FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Drones

There a thread for this?

Anyway, buddy who died left me his Phantom 3 drone. it's in pretty good condition except for the camera gimbal and ribbon wire, which broke. Anyone have any suggestions for replacement parts?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

actually, i found some on amazon for not too much. prolly do that for now, but anyway, new to the hobby, anyone else do drones?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I have a beginner $140 dollar one from Amazon that I've been practicing on. My suggestion is to take the camera off if you can and just get used to flying the thing and controlling it relative to the drone and not yourself...you're gonna do a lot of crashing at first lol. Once you get used to flying then use your gps and stuff to help take over and plan/plot the cool fly bys and shit that you're gonna upload to your youtube account lol.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Got a mavic pro on the way, will report back.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Omg I want one so badddd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ohh a thread. I have a question I can't seem to find an answer to.

How do they work? Specifically, on youtube, etc, I see cool shots of cities in the sky taken by a drone.

While I understand how it can fly and record etc, I don't understand how it's controlled by the owner. If it's anything like a radio control toy, the range is only so limited, but it feels like the people who made the videos were able to do it from far far away and see what they're going. How is contact/control/footage still working despite the distance?

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Ohh a thread. I have a question I can't seem to find an answer to.

How do they work? Specifically, on youtube, etc, I see cool shots of cities in the sky taken by a drone.

While I understand how it can fly and record etc, I don't understand how it's controlled by the owner. If it's anything like a radio control toy, the range is only so limited, but it feels like the people who made the videos were able to do it from far far away and see what they're going. How is contact/control/footage still working despite the distance?
    The RC on modern drones is up to 7km, and see a first person video of the drone camera from similar distance. You can also set them on pre-planned flight paths via GPS.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Fuck 7km!? Times has changed/improved!

Now that got me interested; final question then, how is video feed maintained? 4G? I assume.

I would naturally want to use it to explore surroundings within reason/law etc

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Some short to medium range ones use wifi, the longer ones use some other type of long range frequency. Then it goes into gps coordination.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

im still waiting on parts, plus been busy so havent had a chance to try it out yet, but from what ive seen looking at it, it is controlled by both the controller and a phone. not sure what my range is.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I've been wanting to get a drone forever before it was hipster and everyone did it and have wanted to drop good money but never pulled the trigger finding exactly what I wanted.

I want one of two things.

Either something with a very long flight time, because fuck those two hour charges for 15 min flight bullshits.

Or, something that's fast as fuck for racing or stunts.

Halp me bg. I was thinking anything $80-300 or even more.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The little known secret of drones is the shitty battery life. Even the machines you spend $1500 on barely have longer than a 20-30min run time per battery; it's not uncommon for people to bring 2+ batteries with them when they go flying so that they don't take a trip or make the effort for what amounts to barely 20min of fun. For example, I have 4 batteries for my $140 drone. Not that I use them all every time I fly the drone, but there are times were I want to fly, then a friend wants to try, then I want to fly some more, and before I know it I've changed the battery 3 times in less than 45min.

You're gonna have a hard time racing or doing stunts in that price range for most applications. At that price range the best you can get is a drone with Wifi to connect a smart phone to to view out of the drones camera. The problem is, that mode is very laggy with the video to the point that it's useless for flight, doubly so at high speeds. Racing/stunt drones are usually smaller than your normal drone but have a really good camera on it that can use like a 5ghz frequency to connect to FPV googles. You don't want to get that for your first drone lol.

I recommend you just go on Amazon and find a drone that is around $50 under the budget you wanted to spend, then spend that $50 on extra batteries and maybe a charger that can charge more than one battery at a time since the second secret to drones is that the batteries charge extremely slowly. My batteries that last at most 15-20min also take 2hours to charge...so I bought a 3 way charge to expedite that shit lol.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Repair complete! Powered it up, did some initial setup. Seems to work just fine. I'll be looking into FAA regulations and shit over the next few days but hoping to do a test flight on Monday or Wednesday.