FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    tl;dw?
    He gave it a 9/10; major complaint is that the movie was a little rushed, especially love interest. Guy on it who read the book indicated a lot was changed from the book, and that took him out of it at first.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    He gave it a 9/10; major complaint is that the movie was a little rushed, especially love interest. Guy on it who read the book indicated a lot was changed from the book, and that took him out of it at first.
    I haven't read the book but from what I heard there was a lot of negative reaction partly due to the fact that

Spoiler: show

If I remember correctly, the main character Wade cyber stalked the female gamer Artemis to no end and kept saying that they were a couple and he was in love with her. She apparently is a strong female character but then gets reduced to a Trophy Girl; someone that needs to be saved/won because throughout the book she talks about how she can never be loved because of her insecurities, which makes it seem that she was physically unattractive. In the end, her un-attractiveness was simply a birthmark on her face and Wade steps in to "save her" of her insecurities by professing his love to her in real life after seeing her

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

so just as gay as the book.

welp.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

so just as gay as the book.

welp.
    The spoiler I posted was from the book. What remains to be seen is if that same plot thread is present in the film but I am hearing the "love story" has been changed.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Before the sxsw reviews came out, the film was projected to make $35m on it's opening weekend. Haven't seen any reworked numbers.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

New trailer, and the best one yet IMHO. Maybe I'm just a sucker for A-HA. Between this and the mostly positive (if not stellar) reviews, I'm beginning to think this will be a lot of fun, if not high art.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Can't wait to play the game of "how many references can you find!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Steven Spielberg says he worked his voodoo on Disney and got them to allow the use of Star Wars IP in this. So there's that.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    New trailer, and the best one yet IMHO. Maybe I'm just a sucker for A-HA. Between this and the mostly positive (if not stellar) reviews, I'm beginning to think this will be a lot of fun, if not high art.

"See this on the biggest screen possible."

I just might.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Saw the sneak tonight. If you can get over the first third of the movie being a little cheesy/cringeworthy it's worth seeing.

I hated the cameos in the trailers, thought it was going to be Meme: The movie. Turns out between a gang of Master Chiefs wrecking shit and Mecha Godzilla vs. Mobile Suit Gundam I kinda lost my shit. There are definitely some cringy moments but that doesn't take away from a rather fulfilling plot.

Love Interest Spoiler:

They met naturally at the beginning, developed through the first key and while working on the 2nd key Artemis blows a gasket after Will confesses his love. That quickly resolves itself after Will gets kidnapped a couple of minutes later. It was sorta rushed but there wasn't any sort of cyberstalking or anything like that in the movie. I haven't read the books so I can't really compare it.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Can't wait to play the game of "how many references can you find!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    What I spotted, in no particular order.

Tracer from Overwatch (like 3 times)
    Batman
    Marvin the Martian
    Minecraft (a whole goddamn world)
    Goro from Mortal Kombat
    Chestburster from Alien
    Chucky
    Battletoads
    Beetlejuice
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    A posse of Master Chiefs
    DaLorean
    Akira motorcycle
    Kong
    Montey Python's Holy Hand Grenade
    The 60s Batmobile
    Jason from Friday the 13th
    Spawn
    Harley Quinn
    Iron Giant
    Gundam
    Mecha Godzilla
    Street Fighter (Hadouken)

There were a ton of others that were mentioned or you caught posters/songs/memorable stances and such from that I couldn't begin to list. I'd say it was worth a re-watch to catch more, but a major issue is many of them get less than a couple of seconds of screen time. Oftentimes, it's literally a pan or mid-action shot where you catch a mess of characters. I'm sure there are other properties and characters represented that I missed. There were many characters that seemed to be important or relevant, but I just didn't know them at a glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Steven Spielberg says he worked his voodoo on Disney and got them to allow the use of Star Wars IP in this. So there's that.
    That'd make sense, but beyond IOI mentioning having access to the Millennium Falcon, I didn't see anything at all. Was kind of a bummer.

As someone who didn't read the book, I enjoyed it well enough. It was a fun movie with a lot of throwbacks and a decent enough story. I would have liked to see more inclusions, but in today's world, I'd imagine they'd quickly blow past any budget by including much else. There's one line that I laughed far more at than I should have.

The big evil is looking to take over Oasis in order to further monetize it. His goal is to cover 80% of player's UI with ads and banners. His researchers determined this was the maximum they could do without causing everyone to go into seizures. The screen example reminded me of some of the early (maybe even current?) mobile games with banners and ads everywhere.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Saw this last night. Enjoyed the hell out of it.

It certainly wasn't high art, and they took out a few things that I wish they hadn't, but added some things I'm glad they did. They did remove a little bit of the super-heroism that Wade had in the book which annoyed me, which was good.

If it looks like your kind of movie, and you think it's likely to be fun, it probably will be.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm genuinely surprised that this movie isn't shit.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Every review I've seen has said, "Book readers will fucking hate this".

The book wasn't very impressive but the trailer look like hot garbage compared to it.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Maybe because the book (as far as I've read) is more about the hunt while the movie seems to be more about jerking off to pop culture? I do like the treasure hunt aspect of the book, but I hardly saw any mention of it in the trailers, only as a loose premise and definitely not as the entire central point of the movie. Is it or is it not? (either way I will see this cause moviepass)

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Maybe because the book (as far as I've read) is more about the hunt while the movie seems to be more about jerking off to pop culture? I do like the treasure hunt aspect of the book, but I hardly saw any mention of it in the trailers, only as a loose premise and definitely not as the entire central point of the movie. Is it or is it not? (either way I will see this cause moviepass)
    The treasure hunt is in there but it's turned into a bunch of retarded shit with a car race somewhere for some reason and people running on the streets with haptic gear on because that's what it's used for...

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

The treasure hunt is in there but it's turned into a bunch of retarded shit with a car race somewhere for some reason and people running on the streets with haptic gear on because that's what it's used for...
    Oh boy.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio
    Every review I've seen has said, "Book readers will fucking hate this".
    I've read the book, and I think a better statement would be "Book readers who prefer movies to be as faithful as possible to the source material will fucking hate this." The movie still gets from the same Point A to Point Z that the book did. It hits a number of familiar points in between, but many things are substantially different. The overall feel is basically the same, though, even if the specifics aren't.

The first two gates are changed almost entirely from the book, although the third gate is very, very similar. I enjoyed what they did with the second gate, but the first gate was
    the aforementioned car race, which was a little disappointing, even if the car race itself was well done.
    I think they were trying to tailor the story to not be quite so '80s centric, and have a variety of more recent pop culture references. Which is disappointing a little bit, but not everyone is going to appreciate major plot points revolving around the Tomb of Horrors, War Games, Zork, and Joust the way I do.

Yeah, the people running around streets wearing VR gear was not the best choice, in my opinion. General ending spoilers:
    The ridiculously happy ending, particularly the final scene where everyone kind of erupts into one giant street party was about as '80s as you can get.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Saw it. It's worth seeing.

I'm not enthused about the changes from the book, but I understand. If you had started out with Ludus and the Tomb of Horrors, the pace of the film would have been criticized.
    I think, in a few decades, you could do a trilogy film or limited series that's closer to the book version.

Rylance fucking nailed his performance.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Watched it, loved it, never read the book.

Favorite part:
    The Shining, had me actually lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast