Closed Thread
Page 115 of 158 FirstFirst ... 65 105 113 114 115 116 117 125 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    My favorite is the idiots with cars. USA USA! Uh dude....your truck came from Mexico.....
    Wife and I were just talking about this when i saw a guy ahead of us with pro-USA stuff (Cars and trucks, etc)covering his truck. The thing was it was like a 1995 Truck that looked like it was frankensteined together. Had four different colors on different parts of the body. All i could think was, you don't support foreign stuff, but your ass hasn't supported domestic either with that old ass truck.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Another nice little win;

I'd gotten a code for two tickets to the Cedar Fair amusement parks, (Like Knott's Berry Farm; we don't live by any of those) from Coca-Cola. I found a way to trade them; thanks to one of my XI/XIV friends (since it took more than one of those codes), I now have two season passes to Six Flags over GA coming, one for me, one for Shadowneko (Since we do live near THAT, it's just a 5 minute drive away).

That also gives us access to Six Flags Whitewater, so BOY are me and 'Neko going to have fun this summer..

[Edit] Oh, and obligatory old commercial:

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Had an interview earlier with Dart Container, whom I learned today bought out Solo Cups, for IT Help desk assistant. Interview felt good. They told me straight up they are having issues finding people that know how to communicate with others. They said they'll be in touch either way. Tues-Sat 7AM-4PM. Not terrible. Not sure on pay. Can't find anything concrete online.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

A win, but kind of an inquiry on how to improve too.

For the past 10~ years, I largely reserved myself to the idea that I'd never have credit or be eligible for anything. I made a lot of mistakes in my post college days. Fast forward to about 6 months ago when someone told me that bad debt falls off of your record (why is this sort of stuff seriously not taught in schools?), and I was sitting tight with a flat 600 score. Since then, I've managed to increase it over 100 points and I've actually gotten some cards in my name and such.

What can I do to improve it further? The negatives I'm seeing on my report include credit age, number of open accounts, and total available credit. I haven't had a late payment on my car since I've purchased it three years ago and the two credit cards are being managed fine without issue. Is there anything more I can do, or am I in for slow growth now? Beyond the growth, I guess a good question is what can I do with better credit? Sounds like a dumb question, but I dunno if there are certain points that matter or certain types of loans or offers that open once you reach a certain score.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Sign up for credit karma for free credit monitoring/credit score updates. They can also recommend different credit cards for you based on your score and give you a pros and cons report for each one. They’ll also alert you to any impacts to your score like hard pulls if you’ve been unfortunate enough to deal with identity theft issues.

Also FYI not all debt falls off with your credit report with time. Student loan debt is stuck with you until you pay it off or you die.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Addition factor for credit:

Having credit you don’t use is good. For instance having 10,000$ worth of credit and only using $1,000 is better than having $10,000 in credit and using $9,000.

Therefore it is logical to have as many forms of credit possible to max your top end available number but it isn’t necessary to go crazy.

I have a house, car, and 2 credit cards. I prepay extra on the house and car every month and pay off the credit card every two weeks. I have $25,000 in credit card limits between the two cards. My credit score is over 800.

Your 700 score is decent. Anything over 740 is mostly top tier.

And yes it takes about two years to turn a horrible credit score into a decent credit score, assuming you don’t have a bankruptcy dragging it down. Sounds like you have done most of the hard work.

If you are interested in general financial health, not just a good credit score I recommend the Dave Ramsey series. Things like savings play a pretty huge role in actual financial health. The peace of mind I have knowing I can live off savings for 6 months without a job is hard to overstate.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Dave Ramsey
    Just don't listen to anything he says about life insurance.

edit: Rather, his stance on whole life which is terrible. Not surprising he likes to pump term. I mean, he backs Zander Insurance after all.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Face to face interview for IT Help Desk scheduled for 4/9. The auto dealer called yesterday and said they can't hire another for the dept I interviewed for. However, one of the current people in that dept has requested to be moved to sales and they told me they want me to fill her shoes but this will be a process.

So now the conundrum of if the IT job offers right away or even just before the auto dealer. Money potential in the near future favors the auto dealer. Plus, I think I'd do awesome at that position. But then I'm still at the whim of a customers decision which effects my pay. The IT job would be cool because I could get my foot in the door and it's a rather large company. However the pay is most likely to be somewhere between 25-40 percent lower and I'd have to commute (only about a 30 minute drive but still highway driving in the winter sucks).

I think I'd rather take the auto dealer job but if the IT job offers first do I even say anything to the auto dealer? What would you do?

I like to eat food
    BG Level

How long before the auto dealer would be able to make an offer?

Can tell IT that you're expecting an offer from another company and will have to let them know as long as it's a reasonable time frame.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Double and I didn't even click submit twice.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Face to face interview for IT Help Desk scheduled for 4/9. The auto dealer called yesterday and said they can't hire another for the dept I interviewed for. However, one of the current people in that dept has requested to be moved to sales and they told me they want me to fill her shoes but this will be a process.

So now the conundrum of if the IT job offers right away or even just before the auto dealer. Money potential in the near future favors the auto dealer. Plus, I think I'd do awesome at that position. But then I'm still at the whim of a customers decision which effects my pay. The IT job would be cool because I could get my foot in the door and it's a rather large company. However the pay is most likely to be somewhere between 25-40 percent lower and I'd have to commute (only about a 30 minute drive but still highway driving in the winter sucks).

I think I'd rather take the auto dealer job but if the IT job offers first do I even say anything to the auto dealer? What would you do?
    If you have the IT job in hand, I'd be straight up with the auto dealer and tell them you want to work there but you can't wait around for them. If they can't get you something in writing I'd take the IT position

The "process" of moving that person to sales could take a month or it could take a year (or never). I wouldn't want to be at the mercy of a corporation's glacial decision-making

Ultimately it's up to you if you think the benefit of the better job outweighs the risk of being stuck at your current job for even longer. Of course you can keep interviewing elsewhere while you wait for the dealer and see if something better pops up

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Either position will be a massive improvement over my current employment. I agree with your process sentiment. During the interview I was told basically everything including stuff that's not normally disclosed until an offer is made. I was asked if I had any questions and I took the opportunity to request being able to give longer than a 2 week notice at my current job since it's a very small business (it will be the owner and his crap worker). He said that wouldn't be a problem. He mentioned yesterday "since you aren't in a huge rush" and I think now I shot myself in the foot.

I see opportunity in the IT job for long term. I'm not getting younger and it would be nice to try and stay put moving forward. They wouldn't mention pay in the phone interview but I'm sure that will be disclosed on 4/9. I'm afraid it's going to be a low figure and if so I'd have to sit on it.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Either position will be a massive improvement over my current employment. I agree with your process sentiment. During the interview I was told basically everything including stuff that's not normally disclosed until an offer is made. I was asked if I had any questions and I took the opportunity to request being able to give longer than a 2 week notice at my current job since it's a very small business (it will be the owner and his crap worker). He said that wouldn't be a problem. He mentioned yesterday "since you aren't in a huge rush" and I think now I shot myself in the foot.

I see opportunity in the IT job for long term. I'm not getting younger and it would be nice to try and stay put moving forward. They wouldn't mention pay in the phone interview but I'm sure that will be disclosed on 4/9. I'm afraid it's going to be a low figure and if so I'd have to sit on it.
    Glassdoor has the IT Help Desk Technician at $17-19/hr (https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Dar...eFTS=help+desk) (if this is the right company/job).

edit: if you're having issues seeing the salary, open it up in incognito mode/block cookies.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucki View Post
    Glassdoor has the IT Help Desk Technician at $17-19/hr (https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Dar...eFTS=help+desk) (if this is the right company/job).

