Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Ksan, I may think you're a dingus a lot but you are a really good teacher.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm jumping the gun big time here but here we go. About 5 weeks ago I applied for a mortgage loan originator position with the largest realtor in my area. Didn't expect anything because I'm not licensed for that anymore and my resume looks like shit. Today I get an email asking if I'm still interested.

I know I've bitched about my job at times and I have trouble with the customer service nonsense (I could do a huge blog about the craziness insurance people deal with), but overall this place is pretty decent to work for. Bankers hours, decent enough pay, and pretty much too laid back. My coworker who has fulfilled her life's dream of getting pregnant already put in her notice that her last day will be February 28th. If I left my boss would have plenty of time for a replacement even for two.

I know, cart WAAAAAY before the horse, but I'm super excited. I'd love to work in a field where I help with a product people want vs what I do now.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i made it to my friend group's annual camping trip, this year to a cabin. allergies were insane so i spent much of saturday afternoon conked out on the couch, but generally had a good time. was nice to finally get out of the house.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

This is going to be a weird post but I don't care because I'm pretty happy about it. For whatever reason my somewhat cystic acne has decided to return. Well, after recognizing some bumps on the right side of my face around 3 P.M. I decided once I got home I'd pluck any hair (it was in the beard area) I had. I plucked around 5:45 P.M. and at 8:35 P. M. the swelling has went down a ton. Very happy!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My fridge started making ice again.

Oh, and I have a phone interview tomorrow. This is the first time in forever I'll have an interview and not "need" the job.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    My fridge started making ice again.

Oh, and I have a phone interview tomorrow. This is the first time in forever I'll have an interview and not "need" the job.
    Good luck on the job opportunity! Regardless of how qualified or not you think you might be for the position, sell yourself and have confidence when speaking, it makes all the difference. I hope things work out for you so you can move into new things

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    So sorry if this advice is too much or unwarranted, but here is my suggestion:

I fully believe in the PBIS system. It's this idea of focusing on the behavior not the child.

When I read your comment I see that it's not actually his reading that's the problem, it's his behavior about his reading that is. (Considering he is on level or approaching on level and smart) So, as a teacher, how would I try to improve that behavior? Improving his reading skill (while great, don't get me wrong, and I'll give suggestions on that) will only teach him anytime he's up to a challenge he'll need to be extremely frustrated until he masters it.

So, I would do this: Make a chart. Call it something fun for him, maybe with his name that rhymes with something peaceful, calm etc. I could call my son's Corben's Calming Chart or something. Depending on if he likes to, you could even have him draw/color around it to personalize it. Everyday have him read something. Not something that is too beyond, but something you know he would normally get frustrated with. Everyday that he's able to read the passage without getting upset give him a sticker. Note: I wouldn't say he has to get X amount right. That's not the behavior you're trying to fix. You can correct him when he's wrong, but keep it positive. Like, "That word is pronounced X, it's ok, just breathe, read it again, and move on." And honestly, just by reading everyday his skill will improve anyway. Set up a prize that he gets after so many stickers. Maybe even a grand prize if he can eventually go X days in a row (I wouldn't reveal the "big" prize, though, until you're sure he can reach it.)

Bonus points if you can get the teacher on this to some degree. Like maybe a sticker sent home each time he wasn't frustrated during reading time so he gets double stickers for the day.

The idea is to teach him the skill about what to do when he feels frustrated because this will not be the only thing that'll frustrate him in life. I would give him a certain technique to practice for when he does (ie. pause, breathe in, breathe out, continue).

As to actually giving him a boost to his reading skills I recommend some of this:

This book was amazing for my daughter:

https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Ch.../dp/0671631985

I used to do it with her once every few days and supplemented it with Bob books:

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Books-Set...ords=bob+books really helped with fluency.

We also live near our library so take the kids there once a week to pick out books. I let them pick out w/e they want because I want them to feel the freedom that they can choose what they want to read vs. what I want them to read. I don't care if the book is "too childish" or "too beyond" and would never tell them. This is about helping them develop a personal reading interest. If it's too childish I can have them try and read it, if it's too beyond, I read it to them. Honestly, as a HS teacher I think this is huge. I have found that girls are much much more likely to read books than boys. And I think this is because schools tend to teach a lot of books that are more interesting to girls, and downplay those that might be more interesting to boys. So anything you can do to help him find what he likes to read, and let him keep at it no matter the subject, is a great thing imo.

