Closed Thread
Page 55 of 158 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    I had a hard time understanding Tyrion's position in that scene.
    He's still a Lannister and a Westerosi, even if he has a fraught relationship with his immediate family.

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

We can all agree that gendry looks like christian bale in these last 2 episodes right?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    We can all agree that gendry looks like christian bale in these last 2 episodes right?
    Oh yeah. I had to double-take at first because I had forgotten what Gendry looked like, and was briefly stunned that Christian Bale had showed up in GoT.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    He's still a Lannister and a Westerosi, even if he has a fraught relationship with his immediate family.
    His feelings during the battle and while watching Jaime's desperate charge make perfect sense. But post-battle, in determining how to handle the surrendered, I don't really understand his reluctance to kill the Tarly's. Dany's approach seemed more than fair for the losing side in a battle

Put another way, that scene would have made sense to me if it had been Jaime/Bronn/someone else Tyrion cares for in the Tarly position, where he just hates to see a friend die across from him. Why does he give a shot about the Tarly's, fresh off choosing to turn on Olenna for the crown

GATTACA!

BG Level

Yep, gf made that comment

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    uh no the country's been embroiled in a 5-or-so-way civil war for years no one is living normal ass lives. i imagine most of the peasantry just want peace and will support any ruler that gives that to them. and given how anti-rape-and-pillage Dany has been since season 1 p sure she's going to keep the Dothraki in line.

that said Varys and Tyrion's reaction was one of the reasons i loved the scene. the series trades in moral ambiguity and 'she's the bad guy! he's the good guy!' isn't the point of the show. Dany executed two rebel nobles and in doing so brought the remnants of the Lannister army to her side. what do you think Cersei would have done with the remnants of a rebel army? what did Tywin do with his prisoners? the execution of prisoners, especially one as innocent and dumb and good as Dickon, is not a moral act. but it is a justifiable one from Dany's perspective, and one that is far far less immoral than many acts we've seen previously. she is being held to a higher standard than any that came before here.
    hot pie and gendry, two orphans without a penny to their name, were out there thriving as entrepreneurs as a baker and blacksmith mang. it's the soldiers that have been getting fucked up by these wars, normal peeps are living it up just fine out there when magic isn't involved. hell, normal ass peeps were practically ruling the iron throne just 1 season ago

anyway, my point is what dany kept saying for the past however many seasons (wheel quote etc),
    Spoiler: show

that entire purpose of coming over here, freeing all the common folk from their woes and shit, ain't in her mind atm. dany ain't saving anybody from shit. what happens if the common folk don't bend the knee and acknowledge her as queen cause they have absolutely no reason to do so? she'll crispify those fuckers and look smug doing it, ruling over a pile of ash. that shit ain't what tyrion and varys had in mind when they signed up for this ride

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Oh yeah. I had to double-take at first because I had forgotten what Gendry looked like, and was briefly stunned that Christian Bale had showed up in GoT.
    I thought I was the only one.

BG Level

that is the hottest take i've heard all day and it began with someone trying to defend 808s & Heartbreak i don't know how someone could miss the endless civilian atrocities on the show or think Dany going out of her way to not burn people alive is indicative she's going to burn everyone alive

regardless you talk like a f word and your shit's all retarded and i give you the field

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I could audibly hear my GF get wet when homie popped back up.

I can't wait for him to die.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

His feelings during the battle and while watching Jaime's desperate charge make perfect sense. But post-battle, in determining how to handle the surrendered, I don't really understand his reluctance to kill the Tarly's. Dany's approach seemed more than fair for the losing side in a battle

Put another way, that scene would have made sense to me if it had been Jaime/Bronn/someone else Tyrion cares for in the Tarly position, where he just hates to see a friend die across from him. Why does he give a shot about the Tarly's, fresh off choosing to turn on Olenna for the crown
    Because Tyrion understands politics and it's just fucking bad optics to end a house as big as the Tarlys from the region you're trying to conquer/save. That's not how you gain sympathizers for your cause.

It doesn't matter if Dany plans to burn/kill everyone else. To the Westeros people it starts to look like she will. It looks like shes every much the foreign, evil conquering queen that Cersei wants to paint her as.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    hot pie and gendry, two orphans without a penny to their name, were out there thriving as entrepreneurs as a baker and blacksmith mang. it's the soldiers that have been getting fucked up by these wars, normal peeps are living it up just fine out there when magic isn't involved. hell, normal ass peeps were practically ruling the iron throne just 1 season ago
    FYI this is completely inaccurate. With all of the chaos caused by the war of the three kings and the unrest afterward, the common folk have been extremely vulnerable and outlaw bands have been raping and pillaging unfettered

BG Level

that is the hottest take i've heard all day and it began with someone trying to defend 808s & Heartbreak i don't know how someone could miss the endless civilian atrocities on this show or think Dany going out of her way to not burn people alive is indicative she's going to burn everyone alive

regardless you talk like an f word and your shit's all retarded and i give you the field
    I don't understand how the tyrion and varys scene, reminiscing about her father doing the exact same thing, can be taken any other way.
    Varys specifically says he's struggling with the possibility that there are parallels between dany and the mad king. And he's been on team dany before anyone... He's the dude that basically got us here.

There's absolutely no other way to take that scene.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Because Tyrion understands politics and it's just fucking bad optics to end a house as big as the Tarlys from the region you're trying to conquer/save. That's not how you gain sympathizers for your cause.

It doesn't matter if Dany plans to burn/kill everyone else. To the Westeros people it starts to look like she will. It looks like shes every much the foreign, evil conquering queen that Cersei wants to paint her as.
    This argument is fair. My counter:

The people there to see it know that the Tarly's were offered the chance to join or take the black and they chose execution. The rest of the army was spared when they acquiesced.

There aren't always perfect solutions. Either you spare everyone, giving them a chance to turn on you or you kill them and seem ruthless.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

This argument is fair. My counter:

The people there to see it know that the Tarly's were offered the chance to join or take the black and they chose execution. The rest of the army was spared when they acquiesced.

There aren't always perfect solutions. Either you spare everyone, giving them a chance to turn on you or you kill them and seem ruthless.
    I don't know why people keep making case for commoners and/or soldiers. They don't matter if you want to rule. They get fucked no matter what. Sure Dany could try to make things better for them, but she doesn't need them in her army. She need Nobles and Lords on your side.

And sure, this will send the message that those Lords and Nobles should get on Dany's side if they don't want to be burned alive. But Tyrion wants to win her actual allies, not ones that do it out of fear and one day hope to stab her in the back.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

And I think that to some degree it was simply because Tyrion cares about Westeros and it's history and traditions and didn't want a noble house line being destroyed right here and there.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

And to further add to it. The Maesters exemplified this. They don't know Dany's intentions. All they know is what they've heard. And they've heard that she burned alive the last 2 remaining title holders of one of the Noble Houses. They even think the undead thing could be a ploy by Dany. They may have thought differently if Dany threw them in a dungeon and Tyrion was eventually able to convince them to come to their side.

Tarly fought for King Aerys for god's sake. Someone like him would have added much needed Westerosi credibility for Dany.

And maybe Tyrion wouldn't have been able to. But as he put it, she even snuffed out the possibility. She's just shit tier at politics.

BG Level

you're right besides Dorne and Highgarden and half the Iron Islands and the King in the North she's never made a Westerosi ally

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

you're right besides Dorne and Highgarden and half the Iron Islands and the King in the North she's never made a Westerosi ally
    They all came to her because they were mad (and/or need dragon glass). Not because she's a political genius. Mostly engineered by Varys.

You're better than that.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Btw they're all gone now and she needs to do better.

BG Level

where did i say she was a political genius

and the ones that are gone are so because of Tyrion's failed military strategy

Closed Thread
Page 55 of 158 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast