+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level

4K External Monitor - Need advice

Hi guys,

Quick background, this set up is not for gaming, it is for design. It is for a home set up. Day to day at work i use a 27inch iMac Retina 2015.

I recently purchased a LG 27UD68P 27" 4K UHD IPS Monitor to use as an external monitor for my MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2015.

http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27UD68P

I am connecting the two by the Display Port of the Mac into the HDMI port of the monitor.

Yet the “best for display” is set to 1920 x 1080.

Is that right? It seems dated to be using a 1920 display. I was hoping to be able to use it at 2560 x 1440, the same as a iMac Retina display.

I have put it to 2560 x 1440 and it seems to run ok. The mouse seems slightly laggy though?

Will refresh rate make a huge difference?

Finally, could the connecting cable need updating? The monitor is said to be able to go to 60hz refresh rate but i don't have the option to set the refresh rate through display preferences?

Any advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Any more questions let me know.

Thanks in advance

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Why not just use a displayport cable?

HDMI requires a 2.0 compliant input, output and cable to get 4k60 - the monitor is def hdmi 2.0, no idea if your output and cable are though.

The mouse feels laggy because 30hz sucks a dick.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Try holding Alt/Option when picking Scaled, which should show all resolutions.

Though, yeah, if the interface can't do high enough bandwidth, you'll be stuck at 30hz, which sucks. I would second trying with a displayport cable (Thunderbolt is pin compatible with mini-displayport, so you can just use that), since that can often be higher spec than HDMI on a given device.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply.

Switching to a mini display port to display port has fixed the issue. It is now running it at 60hz. However, i am unable to change the refresh rate, it is just automatically selected. Still, at least its defaulting to 60hz so can't complain!

Thanks again