+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

What's 'on' is the receiver to register inputs from the transmitter, not the tv itself.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    What's 'on' is the receiver to register inputs from the transmitter, not the tv itself.
    Same with the Alexa. We've already heard about CIA or the NSA being able to watch people from their TVs or whatever -- wouldn't put it beyond them to be able to the the same with an always on transmitter like for Alexa as well.

However, I don't worry about silly things like that because I'm not some sort of terrorist, exceptionally rich or famous, lol.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Same with the Alexa. We've already heard about CIA or the NSA being able to watch people from their TVs or whatever -- wouldn't put it beyond them to be able to the the same with an always on transmitter like for Alexa as well.

However, I don't worry about silly things like that because I'm not some sort of terrorist, exceptionally rich or famous, lol.
    Yeah, most people don't understand the reality is that they aren't important and who the fuck would bother spying on them. lolbigbrother.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post

Liar

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Yeah, most people don't understand the reality is that they aren't important and who the fuck would bother spying on them. lolbigbrother.
    Hey now I'm a pretty big deal you know

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Liar
    Touche! >_>

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

A tv's transmitter is restricted to a set of rudimentary commands (found in your remote in the form of IR to binary). Whereas alexa is always collecting aka 'listening' and 'interpreting' data. I don't care if you think big bra is spying on you. I was pointing out the falsehood of a previous claim.

Anyway, bought 8 lbs. of whey, creatine, and fish oil. Total spent: $36 bux (was a lightning deal pre prime doe).

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

i am ok with Alexa always being on because i am a very lonely person and i could use the company

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

So GF and I got an Echo Dot and we've been throwing references at Alexa. I asked her "Are watery tarts handing out swords a legitimate basis for government?" and she said "I couldn't find anything for 'watery tarts handing out swords a legitimate basis for government' so I've added it to your shopping list."

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

GF and I have same level of security clearance so we often discuss sensitive information in the apartment. Anything that is always on is, at best, probably frowned upon if anyone employing us were to know.

Aside from the fact that we all know the government has access if they really want to, easily exploitable weaknesses like always on voice processing should be avoided in some situations.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

LOL I just told Alexa "Roll 1 D3, then add 5" and she started playing "My Name Is" by Eminem

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Glad you guys are enjoying your echo's/dots. I have a few google homes set up around my house and love them, have a lot of smart devices linked to them like thermostat, lighting, etc. Eventually I'm adding my sprinkler system to it among other things like exterior and security lighting. It turns on and off my TV's as well. I don't care about who's listening and whatnot.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    LOL I just told Alexa "Roll 1 D3, then add 5" and she started playing "My Name Is" by Eminem
    Alexa's math is a little off.

I still laugh at my dad taping over his cable box because he thought the gubment was watching him sit in his chair half naked.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Tbh nobody should care about the government spying on you, they're going to do it whether you want them to or not.

People should be at least aware of the risk that weakly protected devices connected to your whole network pose. There exist many, many people who make use of exploits in wifi controlled systems (one example I remember specifically was a wifi controlled pool heater) to gain access to the entire network. It's not science fiction. Common or not, going "lol they think the govt is spying on them" wrt smart technology and thinking you've made a salient point is pretty much the opposite of smart.

For me, it's not so much doubting the possibility, but more of a, "Why him?!" As if there's some poor intern at the Pentagon that wants to a watch a near 400 pound dude in his shorts sleep and watch car/alien shows.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    For me, it's not so much doubting the possibility, but more of a, "Why him?!" As if there's some poor intern at the Pentagon that wants to a watch a near 400 pound dude in his shorts sleep and watch car/alien shows.
    For the non-government side of things the answer is literally "because I can". I follow some people on twitter who do stuff like this for kicks (gaining access but then just reporting the vuln. instead of stealing shit). It's pretty sobering. Like literally kids bored just cruising around in a car trying to catch a signal type of shit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7