+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mulan (202X)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Sounds like they dont want the film to be banned from showing in China.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I mean the cartoon was released in China, why would a live action version with those elements not be ok?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    No one knows.

Also there is a contingent of LBGT Tumblr that is OUTRAGED about Shang being removed because they consider him to be first bisexual Disney character. The theory there being that he was already falling for Mulan when she was disguised as Ping but was repressing it and that the reveal of Mulan as a woman freed him to embrace his pre-existing feelings for her.
    I can't say I don't understand what they're going for there, but it's pretty clear he was falling for her because she was feminine as fuck and couldn't hide it completely.

But a movie without Shang... I dunno... he was a very big part of what made the movie great, simply replacing him is gonna be hard to sell to most audiences I think.

What the farquad disney. Why do you have to fuck all the things we love. Please unfuck them like you are going to have to with GOTG3.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    I mean the cartoon was released in China, why would a live action version with those elements not be ok?
    There will have been over 20 years time difference between the animated version and this. Maybe tolerance ideas have changed or something? Seems weird to me too but Disney wants that China $$$

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I vaguely recall China getting a "censored" version of Beauty and the Beast (along with Russia) over the implied homosexuality of LeFou so no surprise of changes. Supposedly this is going to follow the traditional fable of Mulan instead of the dinseyfied version, so I'll hold judgement until it's complete.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Isn't Fa Mulan stopping a Hun invasion what the actual Chinese legend is about?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Isn't Fa Mulan stopping a Hun invasion what the actual Chinese legend is about?
    Huns are never implied, goes more towards it being multiple invaders, so not just Genghis Khan and the Huns.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

her 'historical' surname is actually Hua and much like King Arthur the details of her legend change p dramatically depending on the author telling her tale, but in none of them are Huns named as the enemy. indeed in the original poem it is 'the Khan' calling for the draft and it is the Khan's army in which she serves as the setting is the Northern Wei state, which was a polity founded and governed by the nomadic proto-Mongol Xianbei, and decidedly not by any Han Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Huns are never implied, goes more towards it being multiple invaders, so not just Genghis Khan and the Huns.
    Genghis Khan was not a Hun.

BG Level

Ok I did a little bit of reading up on it and it turns out she commits suicide at the end rather than become a concubine for the local Khan. Seems like the kind of thing a magical dragon sidekick could help with.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

those are later additions by Chu Renhuo in his Sui Tang Romance, the original ballad has her return home safe and sound to a loving family. he also has her father die while Mulan is campaigning (which she only discovers when she returns home) and her fiance decide he'll plow her little sister instead following her suicide. Chu reverse-Disnyefied that ish.

BG Level

If death, betrayal, and dismemberment weren't featured in so many western myths I'd think eastern lore had a real problem with this kind of thing.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    her 'historical' surname is actually Hua and much like King Arthur the details of her legend change p dramatically depending on the author telling her tale, but in none of them are Huns named as the enemy. indeed in the original poem it is 'the Khan' calling for the draft as and it is the Khan's army in which she serves as the setting is the Northern Wei state, which was a polity founded and governed by the nomadic proto-Mongol Xianbei, and decidedly not by any Han Chinese.

Genghis Khan was not a Hun.
    I stand corrected. Dunno how I fubar'd that.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Jimmy Wong (Video Game High School) Cast as Ling and Doua Moua (Gran Torino) Cast as Po
    https://deadline.com/2018/08/disney-...ua-1202445269/

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

This doesn’t look too bad compared to little mermaid

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    This doesn’t look too bad compared to little mermaid
    Edit: Made a bad assumption. Assumptions are bad.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I dunno, I'm actually not too excited if they're taking the music out of it.

BG's most likeable Québécois

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    "I'm not racist," he says. "I don't have a problem with black people," he says. "I just don't like PK because he likes attention," he says.

You really are the fucking worst, Rata.
    ????

I have no problem with Ariel

My problem is with Ursula

Stop judging without thinking

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Yea wow that was way off base dude.