+ Reply to Thread
    Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Damage caused by neighbor's contractor...

HALP ME BG! I'm trying to figure out some options for my situation.

I rent a 3rd floor condo and my neighbor had water damage caused by a shitty contractor. Said contractor was fixing the unit's AC and somehow caused the sprinklers to go off in my neighbors unit. That's not terrible (for me), but it went on for so long that it soaked the walls and started leaking into my unit. They were able to stop it, but not before the party wall and the floor extending from it became damaged; the walls seem to be fine but the floor was soaked maybe 10ft out from the wall. We had a company come out to dry the kitchen floor/living room carpet, but now the landlord says they want to break the lease and do repairs to the unit because they're gonna have to rip up the entire unit's carpet for replacement as well as the kitchen cabinets and floor.

My question is, what the fuck is my recourse here? I'm aware my landlord only wants me out because if they replace all the carpets and cabinets just for me to move back in with my current rent, it's not really worth it for them; especially if I move out in 8 months when the lease is up and they just have to replace the carpet all over again. I don't mind moving, but am I entitled to any assistance from the contractor? I really don't have the funds to move short notice like this.

If the landlord breaks the lease, am I entitled to any fees or assistance moving/storing my possessions? Should I even let them break the lease? The damage isn't so catastrophic that I can't live in the unit, but I definitely can't host any parties with my kitchen and carpet looking like shit. Can I go after the contractors insurance for assistance in these things?

I'm an idiot and don't have renters insurance...and I won't be making that mistake again. BG, help me adult this situation

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

The owner of the condo should have insurance coverage for such things. That is on them, not the tenant (you). Yes, anyone renting should have renters insurance because it's cheap as fuck and you should cover your shit. But in your case, condo insurance is to cover from the walls in. That's the responsibility of the owner. Check them on that.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Just for insurance check with a local insurance agent regarding your situation. My statement above is regarding Michigan.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Oh they're paying for repairs, but they're wanting to kick me out to do it. I'm just looking for recourse on what is going to be thousands in moving costs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If the landlord breaks the lease I would get legal representation.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

And that's a whole other nightmare costing more $

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do with the contractor since it's the landlord's property. I thought insurance covers temporary displacement due to repairs (like having to stay at an extended hotel). But I believe that's home owners insurance and not renters.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

What state do you live in? Some are better than others about protecting renters.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Florida

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    What state do you live in? Some are better than others about protecting renters.
    Yeah, it's hard to say without knowing what state you're in. For starters though, check your lease for any statements about either side breaking the lease early. At a minimum, your lease is a contract and if the other party wants to change the terms of the contract, you should be able to negotiate for some recompense.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Florida

RIP

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm fairly sure if he actually breaks your lease you can sue the fuck out of him.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Maybe not in Florida though.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Florida

Here's a place to start, good luck:
    http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...hold-rent.html

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So they don't want to break the lease without my permission, but I'm also not sure what my rights are if I have to be moved out of the unit while repairs are being done. It's gonna take about 3-4 weeks to do repairs, and in that time the entire units floor is coming up. There's no way we can live in the unit while it's being done, not that I want to, but seeing as this isn't my fault is there nothing I can do?

If the contractor isn't just some random Joe, but instead some kind of company, perhaps try to get in contact with them to see if they'll put you up in a hotel as compensation, as I imagine they have insurances related to their work, too. As is, since your landlord isn't breaking lease, but repairs still need to happen, I'm not seeing too many more options. If you were planning on moving out in those 8 months anyway, may as well move up the time table.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Try reddits /r/legaladvice

So they don't want to break the lease without my permission, but I'm also not sure what my rights are if I have to be moved out of the unit while repairs are being done. It's gonna take about 3-4 weeks to do repairs, and in that time the entire units floor is coming up. There's no way we can live in the unit while it's being done, not that I want to, but seeing as this isn't my fault is there nothing I can do?

Does your lease have a clause about something like this? Mine states if they need to have us vacate for a bit for repairs they pay for a hotel for the entire time + no rent is due for any days you're out. It still sucks hard but I think this is at least semi-common.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Good call, gonna check my lease. Also I'm gonna throw this up on reddit.

I woke up stressed out my mind over this even though I know I'll be ok in the long run. Thanks for the help and suggestions thus far.