Page 109 of 158 FirstFirst ... 59 99 107 108 109 110 111 119 ... LastLast
    Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I had been considering switching to cyber security. Thing is, I know nothing about it. Honestly, I started associate's in programming because when I learned how to spellcast in XI I really enjoyed messing with the .xml files. I was fascinated with how one wrong input would disable everything. However I had taken notice how cyber security is a growing need and how it pays well. I'll definitely check it out.
    Yea just take practice tests, and take notes on the practice test content. Use what is on the test that you're unfamiliar with as information you need to study.

I was doing practice tests and every single acronym i was unfamiliar with I jotted down in my electronic notes, and then after the test I did reserach on what that acronym stood for and the underlying principles.

I started out with my first test about 75% right, after a couple weeks was able to raise my score into the high 80's.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Found Kerrygold 2 year aged reserve cheddar at Costco. And it was only $5.99 a lbs. For reference most the other places I see around here sell for $4.99-$6.99 for a little 7 oz block

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I don't post in this thread much, but I just achieved my biggest accomplishment by passing my 6th licensing exam to be a licensed architect within the great state of Illinois. I can legally call myself an architect and build you a home. I should also update that Homeowner's thread, too...

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Grats!

i'm curious, do you do small commissions? small custom sheds, lean-to's, outbuildings, etc. also, are you allowed to do them for people out of state?

Finally we can have someone build a dungeon with a dragon at the end.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    Grats!

i'm curious, do you do small commissions? small custom sheds, lean-to's, outbuildings, etc. also, are you allowed to do them for people out of state?
    These are items best done by a home builder but consulting on the design process is possible. I work on large projects specifically mass masonry buildings (homes, commercial and institutuonal). I'd be too expensive for a lean-to =P my license is for the state of Illinois - it is illegal to practice (does not include consulting or working for someone with a license) outside my jurisdiction as an architect; however reciprocity is very easy depending on the state. Usually requires additional paperwork to be licensed in another state.

And yes I will build the best fucking dungeon. With blackjack and hookers and dragons. In fact, forget the blackjack and hookers.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

hah, got a project in mind and my parents hired someone to draw up plans for their last big project which worked out well. i always prefer to support people i know when possible, so i was curious.

mass masonry, so like brick and cinderblock and such? are you responsible for designing the next generation of terrible high schools with questionable design choices?

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I appreciate it

Mass masonry is "traditional" masonry construction. Typically with brick and clay backup walls and stone or brick faces that are self supporting. You are describing masonry veneer construction where the concrete masonry (cinder block is not the technical term but a laymen word) does all the structural work and the brick (or whatever material you choose) is supported by the CMU wall typically with a drainage cavity between.

Since I'm so glad I work in historic preservation I do not have to build the shitty new schools.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

oh awesome. i've always loved brick buildings. If you're ever up in duluth maybe you can help my parents figure out how to get their former-church-now-home tuckpointed without spending 60 grand

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Hah good luck, your at the mercy of the local masons on that one. I bet they just smear mortar over the joints and call it a day (barf).

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

my parents know the guy who gave them that quote; he was the team lead for the guy who redid their roof, so i think he'd do a good job. Not just his own professional reputation on the line at that point. but it's a church, so tall, sidewalks everywhere, etc. the bulk of the cost was scaffolding, iirc.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Good to know they are on good terms. Hopefully he knows a good pointing job when he sees one - grind out joints 3/4" and apply new mortar in 3 successive layers, moisten existing brick so as not to absorb all the water from the mortar before it sets properly. Most "masons" will grind off the loose stuff about 1/4" - 1/2" then butter in all the mortar at once and tool it to look nice. I'm spoiled with Chicago masons who have decades of experience on the masonry buildings in downtown and know how to do it proper.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

they're up in duluth which has quite a few brick buildings, many of them historic, so they're hoping it won't be too bad to find someone good/competitive even if they don't go with the first guy.

you ever seen pictures of St. Scholastica College? Bet you'd love it. They call it "Hogwarts on the Hill"

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Wow that's a very unique rubble stone building :O I was recently at the Indiana University campus for the first time and got to witness their use of Indiana Limestone throughout every building - it is a beautiful campus.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Got some new glasses that I like! They are flexible, do not fall off my face, and are not dust magnets like my prior glasses. Best part was finding out we had some decent vision insurance with the change to the wife's insurance package. For the exam, frames, some special lenses for peripheral vision so I know longer get that weird double vision, $168 out the door. And I can get a new pair every year.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Minor win;

I think most of you guys know I'm LDS. Up until recently, it'd of been pretty obvious if you saw me in person, since I was wearing a gold CTR ring on my right pinky. Well, I've lost enough weight that it's been getting kinda loosey-goosey, but I was stubborn and didn't put it in the jewellery box while I was saving to get it resized.

Well, that bit me in the butt; I woke up one morning with it not on my finger when I'd been wearing it in bed. I didn't remember taking it off..must of done it in my sleep; at the time I didn't know WHERE it had come off. Anyway, to make a long story short, I FOUND IT on the floor in my room today and now it's in the jewellery box; soon as I can save the $$ to not only Uber/Lyft to a top rated jewellery store by the mall (I'd rather have one that knows what they're doing with this.) but to pay for getting it resized. Since that was a gift from Grandma from the old Liahona bookstore down here (That store's..gone now..) I'm glad to not have lost it forever! Not to mention it did play a role in the worst FFXI drama I've had to deal with, but that's another story...

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    Wow that's a very unique rubble stone building :O I was recently at the Indiana University campus for the first time and got to witness their use of Indiana Limestone throughout every building - it is a beautiful campus.
    That's awesome. I've never really pursued it, but I've always found brick/stonework to be fascinating and gorgeous. Milwaukee is a bit closer to your bailiwick so I wouldn't be surprised if you know more about it than me, but they call themselves "Cream City" because of the cream-colored brick used in the post-WWII housing boom. Should take a look if you haven't, some of it's quite beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Got some new glasses that I like! They are flexible, do not fall off my face, and are not dust magnets like my prior glasses. Best part was finding out we had some decent vision insurance with the change to the wife's insurance package. For the exam, frames, some special lenses for peripheral vision so I know longer get that weird double vision, $168 out the door. And I can get a new pair every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Minor win;

I think most of you guys know I'm LDS. Up until recently, it'd of been pretty obvious if you saw me in person, since I was wearing a gold CTR ring on my right pinky. Well, I've lost enough weight that it's been getting kinda loosey-goosey, but I was stubborn and didn't put it in the jewellery box while I was saving to get it resized.

Well, that bit me in the butt; I woke up one morning with it not on my finger when I'd been wearing it in bed. I didn't remember taking it off..must of done it in my sleep; at the time I didn't know WHERE it had come off. Anyway, to make a long story short, I FOUND IT on the floor in my room today and now it's in the jewellery box; soon as I can save the $$ to not only Uber/Lyft to a top rated jewellery store by the mall (I'd rather have one that knows what they're doing with this.) but to pay for getting it resized. Since that was a gift from Grandma from the old Liahona bookstore down here (That store's..gone now..) I'm glad to not have lost it forever! Not to mention it did play a role in the worst FFXI drama I've had to deal with, but that's another story...
    Yay! Seeing and finding!

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Ya we worked on the City Hall a couple years ago - I did not know it was called the Cream City for that reason, very neat.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Went for girlfriends 21th week scan yesterday.
    Baby has all its members and seems to be developing well.and

ITS A BOY !

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare