BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Alcohol has only interfered in my life where I missed work twice. Once when I got the DUI because they made me stay in jail a shade over 24 hours. Once I called off work (this was about 7 months ago) after I hadn't drank for four days and on the fifth day I was having hot/cold flashes, nauseous, and a headache that was worse than any caffeine withdraw headache I've ever had. This is exactly why I'm not going to do cold turkey, even though mentally I could. I'm not embarrassed to say I'm scared of what would happen if I did. So I'll do as my doctor said, cut back a little week by week.

I'm not going to AA because I don't feel it would do me any good. It's a personal opinion. However, I feel that this thread, and if anyone wants to PM myself or others here, can be in a sense AA. I'm always down to talk with people. I also keep a Google voice phone number if anyone wants to text. I would suggest having the Google voice in general for other things like craigslist so you don't have to use your personal.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Small win last night? I dunno. I told myself I was only going to have one drink, of course made a second, but half way through the second just asked myself why and poured the rest out and had a few glasses of water.
    That's a huge win and the fact you realized it yourself even halfway through shows a lot.
    You should be proud as said above small steps are important!

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Sorry to read about your mom. Sounds like a tough story. Only real thing I can offer to that is that while I may be underestimating the alcohol, others are underestimating my image issues. I had one point where I was considering offing myself and the only reason I ended up not doing it is because I didn't want to look like shit being dead at over 10% body fat @_@; told myself I'd consider it if I ended up feeling the same way after I lost 15 lbs.

On the other side of it, I don't have any dependents or anyone I'm particularly close with. If I had a wife (doubtful to ever happen, lulz) or kids (lol getting snipped next month, so yeah) or something, yeah, I can see that being a completely different deal.
    This resonates with me in some ways so wanted to touch on this part. As someone who struggled much of her life with body image issues with being overweight because she I abused/bullied over it and other things , I know how hard it is regardless of the "why".

Everyone tried to encourage and help me but when it came to my self worth it had to be worked on by me and even when I lost some weight I still felt horrible because I realized I was neglecting the years of internal torment that was festering.
    Facing that shit head on was hell and sometimes it comes up every now and again too but it's all connected. I'm not here to tell you how to overcome anything as the desire and action has to come from you but it could be something to think about.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

@CS

Definitely didn't know the extent of the body image issues. If you have those thoughts again you should talk to someone, even if it's just a post on this forum.

Just be careful. I know you aren't planning on having kids and are forever in the friend zone, as we joke, but I'm not the first person to comment on your drinking. Even if you don't think anyone is going to be effected by it if something happens to you, that's not really true.

It may not be my place to comment on other people, I'm just trying to be the person that gives the perspective of someone close to someone with a problem. I drink socially as well, sometimes I'll drink more than I care to admit, but the experiences with my mom are always in the back of my mind. I usually have a couple drinks then stop myself while the rest of my friends get passed out drunk. They refer to me as dad, but I'm.okay with it.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

@CS

Thanks for sharing your story. As Toki said please talk to someone if those thoughts come back. I'll give you my numbers if you want. You seem like a genuinely good dude and I remember when I used to lurk here and you posted in XI forums I always thought you'd be a blast to do stuff with in XI and be on Vent or w/e.

I also get it that at your age it's not effecting you physically. For two and a half years straight (21-24) I partied HARD five nights a week while working 63 hours a week. It didn't faze me in the slightest. And I never thought I had a problem back then. And truth be told, I didn't because when I started dating my girlfriend of 5 years the only time I drank was socially which was maybe once a month. My point is, if it does start to get out of control and you can handle copious amounts, that's where it gets hard to stop and physically it can be damaging. Just be careful. Don't do crashes and binges with alcohol. I get it that with some of your diet and workout stuff that's part of it. Alcohol is a mean monster just like any other addiction once the body demands it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Sorry to read about your mom. Sounds like a tough story. Only real thing I can offer to that is that while I may be underestimating the alcohol, others are underestimating my image issues. I had one point where I was considering offing myself and the only reason I ended up not doing it is because I didn't want to look like shit being dead at over 10% body fat @_@; told myself I'd consider it if I ended up feeling the same way after I lost 15 lbs.
    if it helps your body image issues any, i'd contemplate murder if i could have that low a body fat percentage for it. been stuck around 225 all my life, refuses to budge below that unless i don't eat anything for an entire week...then quickly balloons back to that point in a couple days.

