Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Here Be DRGs Discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Here Be DRGs Discussion

"Here be dragons" means dangerous or unexplored territories, in imitation of a medieval practice of putting illustrations of dragons, sea monsters and other mythological creatures on uncharted areas of maps. - Wikipedia

Named the guide that because dragon puns are few and far between.

Figured a discussion thread would potentially be of use.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Guide should mention how wyvern's level up resets whenever the Confrontation status wears off (i.e. after you kill any Wanted UNM and Escha/Reisenjima Geas Fete).

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by The Assman View Post
    Guide should mention how wyvern's level up resets whenever the Confrontation status wears off (i.e. after you kill any Wanted UNM and Escha/Reisenjima Geas Fete).
    Quote Originally Posted by Second sentence of the guide
    First off, brush up on the Wyvern (Dragoon Pet) page if you never have. There is information in there that I brush over because it is in there.
    I made that page as well, so I know the confrontation and things wearing off is in it.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Guide Updates:

• Added Austar's DRG simulator download link, and credited them in the contributor section

• Updated the Trish with SAMs roll set after spending more time vetting it.

• Added Stardiver Acc sets.

• Updated my GS once again, now it changes TP indexes when SAMs roll is on. Added a third tier to Stardiver/Drakesbane to make better accuracy sets for them due to Lust +1 sucking accuracy out in the first set.

EDIT:
    • Updated the ultimate weapon descriptions after spending several days vetting Rhong which is clearly now not the best Polearm in almost any real situation. So, Trishula, Trishula, Trishula.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Stardiver sets updated with all +3 from divergence. Now split into pdif cap and uncapped since the differences grew large enough. Gavialis finally has a common situation in which it has been toppled too.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Updated Stardiver accuracy sets. Added a new tier, and based it off attack uncapped for a direct accuracy comparison.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Since no one ever edits or collaborates the DRG guide, I am just going to change it to a personal guide at this point given the extended duration of work put into it.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Braden updated the Jump TP to work for all jumps in my spreadsheet (thanks!) so I went and vetted out Jump sets a bit to see how things have changed. Overhauled the sets and added notes.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Braden hit me again with a fix for my sheet current sheet that has the Ptero Body +3 properly working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Braden
    It's set to run off of your hit rate, wyvern max HP before gear (as set in Breath Sets), and whether the Wyvern is actually alive (so Spirit Surge will disable it).
    As such I went and vetted the Jump sets, again and wrote up summaries for stuff.

The previous update also fixed a seemingly insignificant bug that wasn't factoring in crit damage Gifts. Figured I should mention that too.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Here_Be_DRGs#Jump_Sets

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Continuing the Ptero. +3 surprisefest-a-palooza with a couple of updates:

First:

Dagon Breastplate barely loses to Ptero. Mail +3 in a low/no buff situation for Stardiver. This is very slightly more pronounced with vorseals. If you had adloquium and or Tacticians (or Fighter's) roll, Ptero +3 in attack starved situations becomes even more prominent. However, that would be a very unlikely/stupid combo. SAMs roll doesn't really move the needle, believe it or not.

The significance is most placed in Divergence or Ambuscade where you may not have GEO bubbles on your target in particular.
    NMs should still always have defense down (do you not take SAM, WAR, or BLU?), dia, etc despite the GEO neutering.

As a rough rule of thumb for people. At ~50%+ defense down (essentially Idris BoG Frailty with nothing else), you are generally safe to say Ptero is losing or right about to as a worst case scenario.
    Even a decent Valorous Mail with DA and some STR (or Lustratio +1) will beat Ptero, and in a high buff situations DA Valorous wouldn't even need a STR+ augment to beat it. As for Dagon, it destroys Ptero by this stage.

Second

While thinking on the subject of the Ptero Mail +3, Steady Wing came to mind. Sure enough I ran out to Sabotender Royal to test it.
    Popped, Spirit Linked, Super Jumped 2k needles, Steady Winged, Spammed a couple WSs and then took a 4k Needles to the face.

The result: A little bit over 800 damage was absorbed from the stoneskin effect. Clearly the HP gear was not being applied on a quick macro in and out. Which was to be expected given that is how the Ptero. Mail +3 also works. That is really annoying, and something no one really talks about.

Updated the Wiki page to reflect this.

This also means Spirit Surge isn't giving the HP boost from macroed gear as well.

Pillow Talk, Strategy Edition:
    Mid combat, I can't see having a macro wait ~3-5 seconds in wyvern HP+ gear after hitting Steady Wing. Especially in a combat situation where NMs with massive regain are spamming TP moves and you would be out of a DT set and the wyvern might have already eaten it.
    Even outside of that, the DPS loss wouldn't be worth it to me. I can simply wait for the wyvern to be at low HP and get more out of Steady Wing by using it as a stop-gap between Spirit Links. If that isn't enough between a merited Spirit Link (and Escha temps!) then the wyvern probably wasn't going to make it anyway and/or I am on the wrong DD job. You could have a mixed hybrid DT set with something like the Vishap Brais +3 (to go with the Mail for accuracy) and get a bit more from Steady Wing, but lets leave this idea out of it.

