+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clevo P650 Laptop     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Clevo P650 Laptop

Does anyone here have any experience with Clevo laptops? I'm on the market for a laptop and they seem to have a very nice specs/price ratio, specially if we consider the big names like Asus/Gigabyte/MSI (and I also can't stomach the gamer look on those, they're hideous).

I'm looking at the Clevo P650 with either a 1060 or a 1070 (300€ extra), now, one thing that worries me about these kind of heavy duty laptops is temperature and noise levels, I've never owned a gaming laptop and I'm also going to use it for school/work, I don't want to have a noisy laptop when I'm working.

About the GPU, considering I'm going to get the IPS version instead of the 120Hz TN, since I'm going to be playing mostly FF14 (and MH when it comes out next year), would a 1070 run cooler/quieter than a 1060 if I have V-sync on?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eragon Mcdohl
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Clevo P650 Laptop

I own a Clevo laptop that is 5 years old. Used it as my primary computer for work and gaming and I loved it. Can only speak for my specific model (had a 7970 gpu) but worked great, heavy as hell though. Not sure about the newer models but mine could get pretty hot. Wasn't super quiet but it wasn't jet engine loud either, but I did have it on top of a cooling pad most of the time to help with heat. I don't think I would ever bring it to class or work with me, its definitely a desktop replacement kind of thing.

Like I said, its pretty old so the newer ones might be more portable and less hot/noisy but I can at least say that its a good brand. Great bang for your buck especially considering you would probably pay way more for the same specs if it was in an Alienware or something.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Isn't Clevo also Sager? (i remember the alternate name for my Sager was a clevo model)

I've had mine for 4-5 years now and I've no complaints. Got it as a gaming laptop at the time and it never gave me any issues

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I almost bought one a couple years ago, only heard good things. Great price, performance, and size. I was big on sub 15" lighter weight things I could bring to school.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
    I own a Clevo laptop that is 5 years old. Used it as my primary computer for work and gaming and I loved it. Can only speak for my specific model (had a 7970 gpu) but worked great, heavy as hell though. Not sure about the newer models but mine could get pretty hot. Wasn't super quiet but it wasn't jet engine loud either, but I did have it on top of a cooling pad most of the time to help with heat. I don't think I would ever bring it to class or work with me, its definitely a desktop replacement kind of thing.

Like I said, its pretty old so the newer ones might be more portable and less hot/noisy but I can at least say that its a good brand. Great bang for your buck especially considering you would probably pay way more for the same specs if it was in an Alienware or something.
    Most likely not as heavy as they used to be, the one I'm looking at is a 15" incher and weights around 2.6 - 2.8 Kg (5.8 - 6.2 lbs), so not as slim and light as the big names but I'm kind of wary of them, since they most likely reach very high temps and throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Isn't Clevo also Sager? (i remember the alternate name for my Sager was a clevo model)
    Sager is one of the many companies that sell Clevo laptops, there's a bunch of them in Europe, they're all mainly the same laptops, you have a base configuration which you can customize a bit, then they slap the company name/logo on it.

Nice to hear good feedback on the Clevos, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and order one, hope I don't regret it.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Got the laptop yesterday, pretty happy with it, the store I ordered it in had a problem with my order and it got delayed 5 days, they put in a 7820HK instead of the 7700HQ as compensation, so no complaints.

The laptop doesn't get very hot with FFXIV as expected with the right fan profile, if left on auto the CPU gets into the mid 80s, otherwise the CPU and GPU hover in the 60s, the noise isn't that annoying which surprised me, even on max, it's not a screech/high pitched or a jet taking off.

The only complaints I might have is that the fans seem to ramp up sometimes while I'm not doing much (web browsing or opening some programs) and that the screen has some black crush (and zero backlight bleeding, which was a mild concern from what I read on the net).

All in all, I think I got an amazing deal, an i7 7820HK, 16 GB at 2400Mhz, GTX 1070, 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD for 1800€ incl VAT.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Does your have the dual GPU? That may help w/ the fan revving up.

It has an integrated card and a dedicated card. It uses the integrated card for basic shit, and the GTX for gaming/media

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah it does, it has hybrid mode and discrete mode, but still, sometimes it does rev up for a few seconds but it isn't that annoying, 95% of the time stays dead silent if not gaming.

I fixed the black crushing by lowering the contrast and upping the brightness on the intel drivers, so no more black crush.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I bought a P650HP3 (gpu 1060)......1 year + 14 days (bye bye warranty) the motherboard fucked up......end of the story. So keep in mind to take a good warranty.

User was infracted for this post.