Closed Thread
Page 5 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

a foot in the door might be alright if we're really going to walk through at a later date

edit: I sound overly pessimistic, sorry. If we want gun control, (which we don't yet, not even close) it will have to be radical and more immediate. The NRA is just getting its name out there in a gun-restrictive light when it's convenient.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I agree that 'bump stocks' is a silly thing to worry about, but it goes a long way in curbing gun violence compared to doing absolutely nothing and it gives the GOP a victory while satisfying Dems.

Most people don't know what the hell bump stocks are (I had to look it up), but given their function making it easier to deal with recoil it's a LOT better than nothing at all (which is what we'd normally get).

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If even the NRA wants to ban something, you might want to reconsider your position and perhaps consider instead that you might just be a fucking idiot.

FWIW though: You can bump fire a gun without a bump stock. It's just kind of difficult, takes a lot of skill, and (just like a bump stock will actually) destroy the gun after a couple mags.

Most likely the guy had all of those firearms because he knew he would be destroying each one as he unloaded them.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'd also argue that trying to make an argument that ____ would have reduced ____ in Vegas might not be the right hill to die on. It's looking more and more like this guy was part of something pretty sinister, with resources beyond what we can understand at the moment. Entirely possible that this incident might have been something unstoppable even if there was an actual firearms ban in place.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the conversation needs to happen and is very important, I just think correlating it directly to Vegas might end up backfiring as we learn more about Paddock.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

tbh I've gotten used to our congress to doing nothing about this so an increase on restrictions of bump stocks would be fucking nice but to be honest it doesn't matter. Its only solving an issue which can increase the severity not dealing with the root cause.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm just wondering whether the guy's MO was just to be as fucking confusing as possible with no clear leads in order to have us focus on the weapons.

He booked multiple hotels in different cities for different events, left a cryptic suicide note, and now we just found out that he had the scratch to send his GF out of country with something like $100,000 before pulling this off.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    tbh I've gotten used to our congress to doing nothing about this so an increase on restrictions of bump stocks would be fucking nice but to be honest it doesn't matter. Its only solving an issue which can increase the severity not dealing with the root cause.
    Root causes are hard and complicated. And something by and large people don't like talking about... well at least in meaningful ways. So the vast vast majority of proposals are going to be an issue here or there with the chief difference being how many ancillary issues it might also cover and/or how close it gets to the root causes

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    I agree that 'bump stocks' is a silly thing to worry about, but it goes a long way in curbing gun violence compared to doing absolutely nothing and it gives the GOP a victory while satisfying Dems.
    what is this a long way? it sounds like a superficial examination of recent events, whipped up with some feigned bipartisanship and political victories. i think a bump stock ban goes farther than nothing by only barely

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    If even the NRA wants to ban something, you might want to reconsider your position and perhaps consider instead that you might just be a fucking idiot.
    I'm not sure to whom this is directed. I don't think anyone here is clinging to his bump stocks, though they have sold nicely. I'd posit that if even the NRA says something can go, that something is not going to affect their interests.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Root causes are hard and complicated. And something by and large people don't like talking about... well at least in meaningful ways. So the vast vast majority of proposals are going to be an issue here or there with the chief difference being how many ancillary issues it might also cover and/or how close it gets to the root causes
    Honestly a good root cause would be the availability and ease at which one can attain a weapon. The problem is a good number of americans make gun rights a priority issue which means nothing gets passed on the federal level. Every mass murder that's hit the national press has been with a civ spec weapon that's been bought legally. So the shooter in question wasn't a criminal until they started their killing spree.

In all honesty limits on how much ammo you purchase, or a soft cap wherein you trigger a more in depth investigation on what the fuck you're doing with that ammo. (And the same to guns) would be a step. The problem is a number of you already went 'Fuck that' to that sentence thus it won't happen because any republican (And certain conservative democrats) who supports that will get primaried the next chance they can.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    Honestly a good root cause would be the availability and ease at which one can attain a weapon. The problem is a good number of americans make gun rights a priority issue which means nothing gets passed on the federal level. Every mass murder that's hit the national press has been with a civ spec weapon that's been bought legally. So the shooter in question wasn't a criminal until they started their killing spree.

In all honesty limits on how much ammo you purchase, or a soft cap wherein you trigger a more in depth investigation on what the fuck you're doing with that ammo. (And the same to guns) would be a step. The problem is a number of you already went 'Fuck that' to that sentence thus it won't happen because any republican (And certain conservative democrats) who supports that will get primaried the next chance they can.
    Is it really though? Aren't we still just talking about ease and efficiency just to a different degree?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The NRA hasn't even been this strong on them. They're willing to "consider regulating bump stocks", which isn't saying they're willing to ban them. Who knows what they'll be ok with in the end. Maybe a bump stock registry? Which will do all of nothing.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

FWIW though: You can bump fire a gun without a bump stock. It's just kind of difficult, takes a lot of skill, and (just like a bump stock will actually) destroy the gun after a couple mags.

Most likely the guy had all of those firearms because he knew he would be destroying each one as he unloaded them.
    It's hilarious how Republicans were against banning anything, then their masters at the NRA said it was cool, so now they are going to ban bump stocks. So fucking brave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    what is this a long way? it sounds like a superficial examination of recent events, whipped up with some feigned bipartisanship and political victories. i think a bump stock ban goes farther than nothing by only barely

I'm not sure to whom this is directed. I don't think anyone here is clinging to his bump stocks, though they have sold nicely. I'd posit that if even the NRA says something can go, that something is not going to affect their interests.
    Not directed at anyone here. I was directing the comment at the post a few above mine that was referencing GOP individuals protesting the NRA's stance on banning bump stocks. Those individuals, specifically, that is.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I follow; I appreciate the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    It's hilarious how Republicans were against banning anything, then their masters at the NRA said it was cool, so now they are going to ban bump stocks. So fucking brave
    Because it ends the conversation.

The NRA probably doesn't get money from bump stock manufacturers (maybe they do, not going to claim I know). So they can come out for a ban, let the republicans and democrats get some bipartisan bump stock ban, everyone pats themselves on the back and goes home. NRA meanwhile gets to keep doing the shit that they've always done.

Conversation over until the next mass shooting.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Pretty sure the slide fire company has no representation in the NRA.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    Because it ends the conversation.

The NRA probably doesn't get money from bump stock manufacturers (maybe they do, not going to claim I know). So they can come out for a ban, let the republicans and democrats get some bipartisan bump stock ban, everyone pats themselves on the back and goes home. NRA meanwhile gets to keep doing the shit that they've always done.

Conversation over until the next mass shooting.
    This. It's pretty obvious.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Active Shooter on the run on the East Coast, Shot 5 People at his Job in Maryland, Shot another Person at Delaware Used Car Lot
    Radee Labeeb Prince, 37 yr old

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41673022

Article notes that the new season of House of Cards was being filmed near the Used Car dealership.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Great article about guns coming across state lines into states/cities with tight gun control regulation.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...but-guns-dont/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

That's an article about Steve Bannon trying to purge GoPers.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast