+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Online backup services     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Online backup services

Does anyone have any recommendations or criticisms regarding online backup services? I'm primarily concerned with whether or not my data will be intercepted either by malicious actors or employees/government spooks. I'd be a lot more willing to let a company hold on to backups of my anime and old programming projects if I knew for certain no one other than me would be able to access it. Preliminary research has yielded conflicting testimonials about which services are secure or reliable and whether or not they throttle the fuck out of backup speeds, so I'd like BG's opinion on the matter.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

My work has a custom solution but we used to use Carbonite. Worked really well, priced well. Never had an issue with them.

Based on your concerns, you should not back up over the internet. There are approximately 0 services that fulfill those criteria.

Honestly for what you want, you should setup your own server and have an encrypted channel to it for backing up. Even then it might not be secure, but its the best of a bunch of bad options.

I figured as much. It's just not worth the time or the money to set something up myself at the moment.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Or use something like Duplicati. It's open source, can use pretty much any online (or local) storage as a target and encrypts everything so you don't have to rely on any safety promises of the storage provider.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Bought 2x NAS (used synology), one is the master day to day files and backups, the other just receives backups from the main station as an offsite location (I made a deal with my parents, so we back each others stations up, long live the net!) You can probably find these fairly cheap if you don't want high end solutions.
    Set it up with Raid1 (cheapest and easiest). Or take an old computer, as long as you have a ordinary raid1 array, they're just mirror disks, you don't don't depend on controller or anything like that, as long as one of the drives has survived whatever happens, you're good.