at least you can see your abs.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

From the other thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I have. The problem with that is that at this point, willpower fades quickly after I start drinking.
    Poor mans solution, but have you tried not having as much alcohol in the house? You mentioned other limits you set for yourself, so if you set up for not drinking more than X amount at night, would it help? Of course, this is supposing you do your drinking at home, or that it would be too far away from a store/bar to get more when you run out.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My thing is if it's in the house I can probably drink all of it. So what my wife and I are doing is when she leaves for work (3rd shift) I give her the debit card so I can't buy more. When she's home I have zero issue. It's a self control thing for sure so anyone else with a similar issue should spend some time thinking of a way they can limit their intake.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    My thing is if it's in the mouse I can probably drink all of it. So what my wife and I are doing is when she leaves for work (3rd shift) I give her the debit card so I can't buy more. When she's home I have zero issue. It's a self control thing for sure so anyone else with a similar issue should spend some time thinking of a way they can limit their intake.
    I'm a food addict and understanding the relationship itself and why I felt that way was the first step in me getting better even before I could lose weight. I think it's a good first step about handing over the debit card but hopefully it's a step in the process not a solution.

You make a good point about trying to limit intake though and everything starts somewhere.

Here's my ways to help me control it.

I'm pretty pretentious when it comes to food and drink and in this situation it helps. I won't drink cheap stuff not really because I don't like it but because it helps me buy less overall because I can't afford it. On top of that I have a deal with my roommate that I make sometimes where if I have more than X she gets to pour out a bottle of my nice backstock. She is more than willing to comply with this. It actually works too.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Cost is a thing with me too. I'm not a 30pk of Haams person. Usually I can find my favorite Belgium tripel for $10/6pk out the door. If I do a build your own from the one shop in town it's around $15.75. Starting Monday I'm going to 4 a day and plan to do a certain IPA 4pk that's usually $8. It's lower %. Then the following week I'm going to 3 a day so that will be tricky.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Ugggh. Started only four beers on Monday. All was good. Yesterday around 3:30PM at work I started getting that headache....you know which one....had six after work. Guess I'm going to have to compromise and do five for a week. Physical withdraw sucks. Quitting smoking was a ton easier than this.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

AA, Substance Abuse and all other related discussion

Haven't been blacked out drunk since July 16th, and I'm very tempted to do so tonight. Just feels like one of those nights where I love to just chill, enjoy entertainment, and drink myself stupid. Really trying not to. Even after a month of successfully cutting back to just a beer or two every now then, my mind and body is still used to years of binge drinking ridiculous amounts.

BG Level

And i failed. Fuck everyone and everything. so much for being so fine for so long.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Just getting rid of all my comments; not worth the hassle enjoy your threadme

Yeah man. Being able to cut back to a beer or two every now and then is huge even with a slip.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Yeah Xno don't sweat it. Just keep pushing. Sounds silly but I really enjoy drinking while watching baseball, wrestling, and/or especially listening to music. I'm on the opposite spectrum where most nights I know I'm about to black so I take my ass upstairs and set the alarm. Rarely do I wake up with a hangover though.

I felt glad last night because I only had about 1/4 of a fifth of Canadian Club (leftovers from a friend) and one 9.5% beer. I started feeling the headache around 6PM. I didn't even want to drink the whiskey but around 8PM my head was pounding. I'm terrified of DT's so figured screw it. Had a bitch of a time going to sleep. Went to bed around 12:15AM. I don't think I fell asleep until around 1:30AM.

I watched part of a documentary on Netflix called The Truth About Alcohol. It's based out of the UK but what I watched was good. Something that most know, but they wanted to prove on this doc was the talk about red wine. I'm not a wine person but I figure if I'm going to drink I might as well do something better than a 12oz 325 calorie 40+ carb beer. Plus, my cholesterol is slightly high my doctor said.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Just getting rid of all my comments; not worth the hassle enjoy your thread

BG Level

I'm on day 34 now without a drink. Mind you 28 of those were spent in dry countries where I had little access but I'm still claiming this as a win nonetheless.

It's the longest stretch of sobriety I've had in 3 years.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

That's great. Keep it up! Even if it was a dry country, it still weighs on you mentally.