+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Never got to take my sabbatical back in 2020 for the Olympics (thanks COVID), so I'm trying to plan something now for end of this year (Nov/Dec) to Australia/New Zealand. High level plan is to go US to Sydney, spend a few days there and then go up to Cairns for Great Barrier Reef stuff, then fly from Cairns to Auckland and do north NZ stuff and then fly back to the US. Looking for any input on things to do and amount of time I should plan (minimum ish) at Sydney/Cairns/Auckland area. Will be with family and my then 3 yo daughter for context.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

So, wife and I kept it "safe" since she's now well over 7 months pregnant and we went to Maui. I put safe in quotes because we did some travel into areas with no cell service and hours away from the nearest hospital, as well as took some trails we probably shouldn't have.

With that said, it was an amazing vacation. One of the best I've ever taken.

We stayed at the Andaz, which is beside where they filmed the first season of The White Lotus. Beautiful hotel, gorgeous location.

We did the popular Road to Hanna. It's essentially a trip around the large mountain on the island to a small town on the other side. It's a very winding road (reportedly 620+ turns, most hairpin). Lots of beautiful foliage and possibly hundreds of waterfalls. We took the trip in reverse (counter clockwise). It's not the route most people go, but I definitely preferred this route to the more popular route. The reverse route takes you to the southern, desolate part of the island. It was probably the best driving road I've ever driven. Immaculate pavement, wide, sprawling landscapes of cliffs and ocean. Had a real "Big Sur" feel without the traffic. I passed maybe 3 cars in the first 2 hours. After a couple hours, roads got progressively worse til some were unpaved. Landscape still just as gorgeous. The full route with stops took about 11 hours.

Our first lengthy stop was the Haleakala National Park. We did a 4 mile hike through a rainforest. Incredible hike with waterfalls as high as 400ft tall and trails through sweeps of bamboo.

Our next stop was supposed to be the black sand beach, but we missed our reservation. I recalled reading about a red sand beach that was supposed to be significantly better than the black sand beach. It wasn't listed on the map or in the guide app I used for navigating. After some crappy landmark guides found online, we found the spot. It required going down a trail for about a 500 yards that has danger signs posted everywhere along with private property signs. The trail is about 3ft wide, 100ft drop in some places, directly into a rocky ocean. And then...and then...you get here....this was the highlight of the trip.

We spent the rest of the vacation chilling on the beach, snorkeling, getting high (me), and eating at local food trucks. The food trucks had better food than some of the $250+ meals we had. We also had some maternity pics done.

Overall, A+ vacation spot. Will almost definitely go back.

Champion of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Beautiful pictures. The last one of you and your wife is really good. Your red pants stand out quite a bit though. lol

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Wow, dreamy!

Couldn’t be a better season as well.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Tomiko View Post
    Beautiful pictures. The last one of you and your wife is really good. Your red pants stand out quite a bit though. lol
    Her dress looked more light blue online and my pants looked more pastel orange. When we got them in, her dress was such a light blue, it was almost white and my pants were more light red. Didn't have time to order new clothes, but her dress was supposed to be a bit brighter and my pants a bit lighter.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ay, where the weebs at?

Tymon and I are gonna be visiting Japan in March. We're going for a couple weeks. We're gonna spend some time in Tokyo but haven't nailed down the other cities yet.

Send recommendations for both Tokyo stuff and any other cities you think we should visit.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

ride a spiffy train

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

You'll often see advice the JR Pass for using the trains is a great value if you bop around the country.
    They hiked the price two months ago. It was $320 for a two week pass, now it's $540. Still might be cheaper than not getting one, but not AMAZING anymore.

As for other cities, Osaka and Kyoto/Nara are the common other recommendations. If you want nature/not so major city, head up to Hokkaido.
    For a (relatively) quick primer on the prefectures that's not super dry, https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...venPrefectures

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Ay, where the weebs at?

Tymon and I are gonna be visiting Japan in March. We're going for a couple weeks. We're gonna spend some time in Tokyo but haven't nailed down the other cities yet.

Send recommendations for both Tokyo stuff and any other cities you think we should visit.
    https://www.tokyozebra.com/maps

I used this guy's guides whenever I visited a specific neighborhood in Japan. Also, make sure to double check with Google Maps because lockdowns killed some of these places.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ragns View Post
    https://www.tokyozebra.com/maps

I used this guy's guides whenever I visited a specific neighborhood in Japan. Also, make sure to double check with Google Maps because lockdowns killed some of these places.
    To double down on Paolo from Tokyo, he has an absolute treasure trove of content on youtube as far as places to go. Highly recommend watching some of his stuff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag