Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Yeah this was decent. The reviewers were forced by netflix to see this in a theater instead of the usual screener copy, which is probably less enjoyable in theater.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    They confirmed a sequel a few days ago.
    Thanks, I didn't know that, makes a bit more sense now.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I did not go into this thinking it was going to be the next Matrix or Mr. Robot. After seeing some of the reviews I kind of figured that this wasn't going to be something for the general audience. If you love Shadowrun and can deal with the occasional cringy or cheesy line you'll like this.

I watched it last night and honestly felt kinda blown away. It's scratching an itch for me that I didn't know I had, I really like the Shadowrun-like universe and i'm definitely going to watch it a second time. If you like it make sure to Thumbs Up it in the Netflix app or suggest it through their website: https://help.netflix.com/en/titlereq...ick&q=feedback

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I'm glad it's getting a sequel, and I hope like Alien Nation, it spins off a series.
    One that FOX can't cancel this time.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

yeah it wasn't any groundbreaking piece of film making, but it was a lot better than i thought it was going to be. will def. catch the sequel.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Happy to hear from you all that it was better than anticipated. I’m not expecting ground breaking TV but I decided to dismiss this when I saw reviews and I was somewhat looking forward to it as a popcorn flick

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I think the thing that bugged me the most about this was
    Spoiler: show
    The tape recorder. Maybe I missed it being taken away at some point but wasn't Will Smith wired THE ENTIRE TIME including when the other cops were telling him to kill his partner? Why is he so concerned with getting his story straight for the feds?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I remembered that when he and the cops were plotting then promptly forgot about it lol

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    Why is he so concerned with getting his story straight for the feds?
    Because magic wands are considered fairy tales or myth in the world it seems. It's kinda goofy since people seem to know about them and Brights, but it's the kinda thing that not many have ever seen, so people'd go nuts if they knew they existed, like the cops, orcs, and gang did once they knew what they had. Getting their story straight was more making sure they were on board with keeping the wand under wraps, rather than blabbing to the world about it, hence no mention about it, just two brave officers holding the line against an encroaching gang.

Really enjoyed it overall. I liked the take on social standing with the orcs and showing the hardships of Nick, even though he was as nice and caring as he was. I liked that towards the end he toughened up and got a bit more on board with the buddy-cop schitck. Not Smith's fault, but I generally disliked his character early on. He was setup to be a complete dick for awhile. The whole human-face scene in the cop car was pretty good, then Smith just shuts it down with the "show me the shut-the-fuck-up Orc face" bit. That's not a slight against the movie or Smith, he was setup to be disliked in that sense, so you can see him grow more trusting and attached as the movie progressed, until you reach multiple points where he straight sticks up for Nick rather than take the easy way out.

My only complaint was the lack of world building. So much was teased or shown that wasn't built on at all. Nine races in the world, but only humans, elves, orcs, and a single centaur shown. Dwarves were mentioned. Are fairies a race? How about dragons, like the one you see in the night sky casually flying over LA? Even if all of those are one of the nine races, how about the other two?

I'm down for a sequel, like someone else said, the movie scratched an itch I didn't know I had.

We built this city

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Because magic wands are considered fairy tales or myth in the world it seems. It's kinda goofy since people seem to know about them and Brights, but it's the kinda thing that not many have ever seen, so people'd go nuts if they knew they existed, like the cops, orcs, and gang did once they knew what they had. Getting their story straight was more making sure they were on board with keeping the wand under wraps, rather than blabbing to the world about it, hence no mention about it, just two brave officers holding the line against an encroaching gang.
    I'm not sure where you're getting that sense. Literally everyone seemed to know exactly what a wand was and what it could do. If anything, they thought it was more powerful than it actually was.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

They dropped like 5 f-bombs in the first five minutes and I had to turn it off. Disappointing.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    I'm not sure where you're getting that sense. Literally everyone seemed to know exactly what a wand was and what it could do. If anything, they thought it was more powerful than it actually was.
    That's it exactly. I got it from Ward talking about it being a fairy tale early on, until they came across it. No one knows how to use it or what it really does, just that they think it can do anything they want, and maybe it can. It's so rare and powerful though that people lose their minds trying to get it. Would the government want it acknowledged that such a thing existed and they had it, or to hide it under the rug and squash any rumors of it?

I mean, the ending pretty much spells it out. Nick goes on his excited rant about everything that happened, then Ward gets it and spits out the story the agent wants to hear, and he confirms it by agreeing no wand was in play, even though we clearly saw them get the wand. They all know a wand was there, but things are better off if people don't know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    They dropped like 5 f-bombs in the first five minutes and I had to turn it off. Disappointing.
    It lightens up after that if you're unable to have something playing with fuck strewn about. There's plenty of scenes where it comes back though, but not as largely as the opening.

We built this city

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    That's it exactly. I got it from Ward talking about it being a fairy tale early on, until they came across it. No one knows how to use it or what it really does, just that they think it can do anything they want, and maybe it can. It's so rare and powerful though that people lose their minds trying to get it. Would the government want it acknowledged that such a thing existed and they had it, or to hide it under the rug and squash any rumors of it?

I mean, the ending pretty much spells it out. Nick goes on his excited rant about everything that happened, then Ward gets it and spits out the story the agent wants to hear, and he confirms it by agreeing no wand was in play, even though we clearly saw them get the wand. They all know a wand was there, but things are better off if people don't know about it.

It lightens up after that if you're unable to have something playing with fuck strewn about. There's plenty of scenes where it comes back though, but not as largely as the opening.
    I just never got any sense that the general public didn't believe wands existed.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Watched this last night, I thought it was an incredible film.

I don't know much about the fantasy/elements, only the basics, i.e. from what I learnt off Lord of the Rings/WoW, but I loved the racial stereotypical portrayal of everything.

I wished they explored other races though. Anyone spied the Centuar police near the beginning? It was a quick glimpse. Obviously there's probably much other races that can be shown.

I'm glad Netflix ordered a sequel, so I hope the next one will explore other things (more Tikka!!!!). I loved the world they built there.

There was a discrepancy in power though. Them 3 elves were rather powerful in general, yet Ward and Jakoby held their own for a bit. I suppose rule of drama and all that, but I thought it was a definite power mismatch. I assumed the film will show them be on the run from the 3, like in Terminator films. Then, come near the end, the FBI elf and team will square off with them.

Shame we never witnessed what the FBI forces were capable of.

If/when they continue, I presume they'll probably wind up showing the Dark Lord. I would look forward to seeing a continuation of the story along with expanding on the world shown.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Just watched this. I liked it. If nothing else it's a super cool world they built that I'd love to see more of in a sequel.

The acting was pretty piss poor though. The discrepancy between Smith and the others was pretty jarring, even then it felt like he phoned it in the entire time.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Watch the dark lord is that FBI elf except his evil side was sealed away hence why he knows so much and wants to stop them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

I'm really digging the way that critics and audience have not been matching up on much at all lately.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Which theory of yours was debunked you butthurt diehard fan?