edit: if you're having issues seeing the salary, open it up in incognito mode/block cookies.
    Holy shit thank you for posting this! Yes that's the company. I wonder if there would be a difference in pay since the position is "assistant". Still help desk. Even at $17/hr I'd take that over the dealer position because I could probably grow more. My only worry about the job itself is not having patience. However, I can only go off of my current experiences dealing with people and having patience with regards to the insurance industry. But like usual, I'm probably overthinking it.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Considering the amount of dumb I have heard from my friend who does IT help desk work, patience dealing with dumbs comes with the job. Some people who don't know how to turn on a PC or a monitor, printer issues, or remoteing in to find internet browsers from hell (imagine half the browser filled with search engine plugins) are a few things that come to mind. You get numb to it eventually and laugh it off with your PC savvy friends/BG random fail thread.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Took today off to watch opening day baseball lol.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Considering the amount of dumb I have heard from my friend who does IT help desk work, patience dealing with dumbs comes with the job. Some people who don't know how to turn on a PC or a monitor, printer issues, or remoteing in to find internet browsers from hell (imagine half the browser filled with search engine plugins) are a few things that come to mind. You get numb to it eventually and laugh it off with your PC savvy friends/BG random fail thread.
    What I gathered from the first interview is if the fix cannot be done over the phone we dispatch a tech. My current dumb ranges anywhere from when I ask a person what their check number is they give me the routing or multiple times a week answering the phone with my company name and not until a few minutes into the conversation they ask if I'm AAA/Allstate/whatever to a woman berating me because she's behind on her bill and I personally am taking food out of her family's mouth or a guy literally challenging me to a fight because I asked him if I could get the fax number to where he needed a doc faxed to.

I feel like help desk is a starting point and I could move around in the company. I've been heavily considering returning to school for cyber security. Thing is, I have no clue if I'd actually enjoy doing these things. Working the auto dealer, only moves I could make would be to sell cars (NOPE) or gun for management in the department I'm hired for. Also pay will never be the same.

Lately I've been going down the YT rabbit hole of Ted Talk videos, mostly motivation. This one had a person saying barely anyone gives even an hour a day to accomplish their dreams. I took some time to think about what my dreams are and the immediate thing that comes to mind is not dreading having to go to work. Like, knot in throat you want to curl into fetal position dread for work. I then thought about how I do enjoy sales and talking with people. When you really help someone and they show gratitude, it's an incredible feeling. My thought process is if I worked somewhere that offered what people wanted I could really shine there. I also am a firm believer that words can make or break someone's day so working in a field where I'm talking with people all day gives me the chance to brighten the day up for someone. I'd love to somehow find a position teaching sales and communication. Only management at the dealer would offer that.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Holy shit thank you for posting this! Yes that's the company. I wonder if there would be a difference in pay since the position is "assistant". Still help desk. Even at $17/hr I'd take that over the dealer position because I could probably grow more. My only worry about the job itself is not having patience. However, I can only go off of my current experiences dealing with people and having patience with regards to the insurance industry. But like usual, I'm probably overthinking it.
    It's possible, but without knowing the job description, it's hard to say. I looked up general IT Help Desk Assistant jobs in Michigan (don't know where you live) and the average pay for it's coming back with is just under ~$37k with 0-1 years of experience (link).

edit: Glassdoor is a decent way to gauge pay, but sometimes it's not 100% accurate. So take what it says with a grain of salt.

edit2:

Right out of the door in IT you are closer to 30k or less in Michigan. I can't tell you how many people walk out of college and act as they should start at 60k or more. It's a big blow when they find out most tech companies worth their weight know fresh college students 99/100 times are closer to end users than a help desk tech. I think i've said it in the IT fail thread, I will take one year experience over 4 years of college any day of the week.

That said, once you are over the one to two year mark, things really start to open up. After 5 years, if you have any VMware/virtualization/and basic server admin experience the jobs are endless. I ended up disabling my linkin account because the tech head hunters will start hitting you up often after that, but that is if you want short term contract work (Which is nice for extra money every now and then)

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    Right out of the door in IT you are closer to 30k or less in Michigan. I can't tell you how many people walk out of college and act as they should start at 60k or more. It's a big blow when they find out most tech companies worth their weight know fresh college students 99/100 times are closer to end users than a help desk tech. I think i've said it in the IT fail thread, I will take one year experience over 4 years of college any day of the week.

That said, once you are over the one to two year mark, things really start to open up. After 5 years, if you have any VMware/virtualization/and basic server admin experience the jobs are endless. I ended up disabling my linkin account because the tech head hunters will start hitting you up often after that, but that is if you want short term contract work (Which is nice for extra money every now and then)
    So in other words, while the short term pay may be less than favorable, this position has potential to open a lot of doors down the road. I don't think I could accept less than 30 because of commuting alone. My auto insurance will go up (currently have low mileage rating), wear and tear on the current car, and I'll have to buy something decent for the winter. The auto dealer is is 5.1 miles away from home. Much lower ceiling though.