+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

4 packs of pints? That's only a bit less than a 6 pack of regular 12oz. It's a start, but overall the volume isn't much different.

What about moving away from those Imperials or whatever you're drinking at 8.5%? Could keep a similar volume, but have lower alcohol content. That may be a good place to start as well.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    4 packs of pints? That's only a bit less than a 6 pack of regular 12oz. It's a start, but overall the volume isn't much different.

What about moving away from those Imperials or whatever you're drinking at 8.5%? Could keep a similar volume, but have lower alcohol content. That may be a good place to start as well.
    Na 4pk 12oz. Yeah abv is an issue. For instance, so it's getting to be scotch ale, porter, and stout season. One of my favorites, Dark Horse Scotty Karate, is only $8/4pk. Problem is it's 9.75% and it goes down like water. I did try recently Oddside Ale's Imperial Mayan Mocha Stout. It's 10% but so heavy and spicy I don't think I could do more than 2.

I agree with lowering the abv. I really also just need to mentally toughen up about it and do what I know I need to. Then things can go back to a normal 'enjoy a beer or 3 every once in a while'.

On a different note, my brother in law has (to me) a strange drinking habit. Sunday through Thursday he does not drink. But Friday and Saturday he goes HARD. One night before we left their house he drank damn near a fifth of Captain Morgan. We get to the pub and he puts down something like, 8 rum and cokes (stiff) and six 32oz mugs of Miller Lite. My confusion is, how can you drink that much and it not spill over into other days? Does he have that much self control and discipline?

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

I fucking wish I had that much discipline. I've accepted the fact there's no such thing as one or two drinks for me for only one or two nights.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    I fucking wish I had that much discipline. I've accepted the fact there's no such thing as one or two drinks for me for only one or two nights.
    I'm literally terrified of going from my current intake to significantly less and DTs. I know I can have the discipline of only a few. From 30 to 34 I really didn't even drink that much. Weekend warrior type stuff or only occasions. I gotta get back to that.

BG Level

AA, Substance Abuse and all other related discussion

When I had to suddenly fly out to Saudi and a few other dry spots last month I was forced to stop cold turkey. The first week was one of the worst weeks of my life. I had the sweats, I was fainting on planes, I was constantly nauseous/light headed, and had really bad shakes/tremors. Every one of my coworkers noticed something was wrong with me, versus before where they were oblivious to me being a functioning alcoholic.

I told my doctor about it the other day and he looked at me in shock and horror. Essentially said I was lucky to walk away with minimal consequences.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Next step would likely be hallucinations and seizures. So yeah, pretty lucky.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Na 4pk 12oz. Yeah abv is an issue. For instance, so it's getting to be scotch ale, porter, and stout season. One of my favorites, Dark Horse Scotty Karate, is only $8/4pk. Problem is it's 9.75% and it goes down like water. I did try recently Oddside Ale's Imperial Mayan Mocha Stout. It's 10% but so heavy and spicy I don't think I could do more than 2.

I agree with lowering the abv. I really also just need to mentally toughen up about it and do what I know I need to. Then things can go back to a normal 'enjoy a beer or 3 every once in a while'.

On a different note, my brother in law has (to me) a strange drinking habit. Sunday through Thursday he does not drink. But Friday and Saturday he goes HARD. One night before we left their house he drank damn near a fifth of Captain Morgan. We get to the pub and he puts down something like, 8 rum and cokes (stiff) and six 32oz mugs of Miller Lite. My confusion is, how can you drink that much and it not spill over into other days? Does he have that much self control and discipline?
    I actually do this now as part of a process towards only drinking for special occasions. I went from drinking every night to 3 nights a week, now I usually only drink on Saturday. I figured for a while this was an excuse to get plastered on Saturdays but the hangovers are starting to make me want to just give it up entirely. They last entire days now. I want my 21 year old body back.

Your friend might be like me and drinks like that because his tolerance has gotten so insanely high that he can only get drunk that way. This is exactly why I don't hardly drink anymore. I drink specifically because I like getting buzzed and hanging out with people, but if it's going to cost me 30+ dollars and get me fat as shit I'm over it. Last Saturday I went to the bar and had 3 34oz Long Islands and barely got drunk. Like maybe a 3/10. Fucking ridiculous man.

Also, just for a reference point, all of the stuff you said your brother in law drank is about 15 beers and 24 shots of rum. That would kill most people, but just assuming it wouldn't, it would still be 3200 calories in liquor alone. Add in the cokes and you're looking around 4000cal. Not to mention the carbs. Holy shit man.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Maybe try splitting a six pack in two, and labeling it by the day?

Set a hard limit to not drink more than the designated day. Then in a month or two, split the six pack into three, limit yourself to two a day.

It's difficult but I'm sure you would be willing to try.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My body said fuck you Monday night and I earned the Achievement: Gout! Painful as all can be but I haven't drank in three days. And, haven't wanted to at all. Norco for pain but it only works for a few hours. CBD oil helps too though. Wife (CNA who has dealt with alcoholics and withdraws) said to have one glass of wine tonight to stave off any withdraw issues. It feels so much better to wake up and not feel I was in a fistfight the night before. My main problem is it's so hard to fall asleep. I don't even want the wine but I'd rather have that than a fucking seizure.

