Closed Thread
Page 104 of 158 FirstFirst ... 54 94 102 103 104 105 106 114 154 ... LastLast
    GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    They've been shitting the bed for a long time, though, as far as writing quality and world cohesion. This past season just really put it into perspective how awful their priorities are as showrunners.

Yes, the go-to excuse is that GRRM hasn't put out the last two books, but they've been setting up the TV series as its own continuity as early as S2, which has had a butterfly effect as the series progressed. Last time I checked, HBO is renowned for its screen writing in original dramas, so lacking source material is a pretty poor excuse for being incapable of writing original content.

Unfortunately, they've made awful choices with which writers (and occasionally directors) they've hired or promoted (including themselves) -- from promoting the dude who came up with Olly to writer... because he came up with Olly... to promoting Bryan Cogman to writer, the person previously in charge of story continuity, whose mantra is now "our mistakes don't matter, viewers don't care."

Not gonna discount the herculean efforts of the other production crew, but the show's narrative has been mismanaged big time. Went from typically deep, immersive HBO drama to frat bro fist bump hour, because D&D don't understand the source material.
    No argument here. Last season was when it officially jumped the shark for me, however.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

at first when robert jordan died and left wheel of time unfinished i was highly dissatisfied with sanderson's style concluding the story. but now when i go back and reread the series i can appreciate what a good job he did given the circumstances. i wonder if the same will hold true a few years from now with the show version of got, especially when compared to martin's final books if he ever publishes them.

BG Level

yeah i was really happy with the WoT conclusion by sanderson (except for the fucking cop out ending, seriously, fuck that. but that had jordan written all over it. sets it up great, never takes the shot) especially considering from book 7 on it's 600 pages of 'wtf am i still reading this for' followed by 200 pages of fucking awesome. last 3 books really pulled it off.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The show had a few silly things last year, over all it was great and most episodes were very well received. D&D aren't perfect, but they still gave us awesome shit like BAttle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter without the help of GRRM.

Crying about the last season over a year before it comes out is ridiculous lol.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well received by who? Professional critics who have also told us that Last Jedi was a good movie?

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Well received by who? Professional critics who have also told us that Last Jedi was a good movie?
    Disliked by who? A bunch of nerds on Facebook?

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

IMDB, Rotten tomatoes, literally anything where users get to vote on shit and everyone I've ever spoken to IRL lol. Like, by what metric do you think the last season wasn't well received?

There was some dumb shit, Sansa/Arya plotline (although the last 2 scenes of it were great). Bronn and Jaime escaping from the bottom of the ocean (though everything before and after was great). How they showed the passage of time beyond the wall was bad, as was Deus Ex Benjen killing himself. But for the most part, shit was great. They made Euron enjoyable, they had a battle scene that lived up to the expectations set by the battle of the bastards. Most people that died had crazy enjoyable death scenes. Jon and Dany were actually interesting to watch together. Whitewalkers are finally fucking doing something. Jaime finally told Cersei to fuck off. And so much more good shit that almost everybody loved.

A couple of dumb moments doesn't ruin all the good shit that we got. If it did for you, I'm sorry, that blows. But the cast majority disagrees with you.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eurell View Post
    A couple of dumb moments doesn't ruin all the good shit that we got. If it did for you, I'm sorry, that blows. But the cast majority disagrees with you.
    It does for a lot of us. By comparison, I can overlook a shitty sand snake plotline in prior seasons because the other stuff was still mostly strong. It has been discussed ad nauseum on here so I'll use a quote that sums up my feelings

Season 7 of Game of Thrones was bad. It was bizarrely paced, with plot devices that skirted perilously close to deus ex machina territory, requiring characters to forget things they should have remembered and fans to unlearn things they knew about the world. The effect was slapdash—invigorating set-piece moments (Dany astride Drogon, the great black dragon spitting fire on helpless Lannister troops) bookended by infuriatingly convenient plot turns (whole armies appearing out of nowhere; Jaime Lannister walking back to King’s Landing after the Loot Train Attack, unseen and unmolested despite thousands of Dothraki horse warriors roaming the landscape).
    https://www.theringer.com/tv/2017/12...eason-7-review

Sansa/Arya and capture-the-wight were the unforgivable offenders for me.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Season 7 sucked cocks and dicks for the most part.

The rest of the show was far better but the quality has suffered since they passed by the written material.

It's very obvious that the showrunners had it easy until then.

This is not the first time HBO screwed up their own show by doing stupid shit. True Blood comes to mind for me because later seasons they din't even try to have a story, it was shirtless Alexander Skarsgard and whatever the fuck was going on only God knows. D&D made lots of stupid decisions without considering how they will impact the overall plot. They openly admit that they pretty much gave free reign to the actors that played Littlefinger and Ellaria because they were fanboys of theirs and as a consequence we ended up with terrible arc for both of them.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

All I know is it's all about cocks in the end

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

yeah, p much all about buttsex

apparently next season ends with Tyrion becoming the first president of Westeros

BG Level

a vote for a dwarf is a vote for brothels on every corner

people remember that dwarfs penny

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eurell View Post
    They made Euron enjoyable
    No they didn't lol. Euron and his teleporting ninja fleet were some of the dumbest things last season lol.

BG Level

Scourge of the seas is my nigga hater

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    No they didn't lol. Euron and his teleporting ninja fleet were some of the dumbest things last season lol.
    He got shit done though and that's all that matters in the fleet.

BG Level

Wrong thread