+ Reply to Thread

Windows 10 Laptop can't find network

I have a windows 10 Laptop that suddenly can't see my wireless connection. It can see a bunch of other fucking random connections but not the one I need. I've tried a bunch of stuff including disabling the network adapter, resetting it, some random console command shit and trying to manually add the network.

Nothing seems to work and it constantly says there is no connection and the wireless stuff is just shown as disabled with no option to turn it back on. Before I do something drastic like reformat I'd like to know if there are any possible solutions or just things I should try in general.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Assuming the wireless adapter can be accessed easily, have you tried reseating it and its cables? Maybe something got knocked loose. You may also have a spare to try from a motherboard if you recently put together a pc that may also fit/work, though some laptop manufacturers are dicks about whitelisting parts. This assumes it's mini-pci and laptop has/uses such a slot.

If nothing else you might need to get a cheap little usb wifi dongle as an interim solution. Could also try some flavor of linux boot cd, like ubuntu or mint, and see if it can get normal wifi access (most modern linux boot discs have generic drivers that work with nearly all wifi adapters).

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Have you made sure there's no physical switch on the laptop that might have been triggered?
    Have you checked that nothing in the BIOS has been turned off?
    It can see no wifi networks at all, or just missing your specifically?
    did you try the stuff that shouldn't matter but might (netsh winsock reset)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Have you made sure there's no physical switch on the laptop that might have been triggered?
    Yeah there's nothing like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Have you checked that nothing in the BIOS has been turned off?
    It can see no wifi networks at all, or just missing your specifically?
    did you try the stuff that shouldn't matter but might (netsh winsock reset)
    Not sure about the BIOS but I'll check that when I get home.
    It can see other wifi networks and is missing mine specifically
    I haven't tried that one perse but I've tried a couple, is there a list I should cross check?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury
    Yeah there's nothing like that.
    Check for a FN key combo that enables/disables the wifi as well.

Edit: Just read that it is detecting other networks. Means that the adapter and drivers are working. Disregard my comment.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

if you didn't, could you go into saved wifi networks and delete it, also if you don't have a tonne of stuff on it, try to change the SSID (or if your router supports multiple networks, try making another and see if it connects?)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Oh lol, I completely glossed over that it actually does pick up some networks but not yours.

Do other devices (smartphones) connect to the network normally? Could try restarting the router if it's not been rebooted in a while anyway.

Is your network a 'hidden' broadcast (ie. you have to enter the name and password)? Like the others said, if hidden then see if you can delete the current profile on your pc and make it again, if not then change its name temporarily in the router and see if it'll pop up. This is assuming you can access the router via lan cable somehow, or otherwise log into it from another device.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them when I get back and see how it goes. Other devices can see the router just not this laptop.

I don't think it's hidden but I also couldn't find the network on my PSVita so maybe there's something with that.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

There are chipsets that don't just like each others, but not supercommon and since it worked before, probably not it here.
    Did you manage to actually connect the laptop to any other networks? Did you try to connect any other apparatus to the wifi network since the problems started? (old or new, or have they already been connected the entire time)

So after trying a bunch of stuff I can see the network again. Can't tell what specifically did it since I tried everything in the thread but thanks so much for the help. A further question is if there is a way to prevent this or make sure the laptop doesn't lose connection again? And the laptop could connect to the internet if I used my phone as a hotspot but it didn't seem to work very well.

But again, thanks for all the responses and answers.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Only way to prevent it from happening again is to never use the laptop again. I've seen too many windows machines lose network connectivity after updates or just out of the blue to think that there is a way to prevent it from happening.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Bardicrune View Post
    Only way to prevent it from happening again is to never use the laptop again. I've seen too many windows machines lose network connectivity after updates or just out of the blue to think that there is a way to prevent it from happening.
    This is most definitively the only accurate answer to that question ; ; xD

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

It happened to me once after a windows 10 update, i solved it installing older wireless card driver from manufacturer.