+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

BG Wiki Suggestions Thread

Drop your suggestions, ideas, recommendations, or questions here so that we may better the Wiki and user experience.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Can someone whip up a tutorial for creating/editing wiki pages and put a link on the front page for it? It's not really a simple task for someone not already familiar with the coding and might get some missing pages filled in if there's a easily accessible reference page.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Can someone whip up a tutorial for creating/editing wiki pages and put a link on the front page for it? It's not really a simple task for someone not already familiar with the coding and might get some missing pages filled in if there's a easily accessible reference page.
    How different is that from this Getting started page?

Honestly think that covers it. I started with that myself when I was a lost new editor, and we have built it out since then to help people.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    How different is that from this Getting started page?

Honestly think that covers it. I started with that myself when I was a lost new editor, and we have built it out since then to help people.
    Actually looks like exactly what I was suggesting. ^^ The only issue I see is that there's no obvious link on the frontpage to call attention to it. I see one at the bottom of the page, but maybe one in the sidebar would be a good idea too?

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Actually looks like exactly what I was suggesting. ^^ The only issue I see is that there's no obvious link on the frontpage to call attention to it. I see one at the bottom of the page, but maybe one in the sidebar would be a good idea too?
    It sort of was in the guide section of the sidebar, but sorta wasn't. Anyway I will look at sticking it in the sidebar, probably right under the discord link, and update the links in the guides section of the side, as well as move it up higher sometime later today.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The Sidebar has been updated.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    The Sidebar has been updated.
    I see that, thank you. XD I'm hoping it makes it easier for more people to add stuff that's missing.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I see that, thank you. XD I'm hoping it makes it easier for more people to add stuff that's missing.
    It should, hopefully.

I'd be happy just to have someone helping out with the BLU spells. Somewhere around up to Jettatura has been done with the new fancy acquisition template.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

So I have been doing some edits on the Fantastic EXP guide and I noticed that it's actually not easy to find. Is there a way to get it added to the sidebar under "Guides"?

I also have another idea that I wanna pass around for the Fantastic EXP guide. I wanna format it like the Trusts with tables for level ranges. I'll need help with that, but for now I'll leave it on the back burner. I think it would be easier to have all of the level ranges hidden until you click either "Show All" or "Show 1-10" or something like that.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Can someone who knows how fix up the furnishings template?

* Remove the "Stack Size" field since it is always "1".
    * Possibly remove the "Auction House Category" field, since it's again, always "Furnishings". Less needed change than the above. Could be kept based on uniformity I guess. :/
    * Add a field for aura strength. < The big one. This needs to happen.

Also always wondered, how does the data work w/ furnishings? Are they not tagged w/ Moghancement/strength so that info always needs to be added manually after player testing?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

* Add a field for aura strength. < The big one. This needs to happen.
    Already exists. Though data seems missing on some older/less common items most of which are also missing moghancement data too. And some is weirdly incomplete like some signboards have full and the rest have basically none of that info lol

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Already exists. Though data seems missing on some older/less common items most of which are also missing moghancement data too. And some is weirdly incomplete like some signboards have full and the rest have basically none of that info lol
    Is it it's own defined field? Is it just tacked on to something else? Do you have any examples? XD I have no clue what the syntax should be like..

Or.. I can just find something that has it in the page data.. Ok. So, I found the "|Aura=#" field, but it doesn't get displayed anywhere on the item page itself? How do we change that?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I have currently been working on Furnishings (even as you all were typing these ) for the last month.

Refer to this category page: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Furnishing for a list of COMPLETED pages. The huge list of furniture has dimensions/aura/mog if it is done. I have been filling out this category page at the same time I do the actual item page. That is why some signboards have all info and some do not. By the time I am done with the rest of these, all furnishings should be completely filled out with dimensions, aura and moghancement. You can sort this page by dimensions/aura/moghancement btw.

Some furnishing pages were not filled out with an aura/dimensions due to our tools skipping that field unintentionally. All three are now generated with {{Information Needed}} in each field because that data is not in the .DAT files.

