Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    you see the proposals some of the cities are offering? this is just the corporate version of sports teams using public funding to build new stadiums.

fucking hilarious that DC, MoCo, and NoVa all made the top 20.
    similar, but i think a corporate HQ has the potential to add long-term benefits to the local economy, whereas stadiums do not.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Amazon proposed investment; $5B

Maryland's proposed tax break if they come here; $5B

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    its all such a fucking joke. anyway im confident amazon will choose one of the spaces in our region considering the talent pool, travel infrastructure, political capital, and Bezos owning a dc home and wapo.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    similar, but i think a corporate HQ has the potential to add long-term benefits to the local economy, whereas stadiums do not.
    stadiums employ a massive work force, tho clearly they dont get paid as much as amazon execs. the point is these MASSIVELY MASSIVELY wealthy companies should not be playing cities against each other for benefits they do not need, especially when so many are facing underfunded schools and affordable housing crisis. its absolutely obscene.

bezos himself could write the fucking 5 billion dollar check and not notice its gone.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    stadiums employ a moderately sized seasonal/part-time work force, tho clearly they dont get paid as much as amazon execs. the point is these MASSIVELY MASSIVELY wealthy companies should not be playing cities against each other for benefits they do not need, especially when so many are facing underfunded schools and affordable housing crisis. its absolutely obscene.

bezos himself could write the fucking 5 billion dollar check and not notice its gone.
    ftfy. but yeah, i agree on the rest.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    When the fuck did NoHa become a thing!? O_o
    I blame south park

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    ftfy. but yeah, i agree on the rest.
    I think it depends. Like Little Ceasars Arena that was opened this year in Detroit will house the Pistons and Red Wings but also a ton of other events. They also host private events as another stream for revenue. I want to say they are looking at putting other venues within the complex. But for single event places (for the most part) like a baseball stadium, yeah, not year round good work I'd imagine.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Parts of Harlem have long fallen to gentrification, but last time I was there (2013 I think?) it was very much a one side of the street luxury apartment/other side low-income housing. Baltimore is the same except entire streets or neighborhoods are looking good, then you round a corner and walk into slums and get murdered.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Parts of Harlem have long fallen to gentrification, but last time I was there (2013 I think?) it was very much a one side of the street luxury apartment/other side low-income housing. Baltimore is the same except entire streets or neighborhoods are looking good, then you round a corner and walk into slums and get murdered.
    It's cause McNutty ain't there to clean up them streets! Bring back Bunny's drug block and crime will go down elsewhere!

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

They’re offering my grandma something ridiculous like 350k to move out of her rent controlled apartment. We’ve lived there since the 60’s and they want damn near everyone out to finish the gentrification and skyrocket the rent.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

It blows my mind that the entirety of Manhattan wasn't completely gentrified 15 years ago.

On topic, plans were just released to put a 49 story skyscraper a block from my little house in Echo Park, Los Angeles. There isn't anything more than 10 stories in the whole neighborhood lol.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...111-story.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I think it depends. Like Little Ceasars Arena that was opened this year in Detroit will house the Pistons and Red Wings but also a ton of other events. They also host private events as another stream for revenue. I want to say they are looking at putting other venues within the complex. But for single event places (for the most part) like a baseball stadium, yeah, not year round good work I'd imagine.
    even with the other events keeping the place open, the public never gets their money out of a stadium because the same real estate put to more mundane commercial space generates the same/better jobs with less investment. it would be one thing if the public ever got a portion of ticket costs, but they don't. the only thing the public gets out of stadiums they can't get out of mundane commercial space is tourism, and that's going to be concentrated around the 2-3 days surrounding big ticket events- national sports league games- and then be bone dry 90% of the time.

convincing the public that stadiums were a good investment is one of the greatest bamboozles of the last 60 years.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I definitely agree overall it's a sham to have the public fund it. I'm probably looking at this too much through homer eyes regarding LCA because it's a huge boost for Detroit in regards to jobs. Detroit has slowly and quietly been becoming the place to be for your entertainment spot and I just really want to see it thrive.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    It blows my mind that the entirety of Manhattan was completely gentrified 15 years ago.

On topic, plans were just released to put a 49 story skyscraper a block from my little house in Echo Park, Los Angeles. There isn't anything more than 10 stories in the whole neighborhood lol.
    Ha only 3 buildings >100 ft in my town... and they are 2 retirement homes a mile away from each other. Don't think I could stand a 50 story building next to me

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    They’re offering my grandma something ridiculous like 350k to move out of her rent controlled apartment. We’ve lived there since the 60’s and they want damn near everyone out to finish the gentrification and skyrocket the rent.
    Jokes on them because rents are fucking dropppppping.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Ha only 3 buildings >100 ft in my town... and they are 2 retirement homes a mile away from each other. Don't think I could stand a 50 story building next to me
    Fortunately my one block away house is up a steep hill, so I'll be eye level with like the 10th floor, not ground level. It's being built where there's currently an abandoned church and that corner is a magnet for the homeless, so I'm all for it getting cleaned up.

Going to be quite the change though. When I bought in 2011, the existing 10 story building on that lot was a graffiti covered abandoned building - now it's luxury lofts. Imagining a building 5 times the height of that one though...wooo

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Southwest Airlines randomly sent me 4 alcoholic drink coupons good until Jan 2019. They really know me..

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

My sister-in-law had her 4-month ultrasound today. Twins, a boy and a girl.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Got tickets to distant worlds. One winged angel here we come!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    Got tickets to distant worlds. One winged angel here we come!!

Which show are you going to ?

Hubby and I got tickets to the VIP meet and greet and show at San Francisco.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Astylla View Post
    Which show are you going to ?

Hubby and I got tickets to the VIP meet and greet and show at San Francisco.
    Vancouver

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 158 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast