She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If you are still using Photobucket, STEP AWAY FROM THEM NOW.

I thought people might want to know this, I only discovered this by accident..

Photobucket now charging $500 to direct link. They did not give anyone any warning either.

I'd say epic fail, and it seems to hit those that have a lot of pics that are direct linked (I had some but not that much). I'm currently switching to here and Imgur; it'll be another day or two before I've cleaned out my account. (10-15 years of pics takes a while to snag, you know?) I don't deal with people that do that, and I don't think anyone should..

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

*$400

Still a good way to kill off their main business model. At this point they should close up shop and rebrand themselves as a private hosting service.

Releasing this change solely through an updated ToS could net them a class action.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You can pay for your own server for much, much less annually to hotlink your own images from, the fuck they thinking with that pricetag?

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Oh goodie. Maybe now they'll die off and stop sending me emails for prints and picture frames for the account I made in 2006. And no, unsubscribing doesn't stop them for some reason.

As good as that picture of me killing Hydra on FFXI is, I don't think I need it printed and framed. They are ever insistent that I do.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Let's be fair, photobucket has been pretty shit for a while now. Bloated, ugly website with questionable direct linking practices.

If I need to upload something fast I use BGBucket, if I need to upload something that needs a "trusted source" I upload to Imgur.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Considering this hideous policy, I hope they did shoot themselves in the foot.

As for me, I'm getting the last of my files off now. I'd stuck with them for this long, you'd better believe there's a lot of pics there; from FFXI stuff, to some family stuff that I'm not reuping..well, you get the idea. I mainly used them for stuff I didn't care if it got resized, and used here for anything that I did care. I was lucky I didn't get hit by this, considering I used them for pics for my LJ too. Maybe it was because I used pics that weren't big in filesize for that.

But I ain't takin' chances. Now that I got the last few off, say goodnight Photobucket. *deletes account*

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Who the fuck still uses Photobucket anyway?

That shit was old in 2008.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Zet; go ahead and laugh, but someone like me who's been with them since 2007 or so and just kept piling up pics. Also some people used them for pics for sellin' stuff, if you saw the article, they're crying now.

They WERE a easy option, now they suck. Anyway my 'bucket's going to be gone in 48 hours, and I sent them a nasty note about the new policy with the delete. Better to use Imgur now. ^^

And..as I posted up to show a friend of another board how I felt about this mess(I actually discovered this nonsense from seeing the extortion pic on someone's sig):

Seriously tho, a lot of people only knew Photobucket for image hosting, I'm sure everyone here knows of other options but there are those that used them that knew no other option. I should know, the guy who got the pay up pic was surprised when I put up a list of image hosters over there..Sans 'Bucket of course.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm definitely laughing. They were trash for most of the last decade. Welcome to the future

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

As a comparison this fucking picture posted by Tekki made it to the frontpage of Reddit cost BG Bucket less that 5 cents in bandwidth and at its peaks got downloaded over 400 000 times per hour.

We could say that the money from BG Golde accounts goes down the toilet.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Thanks for the heads up. I was able to find my old login and page address and download all my old photos (some I thought lost from hard drive failures) as ZIPs.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Damn haven't used my account since forever but this makes me want to log on just to see if there was anything I still wanted before deleting it

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You two are welcome. I figured no one needs to be caught with their pants down about this. Most of us know where to find pic hosting, so all we got to do is save the contents of our 'bucket accounts if we have one.

Betcha this miss-step will run them out of business in 2-5 years though. Bad business, this.

Motherfuckers...

Found my old account info. Have some pictures on there from Blizzcon '09 that I want to download. Every time I try I get the same unspecific error, telling me "Something didn't click. Try again now." or some such bs. Tried on FF/Chrome/Edge without adblock of any kind (I REALLY want those pictures), without success.

Site barely fucking loads without adblock btw. Fucking hacks.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by NotGreyheim View Post
    Motherfuckers...

Found my old account info. Have some pictures on there from Blizzcon '09 that I want to download. Every time I try I get the same unspecific error, telling me "Something didn't click. Try again now." or some such bs. Tried on FF/Chrome/Edge without adblock of any kind (I REALLY want those pictures), without success.

Site barely fucking loads without adblock btw. Fucking hacks.
    Some of my pictures wont even load unless I turn adblocks off and now fucking pop ups everywhere. Fuck this site