BG Level

AA, Substance Abuse and all other related discussion

Ouch. Sorry about the gout. At least it’s somewhat helping out with sobriety even if unintended lol.

Took me about 2 and a half weeks or so to be able get healthy sleep on my own without any sleep aids. Sober sleep is probably my biggest motivator against picking the bottle back up lol. I’m at 60 something days now since my last drunk and it’s just as you said; It’s amazing how much shit I can get done and how much clearer my head is in the morning without feeling half dead.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

good job guys.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Ouch. Sorry about the gout. At least it’s somewhat helping out with sobriety even if unintended lol.

Took me about 2 and a half weeks or so to be able get healthy sleep on my own without any sleep aids. Sober sleep is probably my biggest motivator against picking the bottle back up lol. I’m at 60 something days now since my last drunk and it’s just as you said; It’s amazing how much shit I can get done and how much clearer my head is in the morning without feeling half dead.
    I have forgotten the simple things in life like clear mornings or having true motivation to get simple things done in life. While I love that buzz/drunk and having fun, everything else in life has felt like such a chore. As crazy as it sounds, I'd rather not drink to enjoy playing a game like Dark Souls 3 than drink the night away.

I mentioned before about my brother in law. I really want to go that route, but in moderation. Work hard during the week since I'm a 9 to 5'er and then play on the weekend without overdoing it.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    good job guys.
    I appreciate the sentiment. Something you can relate to that I'd like to mention. Another motivator for me is bathroom time. Over the years craft beer has made taking a shit a painful experience. Can take anywhere from 5-30 minutes of excruciating pain the majority of the time. Today was the first time I've had a shit in three days and it was easy breezy.

Getting old (and being a retard by not taking care of myself) fucking sucks.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah, booze is pretty hard on the digestive system, though it's often overlooked as mere beer shits. kinda why i never really got into drinking; hard to start down that path when that's waiting for you right at the front gate.

good to hear your guts are stabilizing. they can be pretty sensitive though so i wouldnt be terribly surprised if you get a few bad ones again before things really settle down. just keep an eye on stool quality, etc.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Doctor appointment today went well. Prescribed Librium to handle withdraw symptoms and will do either Antibuse or that thing Xno does once I'm down to 0 drinks a day. Going to start keeping a log as for me that will help with control. I'm going to kick 2018's ass in every way possible with this being the #1 thing!

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Just getting rid of all my comments; not worth the hassle enjoy your thread

BG Level

I've relapsed pretty hard the last week or so. Don't know what triggered it, but my nightmares have come back tenfold to the point where I'm sleeping with a loaded gun on my night stand again. Been drinking myself to the point of blacking out to go to sleep. It's the worst possible feeling. I hate the job I'm in now because it's glorified babysitting, but I also asked for this to take a break from the constant investigations into dead bodies and sexually assaulted children.

I keep debating with myself to quit and take up a contract to go back to Afghanistan. I hate to be away from my 10 month old son, but he needs a father who'll provide for him sober. I hate the cliche label of soldiers and shit supposedly being more at home in a warzone, but I honestly feel more alive and more proud of my work when in that environment.

I don't know BG. I came home an hour ago and the first thing I did was open a bottle of jack.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Get back into boxing

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Is there someone you can talk to about the nightmares? Are the nightmares caused by the shit you've been through rather than the alcohol? If you're using alcohol to cope, and you'll return to it each time you get these nightmares, it seems like the best course of action is to see someone about the nightmares.

Will doing that effect your employment? Not sure how your job works with that kind of thing.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Going to a warzone isn't ideal. As you said, you want to provide for your son. Part of that is being present and not risking your death. While it's definitely true alcoholism can lead to death, it lead to my mom's, you can try to work through it with support. If you get killed in a warzone, you're dead.

I think knowing that you want to be there and support your son is something you can use, and speaking with someone about the nightmares and anything else that you may have on your mind will at least help put things into perspective a little more before you make any rash decisions.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I've relapsed pretty hard the last week or so. Don't know what triggered it, but my nightmares have come back tenfold to the point where I'm sleeping with a loaded gun on my night stand again. Been drinking myself to the point of blacking out to go to sleep. It's the worst possible feeling. I hate the job I'm in now because it's glorified babysitting, but I also asked for this to take a break from the constant investigations into dead bodies and sexually assaulted children.

I keep debating with myself to quit and take up a contract to go back to Afghanistan. I hate to be away from my 10 month old son, but he needs a father who'll provide for him sober. I hate the cliche label of soldiers and shit supposedly being more at home in a warzone, but I honestly feel more alive and more proud of my work when in that environment.

I don't know BG. I came home an hour ago and the first thing I did was open a bottle of jack.
    Studies are showing huge benefit to soldiers engaging in group therapy and taking medications.

Nightmares, well there is not so great evidence in favor of prazosin helping diminish the effect they have on your sleep.

Have you talked to anyone?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast