Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Synology diskstation having updating issues unless the router's firewall rule for the device is DMZ

I'm really not familiar with networking and this has been driving me batty for the last week or so- My diskstation recently started saying it was unable to update and to check network/dns settings. I have no issue connecting to the diskstation on network but it will not update anything and the quickconnect page is blank (I have set it up and used it previously).

I have tried changing the default gateway and disabling ipv6 and rebooting per googling the synology forums but that hasnt done anything. I changed the router's firewall rule to allow all/dmz mode and it seems to work fine so what should I do here?

This is a work diskstation and I'd prefer not to have it as vulnerable as the dmz mode makes it sound. Though tbf I am not sure what kind of vulnerabilities that opens it up to either way. I have not changed the firewall settings on the diskstation itself- only through the router to get it to work again.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I don't remember off the top of my head which ports the Synology uses, but it sounds like the ports it needs for update are blocked on the router/firewall out towards the net, google up the specific ports needed, forward them to the necessary IP and see?
    (ideally, you'd never let it see the internet or the internet see it except for when you want it to, I have quickconnect and all that jazz disabled on mine, but have a VPN configured so I tunnell into my home network to access it)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

I have 2 Synology boxes myself and updates work fine on both without any port forwardings or firewall rules on them or the router. They should use standard HTTP(S) for updates, so it would be really weird if your router is blocking that...
    Have you tried to set your box to DHCP instead of configuring IP/Gateway etc manually? Maybe something is wrong with your manual settings.