Stack Size 1 is on EVERY item page, even https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Adaman_Hauberk . It theoretically could be removed, but because it is everywhere, it would have to be removed from every item that isnt stackable. We will probably just keep it.

Sure the Auction House category could be removed, but it would be more work to remove it at this point since we mass added all items ever listed on Asura's AH to all non EX pages awhile back. This was done at the same time, and we elected to keep Armor/Weapon pages off this list. I guess we kind of forgot about furnishings, but i think its nice to have it anyway.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Funkworkz View Post
    I have currently been working on Furnishings (even as you all were typing these ) for the last month.

Refer to this category page: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Furnishing for a list of COMPLETED pages. The huge list of furniture has dimensions/aura/mog if it is done. I have been filling out this category page at the same time I do the actual item page. That is why some signboards have all info and some do not. By the time I am done with the rest of these, all furnishings should be completely filled out with dimensions, aura and moghancement. You can sort this page by dimensions/aura/moghancement btw.

Some furnishing pages were not filled out with an aura/dimensions due to our tools skipping that field unintentionally. All three are now generated with {{Information Needed}} in each field because that data is not in the .DAT files.

Stack Size 1 is on EVERY item page, even https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Adaman_Hauberk . It theoretically could be removed, but because it is everywhere, it would have to be removed from every item that isnt stackable. We will probably just keep it.

Sure the Auction House category could be removed, but it would be more work to remove it at this point since we mass added all items ever listed on Asura's AH to all non EX pages awhile back. This was done at the same time, and we elected to keep Armor/Weapon pages off this list. I guess we kind of forgot about furnishings, but i think its nice to have it anyway.
    Very cool. :3 No worries about removing fields if it would be silly amounts of work. Just thought it would look nicer if the pages were cleaned up.

Any idea why the items on that page display aura strength (ex: BG Wiki - Jeweled Egg) while other item pages that have all the same data fields do not? (ex: BG Wiki - Thurible) Is there a simple manual way to change these over as I run across them or does it need to be done by staff?

EDIT: Did a code comparison and saw that there was an extra line on the Thurible page, which when deleted, allowed the aura strength to show up and properly link/display the moghancement... Is this the right thing to do? If that's all it is, I can do that much while mentally AFK and can try my hand at helping out. ^^

Also, how do we feel about stealing the data for missing stuff from 'clopedia? They have a lot of the info for the rarer furnishings that look like they are going to be supreme PITA to test.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Not sure what you mean by the code comparison/extra line. You didnt edit these only I did, so maybe you looked before I saved changes? I only edited today so that might be the case. Do all three pages look correct now?

I say no to copying from cyclopedia. i have found that many over there have been wrong. We really do need help with appearance images. I have been tagging this category: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:...pearance_Image with furnishings that need images.

I am hoping to get all of this done before the December mog house decorating contest.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I clicked the Edit link on each in two different tabs and compared the text between the two pages. There was only one notable difference between the two. On Thurible, when I deleted the line:

|ah listing=Furnishings

The aura strength field magically appeared, and the moghancement changed from a text-only "Desynthesis" to a link to the proper moghancement. I didn't save the change since I was waiting for your answer. :3 I don't know if you were editing Thurible while I was checking, but reloading the page was not doing this at the time.

I'd offer to help w/ the appearance images, but I don't have a very large selection of furnishings.. I've always focused on function, so only have tons of certain ones like bookshelves.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So that was a cache issue is all. We should be good from now on!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Now for another dumb question... how do I upload images for this? ._.;;

I actually do have a few of the furnishings that are missing images, but don't know how to add them. orz

EDIT: And go learning ftw! Just successfully updated BG Wiki - Hide Stretcher. :D I'll work on the ones that I have, should be able to knock a few off that list.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Looks good. For large ones like the Workbench, add |300px in the brackets like [[Image:Workbench Appearance.jpg|300px]] to limit how wide it is

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Funkworkz View Post
    Looks good. For large ones like the Workbench, add |300px in the brackets like [[Image:Workbench Appearance.jpg|300px]] to limit how wide it is
    Done. ^^ That's one mule down, and 8x items off of that list. I forgot to add "appearance" to a couple of the file names though.. Is that a problem?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast