Closed Thread
Page 155 of 158 FirstFirst ... 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 ... LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Gotta be honest, 4 days into remote learning kindergarten

... Being a teacher right now seems preeeeety fuckin sweet
    Kindergarten for sure. My kinder kid had to do one yoga video and then imagine learning and imagine math (computer apps) for an hour each.

My second grader has so much work to do and it’s rough because I can’t be with her until the afternoon.

Teaching HS has been stressful only because the kids want their hand held for everything. Like, I legit created a website with all the information about what they need to do AND I post a video by 2 everyday of one of the class sessions, so if they miss the class they could just watch the video and know exactly as much as the rest do.

Despite this, they still ignore communications and act like they don’t need to do the work.

On the day of the midterm I had 50 kids not show up. After constant emailing, calling parents, etc. I whittled that down to ten, and those kids never responded. Well except one. On the final day I offered it he emailed me to ask for an extension because he hadn’t studied. I said no. They got the study guide a week before we went into lockdown, and he had an extra week of not responding to the emails.

Before anyone asks btw: We are a 1-1 school meaning every kid has a chromebook, and the administration have helped to make sure every household has internet access.

I don’t care if things are late since this is an adjustment, but dang respond to the emails.

Thankfully, our school is going to switch all classes to being pass or fail. So that helps.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Gotta be honest, 4 days into remote learning kindergarten

... Being a teacher right now seems preeeeety fuckin sweet
    Fiance is a 3rd grade teacher and is fucking loving this lol. 3hrs a day blocked to help with any messages on assignments, she isnt actually doing instruction, and another 3 or so hours chatting with admin or her team for no reason really cause they cant do much with the systems going down cause of traffic.

She takes a break to walk the dogs every 2 or so hours, frequent facebook breaks, it's pretty lit and she also says these colonials are gonna be fucking dumb by the time they get back to school lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Thankfully, our school is going to switch all classes to being pass or fail. So that helps.
    that helps who? lol

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    that helps who? lol
    This is what the fiance and I keep going on about. We understand how challenging it is for parents to go from relying on this public service to not only educate their kids, but care for them for at least 7ish hours a day, to basically home schooling while trying to work.

In SoFlo, they're gonna do "recommendations" which is basically your teacher says they recommend they be retained, but the parent can decide not to and the child will move on, no hassle or fight required. What the fuck are these 3rd graders, some of whom can barely read at a 2nd grade level, gonna do in 4th grade? Were not doing anyone any favors here lol

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Are high schoolers going to be able to take their AP exams and shit?

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ake-home-exams

Normally, there are dozens of multiple-choice questions. Those will be gone. The free-response questions will be winnowed down from a typical four or so to one or two, which will be timed separately and submitted.

Students taking world language and culture exams will no longer need to submit written responses but will instead complete two spoken tasks.

The exams will be taken at home with open books and notes and last only 45 minutes, significantly shorter than the normal two- to three-hour duration. They can be taken on any device available — a computer, tablet or smartphone. Or students can write responses by hand and submit a photo via their cellphones.

To make sure that all students have access to the test, the College Board said it is working with partners to provide devices and broadband internet access to all who need it.

The College Board also announced heightened measures to ensure fairness and security, a key concern of many AP teachers and students about a take-home test. The tests will be given at the same time around the world from May 11 to 22. Makeup test dates will be available for each subject from June 1 to 5.
    edit: on that note, how the heck is Calculus going to work for this? Is everything going to be short answer/show all your work? That would be a pain in the ass to score considering variations.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Let's be clear , this helps YOU. It does nothing to help prepare the kids for the next level when they move past , in fact it does them such a disservice you may as well not teach them at all, just hand them a book and say good luck , figure it out because you have a 50/50 chance of passing.

I don't know when the academic system got so fucking lazy but this is part of the reason why we have adults who can't function.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    that helps who? lol

I have a lot of straight A students whose grades are going down due to a variety of reasons. While a C is not great, if you reach that, at least it means you were still doing something. And then this won't fuck with their GPAs for college.

It also helps teachers. I mean, we WANT kids to have As. We want them to do their work. While, yes, it's nicer knowing a kid as an A instead of a B/C, I don't have to stress out trying to help them all when I can't even see them one-on-one

It's not going to help an F/D student suddenly get to pass their class without learning anything.

Also, I should note that the district is constantly praising our school for the work we are doing. We were the first school in the area to start with zoom lectures. A lot of schools treated the first week as almost a vacation, and the second week with stupid packets. My students are reading Huckleberry Finn and doing a research paper on Racism in America. I'm proud of us, but it also means I am doing a lot more work than some other teachers.

No AP, no CAASPP, no SATs, no ACTs.

[edit]Beaten, I guess the college board is doing an AP alternative. We had received an email last week saying no, so I guess that was false info.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Astylla View Post
    Let's be clear , this helps YOU. It does nothing to help prepare the kids for the next level when they move past , in fact it does them such a disservice you may as well not teach them at all, just hand them a book and say good luck , figure it out because you have a 50/50 chance of passing.

I don't know when the academic system got so fucking lazy but this is part of the reason why we have adults who can't function.

A 70% is passing.

Maybe find out what we're actually doing before judging.

[edit] Maybe the "academic system got so fucking lazy" because of people like you who think that teacher's mental health means absolute zero. I mean fuck, do you think we aren't trying to do our best or some shit?

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

If Pass/Fail was a thing when I took AP calculus II in high school, I was the only one who legitimately passed the final with a 75%. Next highest score was 60%. The valedictorian got a 40%. Somehow didn't win the math departmental award because the 60% guy was on the teacher's track team.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

If people are so worried about the AP kids at our school, we only have 2 AP classes (Spanish Lit and Spanish Speaking) and we're 99% Hispanic.

We have a partnership with the local community college, and have kids take those instead of AP classes. It's a push that's been happening across the country since the AP credit is based on a single test vs. a whole semester of work.

Our pass/fail has nothing to do with the college credit classes. And that college has also moved to online, so those kids are on their own there.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I should finish reading the thread before replying

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I mean fuck, do you think we aren't trying to do our best or some shit?
    Yes

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

good news boss is like well might as well not be work if less work being done so officially on 4 day work week and early out today but says still get paid for those hours woot

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Yes
    How? I mean, we are in a not normal situation and doing everything to make the best of it. Calling us fucking lazy when I am spending hours upon hours trying to teach everything I already had scheduled to make sure my students succeed at the expense of my own children’s education is a stupid take to get out of it. It’s not like any of that changes. Like fuck that. It shows a complete lack of understanding as to what we lose when we can’t be in the physical school together and how things have to change due to extreme circumstances. I mean, you should see all the stupid work around we’re having to do for our drama performance class because lag means we can’t have them practice their scenes together effectively. And we are working ridiculously hard to try and make it work.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Just an update on the school grades thing. Win (imo) for my school, but a fail for LA kids.

LAUSD came out that no kid will fail this semester, and your grades can only go up not down. Thankfully, since we are a charter, we don't have to follow LAUSD guidelines, and our administration decided to keep doing what we are doing. They are debating on switching back to grades, but I am against that only because the kids know about the P/F thing and I don't think it's ok to constantly switch on the kids.

As long as we can still fail kids (as horrible as that is to say) I'm ok with it. You need to have SOME incentive to get kids to do their work. LAUSD just killed any hope kids were gonna learn anything during this time. Hell, I was a goody two-shoes as a kid, and even I know I wouldn't have done any work if I knew I couldn't fail.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

You say fail kids, but you mean fail the assignments or fail the grade? As much as it sucks, it's pretty wild that you can override a parents wishes and fail a kid for the grade when they missed a third of the school year. Assuming that's what you mean of course.

In Florida its up to the parents. The teachers are laying it out, saying everyone can move if they wish, but recommending the poor performers stay back for their own good. The parents can veto however, and its up to them to help get their child caught up in time for the next school year.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    You say fail kids, but you mean fail the assignments or fail the grade? As much as it sucks, it's pretty wild that you can override a parents wishes and fail a kid for the grade when they missed a third of the school year. Assuming that's what you mean of course.

Fail the grade.

And it's not really overriding the parents wishes. Remember, I work at a charter. In CA we have a fuckton of regulations about stakeholders and school transparency. We were the first school in LA to host a parent meeting as soon as shit went down. And kids were coming into the zoom classes on Wednesday all upset about LAUSD's ruling. They didn't think it was fair that a kid who did no work this semester would suddenly pass. I don't think our particular parents are upset about us making sure kids do their work.

As a note: the parents selected our school as is, and could pull them out and switch to an LAUSD school if they wanted to.

I should also point out we're a high school, not an elementary/middle school. We really don't "hold back" a student for a whole grade in HS unless they are a student with special needs.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Hmm well of you guys are going out of your way to hold higher standards and the parents can go back to public schools if they're worried, then I guess that's a fair compromise.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Hmm well of you guys are going out of your way to hold higher standards and the parents can go back to public schools if they're worried, then I guess that's a fair compromise.

Yep, that's how school choice works. I think there's a lot of negatives to it. I've witnessed several problematic kids, and I mean really problematic, as in punching holes in walls problematic, just jump from school to school to school so the parent doesn't have to deal with it.

But in this extreme case it works out really well.