Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

good job man. keep up the streak!

that stretch of time might count more than you think - i know i've personally been trying to stop chewing the inside of my mouth, and been slowly reducing the areas i attack. after about a month of holding out on the outer part of the cheeks i no longer attack that part. once you go a month without a habit, you've basically broken its spine, and its a lot easier to keep it rolling. after about 60 days or so a habit is usually completely broken, so you're over halfway there!

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I got effectively blacklisted by the majority of people I hang out with regularly this week because I called my friends' wife after he texted us that he was doing something incredibly dangerous.

Dude has a new job where he I guess is trying to show off and act like superman because he's literally not leaving the building for 10 hours. Doesn't eat, doesn't take breaks. Doesn't even allow time to use the restroom most of the time, so he claims at least. To make it worse he makes up for not eating by slamming like 4 Monsters in the morning then drinking 8-10 beers every night. Sometimes he skips dinner and just drinks for meals. Last week he was proud to admit he went 4 days without food. (wtf?)

Well I guess he decided this wasn't enough for him so he took it to another level and decided to stop sleeping too. So now his normal routine is to get home around 8pm, skip dinner to drink, stay up drinking until around 5am then sleep 2.5 hours to be at work at 8am. He did this for a week then texted everybody on Friday that he drank 2 bottles of Nyquil and took 10 sleeping pills to go to bed before his day off. So I freaked out and called his wife. Now I'm in violation of "bro code," lol.

On the plus side, these guys were most of the reason I was dropping a bunch of money on booze every week. I'm going to try to go sober for a couple weeks before a party I'm going to in NOLA at Halloween. Gonna have to find something better to do with my time at night now I guess. Probably better off.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

You did the right thing, honestly. If they can't see that, they're not your "bros".

That guy is on target to kill his heart, if not the rest of his vital organs.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    You did the right thing, honestly. If they can't see that, they're not your "bros".

That guy is on target to kill his heart, if not the rest of his vital organs.
    I only regret possibly losing one friend out of the group of around 6. Unfortunately, he's a pretty naive guy and also the best man of the dumbass in question. I feel like he would probably choose him, if forced. And he will probably be forced.

A shame, really.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

That's pure idiocy at it's finest. You will be better off by yourself.

And grats Xno on doing your thing!

I'm so bingey. I'll do only a few drinks in a night and then I spoil myself. Damn you good beer! But seriously, I've done a lot better since my wife moved to first shift. Reading about people here is good motivation too. Keep up the good work BG!

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

@18:00 - Is how to very effectively form new habits.

TL:DR? - You are what you think.

Grats to you Xno for cracking 30 days.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Thanks everyone. Got an appointment tomorrow with my doctor to discuss my drinking habits and gonna have him put me on naltrexone. He's said nothing but good things about it as far as lowering cravings. Just got to have my liver screened beforehand to prevent any complications supposedly.

BG Level

No, you most certainly do.

You made a good choice, you should be proud.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I asked my doctors for something to control cravings or what not and they wouldn't do it. Only said I could do in patient rehab. However, my liver enzymes are slightly high per my last blood screen from buying life insurance recently.

BG Level

The medication has a small chance to kill your liver, and risk increases with increase liver cell turnover.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I ordered some Naltrexone from India. I'm up to the full pill dose but I'm fighting with day drinking or waking up in the middle of the night and drinking. I have noticed that i'm drinking significantly less at night though. The drug definately works, but you need a lot of willpower to supplement it. My girlfriend set up a call with Claudia, but I sort of noped my way out of it because I don't deal well with talking to strangers about my issues.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I ordered some Naltrexone from India. I'm up to the full pill dose but I'm fighting with day drinking or waking up in the middle of the night and drinking. I have noticed that i'm drinking significantly less at night though. The drug definately works, but you need a lot of willpower to supplement it. My girlfriend set up a call with Claudia, but I sort of noped my way out of it because I don't deal well with talking to strangers about my issues.
    I somewhat prefer talking with a stranger (therapist). A benefit of my wife's work is I can get free counseling from therapists that work within the program. Two years ago when I was working at home for Enterprise I was in such a bad place. My wife told me about the program so I would go once every two weeks and those sessions really helped me get on track back then.

Even though she works for the same company, the facility she now works for doesn't have the program yet. As soon as they do I'm definitely going to do it since it helps so much. For me, being able to open up to someone who doesn't know every little thing about me sets me at ease. I don't feel like I'm being judged or viewed in a negative light.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

is it only success in here?

I'm slowly unravelling working 12 hours a day for p much a shit job. (it's okay but I'm overqualified and going nowhere ultimately) Whisky welcomes me home, and things are alright, albeit a few hours at a time.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post

I'm slowly unravelling working 12 hours a day for p much a shit job. (it's okay but I'm overqualified and going nowhere ultimately) Whisky welcomes me home, and things are alright, albeit a few hours at a time.
    I think we all dealt with negatives in some form or another which is why the thread was made.

This is how my mom started. She'd have a drink our two after work to de-stress. Will everyone become an alcoholic based solely on that? No, but it's something that you should try to be as aware of as you can. I come home from work, have a beer, and worry that I may end up relying on the alcohol the same way my mom did. Some of these guys deal with it in a more direct form than I do. My experience is from a child of an alcoholic rather than someone in recovery.

BG Level

i am so fucking glad we quit when we did. i drank a ridiculous amount for most of my life and come from a long line of alcoholics and connoisseurs of chemical enrichment. never had any issues, but i consider it a bullet dodged.

hang in there guys.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Just getting rid of all my comments; not worth the hassle enjoy your thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post

I'm still extremely nervous about fully stopping. My doctors haven't been much help in the form of giving me something to help. I'm still roughly 4-6 beers (8.5% or higher) a day although two weeks ago I had an extremely bad Saturday and ended up doing a fifth of spiced rum in a night without even noticing.

After reading a bit last night I'm going to attempt to do every other day to slowly ween down and then off. It's hard mentally for me because I love coming home from work (doesn't matter if it's a good day or bad) and drinking some great tasting craft beer while watching sports, wrestling, or just listening to music. I have a great wife and am really happy for the most part with my life. I just love the taste of great beer and the occasional mixed drink. That's my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I'm still extremely nervous about fully stopping. My doctors haven't been much help in the form of giving me something to help. I'm still roughly 4-6 beers (8.5% or higher) a day although two weeks ago I had an extremely bad Saturday and ended up doing a fifth of spiced rum in a night without even noticing.

After reading a bit last night I'm going to attempt to do every other day to slowly ween down and then off. It's hard mentally for me because I love coming home from work (doesn't matter if it's a good day or bad) and drinking some great tasting craft beer while watching sports, wrestling, or just listening to music. I have a great wife and am really happy for the most part with my life. I just love the taste of great beer and the occasional mixed drink. That's my problem.
    Are you in a situation where you could only have X amount of alcohol available before you start each night? The hardest part for me is keeping the mentality going into the night after I have a first drink, so maybe only having access to your pre-definied amount could help?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Are you in a situation where you could only have X amount of alcohol available before you start each night? The hardest part for me is keeping the mentality going into the night after I have a first drink, so maybe only having access to your pre-definied amount could help?
    That is exactly it. Put 2 beers, 10, or a 5th in my reach and the result is the same. Nothing will be left by the end of the night. My doctor did say to do 1-2 less a night for a few weeks and go from there. I could always just do 4 packs since that's very common anymore.