At best, if we are using Steady Wing before a fight we know that there needs to be a ~3-5 second wait in the macro after putting on the gear before using it.
    • Feel free to chime in on when exactly the server actually updates it, but we know gear works for healing/restoring breath.

Which brings in the question:
    Should you Steady Wing before a fight instead?

At 100% HP with a 5/5 parameter increase, the difference between gear and no gear with a perfect set and 20/20 JPs is 1,728, excluding Vorseals; 4,110 with gear, and 2,382 without.

This would be a 519 difference in the power of Steady Wing. Lets break it down:

Steady Wing value at Wyvern HP 100%:

W/O HP+: 714
    With HP+: 1,233

Steady Wing value at Wyvern HP 75%:

W/O HP+: 1,310
    With HP+: 2,268

Steady Wing value at Wyvern HP 50%:

W/O HP+: 1,905
    With HP+: 3,288

Steady Wing value at Wyvern HP 25%:

W/O HP+: 2,501
    With HP+: 4,316

Now, I don't have all the room in the world, so I don't carry a Path D Emicho, Lancer's Earring, or Chanoix's Gorget. I am about to upgrade my Ptero Greaves to +2 so lets look at using Steady Wing before a fight from tossing on my gear while idle/buffing:

Tossing on the Anastasi Earring, Despair Fng. Gnt., Ptero Greaves +2, Updraft Mantle, and Vishap Brais +3 while the wyvern is 100% with a 5/5 parameter increase. The new max HP becomes 3,757; 1.3 x 3,757 - 2,382 = 2,502.

Assuming you carry everything you can excluding the wyvern level neck, because who even knows wtf that gain is for HP, 1.3 x 4,110 - 2,382 = 2,961 Steady Wing SS before a fight.

So, if you know you are going into a fight where you expect a lot of damage, Steady Wing lasts for 3 minutes with a cooldown of 5 and it will mitigate more damage (when properly geared) rather than using it mid combat while the wyvern is low. However, this means you can't use it as a stop gap between Spirit Links. So, it will depend on the mob, Random Deal/Wild Card, and Revits.
    You'd have to conclude that Steady Wing has valid use before a brief zerg to avoid needing to incur JA delay and lower DPS for a Spirit Link.
    Otherwise, I would believe that mob AoEs are inconsistent and annoying. Meaning the greatest use for Steady Wing is in emergencies where Spirit Link would ordinarily be enough to maintain the wyvern, but a few extra AoEs went out and you need to buy time before the next Link.

EDIT: Had another idea, while generally Super Jump is reserved for clearing hate or avoiding abilities. You could still gain the HP for Steady Wing during combat by throwing on Wyvern HP+ gear for a Super Jump as it would pass the time for the HP to be counted. You could then have a rule where if you Super Jump and the wyvern is below 60% or something to then Steady Wing before going back to your TP set after landing.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Updated Drakesbane sets as well as the Wyvern Related DT sets.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Woah, looks like it is time for a 2019 hot take.~

Yes, I ignored Aram and Shining One.

Yes, I am adding the new Odin polearm and updating the max-TP sets to now a max-non-REAM set.

Yes, I am also updating the REAM TP sets.

No, your WS sets didn't change. Even if they did, it be almost the same shit.

Yes, I am just making this all up as I go along.

No, I am not very smart.

Thank you for your understanding.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Went over the Ultimate weapon section for far too long running simulation after simulation. Even touched up the R0 section slightly.

The result is perhaps the best breakdown of REAMD weapons for any job that has been put out. Only though because people don't put out serious breakdowns which is why I bother to try and attempt as much. There may be a post or Youtube video or something talking about the surface of a topic, but really there aren't many "quality" jobs done by others, in my opinion.

I have but one life to live, and so far I have spent it in the pursuit of something trivial.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

why isnt shining one in your guide

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    why isnt shining one in your guide
    Because I don't like all the speculation, napkin math, and back and forth over how to make the most of it. All while changing your play style for something that isn't the best weapon. Let WAR and SAM worry about the Shining One.

No one is seriously maintaining the spreadsheets, and the simulator stopped at Su5s. Given that there is no serious vetting of the subject it can remain on the back burner. I prefer to read the tea leaves afterwards where as I feel they are being read beforehand.

Besides, people should likely be obtaining Geirrothr while going after the armor anyway.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Moar updates. Ultimate TP sets, DT sets, etc.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Added a Shining One specific Max Tier Impulse Set.

I will add a blurb about SO at another time, but the last update makes it pretty impossible to ignore now as has moved past mere conjecture.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I just wanted to say thank you for the DRG guide! Great job!

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Thanks for the guide and in game advice! It would be very cool if you could date the guide so future DRGs know the time frame of its relevance.