Thank you to you and everyone else who said so. I know I am not the best there is. I bet you there are many more who could teach these kids more in a year than I could. But I know that kids need this kind of teacher just as much as those that are skilled at getting kids to absorb a huge amount of information, but lack the ability to create those bonds. I'm glad to be the type of teacher I, am though. And I know I'm improving every year, too.
    Thanks for this information. It is super helpful. Just to clarify though he is really good at reading. Ahead of where he is expected to be. Also he loves books and asks me to read to him all the time. We read every night at bed time.

The thing that we definitely need to work on with him is his ability to manage his emotions and handle frustrating situations. He has a bit of a temper already and I think that can make certain things feel more difficult for him than they need to be.

I really appreciate the suggestions. At least right now he is doing his reading at school when he is supposed to though he says it is boring and he is doing his homework when I ask him to which so far has been reading homework. We just haven't gotten to the point where he will sit down and read a book on his own without a big battle about it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astylla View Post
    Good luck on the job opportunity! Regardless of how qualified or not you think you might be for the position, sell yourself and have confidence when speaking, it makes all the difference. I hope things work out for you so you can move into new things
    Thank you. I like to think I interview pretty well. My only concern is if the job entails basically prospecting and what not. If so, that's going to be a no unless the salary is much higher than my current. We'll see. I'm pretty excited.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

One of the two people I couldn’t stand in my department got fired this morning. There’s one more to go and rumblings it may happen as early as next week. These people are simply a plague on our department and it’s the best thing for everyone. Here’s hoping the next people are decent and don’t fuck up things more.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Hip Hop Fish & Chicken opened a new location a couple blocks away from my home, fuck yeah.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I just saved my coworker about $250 on a prescription. She doesn't have insurance and she was going to pay Walgreens rate. She was literally out the door saying it. I stopped her and asked if she used GoodRX. Nope. Bam, expensive prescription down to $15. feelsgoodman.jpg

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I just saved my coworker about $250 on a prescription. She doesn't have insurance and she was going to pay Walgreens rate. She was literally out the door saying it. I stopped her and asked if she used GoodRX. Nope. Bam, expensive prescription down to $15. feelsgoodman.jpg
    That is a lifesaver. Last year I was working at this job I had to do training in Texas for and they don’t have Kaiser there so had to go to urgent care. Had a nasty respiratory infection and almost paid out of pocket until they helped me out. It wasn’t that cheap but definitely made a difference.
    I believe in karma

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Got my gaming laptop back good as new. Cat absolutely destroyed it a few months ago. What’s the go to web browser all the kids are using nowadays? Chrome?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i prefer firefox but keep chrome opera and edge installed as well. i like to use them for different things. firefox for my normal stuff, chrome for my fiancee's stuff, opera for twitch streams, and edge for the occasional bing reward spam.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Firefox with noscript so your computer doesn’t get AIDS. You can tell it to trust websites you know are cool (like BG!). But I hear the kids these days use Chrome with some extensions that can do roughly the same thing.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I mainly use chrome with ublock origin, adblock, and flashblock. I let windows defender do it's thing at 3 a.m. and use Ccleaner. Haven't had an issue in five years.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I have to use all 3 at work. Edge for testing, Firefox as it seems to be the only thing that doesn't get broken certificate wise with Office 365 web portal, including the exchange administrator site and our Microsoft volume licensing site, and Chrome for everything else. I also sometimes have to bust out IE 11 since the County is still in the early 2000's for web development and certain sites that have videos like for county board meetings will not run on chrome, firefox, or edge.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Sooooo omw to our senior design banquet and I'm a little nervous. My group is in charge of building a fully autonomous aquatic robot to collect trash. We have 6 me and 6 ee in total. I'm (1 of 2) the systems engineer, in charge of controls, ai, and navigation. This is going to be awesome lol.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

So I'm watching TV while running on the treadmill at Planet Fitness and I see my daughter's teacher on news.. Then I see my daughter shooting hoops. Her honors math class was on 2 different news channels and then this morning I see this on the MSN homepage

She is on the far left with her arms crossed LOL

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    I have to use all 3 at work. Edge for testing, Firefox as it seems to be the only thing that doesn't get broken certificate wise with Office 365 web portal, including the exchange administrator site and our Microsoft volume licensing site, and Chrome for everything else. I also sometimes have to bust out IE 11 since the County is still in the early 2000's for web development and certain sites that have videos like for county board meetings will not run on chrome, firefox, or edge.
    Oh the life of an IT person. I always have all three browsers open. Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. Have to be able to test them all in different scenarios for everyone.