the shiny graphics, great music, and epic oldschool FF references. I'd just do the free trial and see how you like it. It should tell you pretty much everything you need to know as far as whether you will enjoy the game.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

FFXI is cold where XIV is warm and embracing.

FFXI was deep where XIV is shallow and simple.

The free trial will get you to 35 and get you started in most of everything. Job, PvP, two 4 man boss fights, a handful of dungeons. If you like what you see you can buy FFXIV: Online to get XIV and Heavensward (There is no edition for just XIV: A Realm Reborn anymore) or you can pay $60 for the Complete Edition which has the Stormblood Expansion.

Its a fun popcorn MMO that really does nothing to compete for your attention day after day.

Thanks for all the replies...sounds like it'd be worth firing up my windows machine and giving it a whirl on the trial first.

I skimmed through the big 30 page thread, but it didn't seem to have a lot of what seemed like relevant info for someone brand new to FFXIV, but I think I'm starting to get the gist of it now.

Sounds like one can just jump right in and start making progress pretty easily with no major pitfalls to watch out for. The fact that the trial doesn't have a time limit makes me even more curious!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

By the way make sure when you do register you use the Recruit-a-Friend thing. It gives you a head piece that gives you +25% EXP until level25 which is good for leveling alt jobs.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

There are plently of things that can be said:

Gameplay:

Unlike XI you can now do everything via a system called duty finder.
    Pros: no need to /sh to get things done as it gather people from every servers of a core data center. Same with party finder.
    Cons: People can be jerks as they don't really suffer a penalty when they do.

Holy trinity, meaning its Tank/DPS/Healer, tank and healers being the least played due to the responsabilities it have and the mentality often pointing fingers at them when things goes wrong. On top recent expension changed them causing alot of upsets.

Dungeon/Trial/Endgame
    Relevant endgame will alway be capped, you obtain HL Gears by either farming tomes or raiding, tomes are generaly capped at 450/week and raids drop are allowed as 1 drop per person/duty. You generaly end up doing the same thing for 3-6 months daily.

Jobs:
    In my opinion they are quite varied and I think there is enough for everyone's taste even if I think they sometime could do more than what they give, same goes for alot of things.

Players Mentality:

There are alot of different players with different expectations, alot of players are relax, but alot are also idiot who will ragequit/QQ for reasons such as:
    They used the duty roulette (random duty finder with an extra reward for using it) and did not like the dungeon they ended in.
    They don't like the party composistion (the 2DPS are NIN and MNK)
    They want to rush throughr and you want to watch cs
    They think DPS is too slow or tank don't pull enough
    They are simply jerks (too many examples and possibilities)

Economy:

The AH is no more, now we have a market board with the prices on screen, it has its good but also alot of bads, most of the time people compete with prices in order to sell 1st, a stack of 99 items. You will for example try to sell something worth 10k/unit x20 and go to bed, to come back the next day with your items unsold cause the idiot dropped its price to 1k trying to sell 20 stacks of 99.

Hope it helps

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The FFXI you know from a few years back is also no more. FFXI now is completely different, with many things that would have been very nice to have during its heyday. Basically FFXI and FFXIV is like night and day.

All I can add is that Duty Finder is a disappointing system. At best, you're only going to be placed in the exact same dungeons over and over again and start wondering "didn't I do this yesterday and the day before..and the day before.. when will it pick something DIFFERENT?" Well I guess it's nitpicking. RNG is RNG, and DF is nothing but that.

Doing endgame stuff will feel like a chore if you don't have a solid group of people you know. At that stage in the game, you have to be perfect. You can't be human. Make a mistake, you hear no end of it. Also you need to be a psychic - when a EX comes out, you need to automagically know the fight before even doing it :D.

tl;dr - Community sucks real bad and don't expect any socializing in DF.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

That's a pretty lopsided way to look at the duty finder. RNG can be frustrating at times, but the convenience cannot be overstated. Never mind how accessible cross-server raid finder has made higher tier content. You're going to have plenty of bad experiences rolling the dice, but the game would be tremendously worse without them

You're also exaggerating the primal situation. Learning parties are plenty common, especially within a few weeks of release. Beyond that, yes, of course you're going to have people upset with you showing up to a fight unprepared. If you're not pioneering the content, you have no excuse for going in blind. And if you're dead set on really experiencing the fight without prior knowledge two months after everyone's farmed it ad nauseum, make your own party finder. It's that simple

Hyper casual with no statics to speak of, here, before anyone cries bias

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

That said, if you're looking for the XI experience, I'd go play XI. It's never been as user friendly as it is now, and XIV is very, very different

(Or just spend one lunch's worth per month to play both. The cost:time is pretty laughable in the grand scheme of things)

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post

You're also exaggerating the primal situation. Learning parties are plenty common, especially within a few weeks of release. Beyond that, yes, of course you're going to have people upset with you showing up to a fight unprepared. If you're not pioneering the content, you have no excuse for going in blind. And if you're dead set on really experiencing the fight without prior knowledge two months after everyone's farmed it ad nauseum, make your own party finder. It's that simple

Hyper casual with no statics to speak of, here, before anyone cries bias
    I think you missed his point, on Ragnarok you had "1 fail = kick" parties for Susano EX on the 18 of June, on the fucking 18, when the early access was on the 16. It just mean a small but still considerable group of players rushed the story just to get on top display this mentality. I think he is talking about these guys, they are generally the instigators for that kinda crap, and our playerbase not being the brightest just follow stupidily and milic.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I didn't miss his point at all. He's making that sound normal. It's not

Yesterday there were more Susano learning parties than farming parties on the Primal party finder

Like I said- it's an exaggeration

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Wait, were you talking about the primal as "data center" or talking about primals ex? Because this is where the confusion must be coming from.

As for the exageration, on chaos its not really exagerated altho people starts to chill a bit now.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And now for something completely different. I want to bring you the perspective of someone who enjoyed the once through experience of XIV but eventually quit due to the safe and unimaginative approach they've take to everything.

If you liked XI for he community, interesting itemization allowing for weird builds and min/maxing, open world content to BS with, item longevity and feeling accomplished when you get that rare Op item, you'll probably enjoy XIV for as long as I did. Which is to say once I ran out of story content the game was empty.

I can't call XIV a failure or a bad game cause it's hugely successful, but if you go into it thinking or wanting anything in the same zip code as XI you will not be pleased.

The story is great though, good for a play through, but unless grinding an endless treadmill of gear every 6 months in the same 3 boss fight rooms playing group jump rope is your idea of a stellar endgame experience, you'll probably quit like I did after you run out of things to do that aren't this games pitiful endgame scene.

I'd recommend XIV for the experience once, the story is great and I liked mid range tomfoolery more than most... the endgame was just painfully stale for me, and eventually I quit entirely, but I did still enjoy some of the time I spent on the game, just had to accept it wasn't for me and never will be.

So if I were you I would go into this with a "It's a cookie cutter MMO with a final fantasy skin", and erase all memories of XI and FF in general

Edit: I should also mention I liked what they did with crafting and gathering I just wish it was more useful.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The fishing is also fantastic.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Keep in mind you are jumping in on the release of the third expansion, and unlike FFXI's expansions where you could pretty much hop in between content at will, you will be gated by storyline here. That means you'll need to finish all of A Realm Reborn's main story and subsequent minor update stories before you can do anything related to Heavensward. Likewise, you'll have to finish Heavensward's main story and subsequent update stories before you can touch Stormblood. Starting from scratch, it's going to take you a good while.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I probably appreciate game lore more than most players, but even I wouldn't sit through two expansions of fetchquests before starting a third expansion of fetchquests. Jump potion or don't even bother tbh

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I can't imagine enjoying this game without experiencing the story and flavor along the way. That's 90% of the enjoyability of the game. It's the game's strong point - being a story-driven Final Fantasy game - and everything else is just built around that. I think people who use jump potion for anything other than catching up with friends who are already at endgame are crazy.

I mean, if someone is looking for a new game to play, there's no point in skipping most of it.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I can't imagine enjoying this game without experiencing the story and flavor along the way. That's 90% of the enjoyability of the game. It's the game's strong point - being a story-driven Final Fantasy game - and everything else is just built around that. I think people who use jump potion for anything other than catching up with friends who are already at endgame are crazy.

I mean, if someone is looking for a new game to play, there's no point in skipping most of it.
    I dont think jump potion is a bad thing, you can rewatch all scenes in your moghouse if you wanted to get a grasp of the story