+ Reply to Thread
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Switching emails from Gmail to Yahoo

My mom retired and wants to move all her old emails from her work account (gmail) to her personal yahoo account. No, I can't convince her to switch to a gmail account, I tried.

I'm having a hard time finding current information on how to do so. Most want to tell me how to go from yahoo to gmail instead of vice versa, or use something called Trueswitch which, apparently, shut down.

Anyone do this recently?

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

No because Yahoo mail is cancer. I'd rather use Outlook if I couldn't use Gmail.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

1, Do not change to Yahoo, make a new private gmail or Outlook account instead. I had to help out a friend who got caught in the Yahoo hacking debaucle, you don't want to try to deal with Yahoo customer service, ever.

2, your search will probably succeed better if you go for an export/import parameter rather than a transfer. ( I didn't try this, so I can't vouch for it, and won't take any responsibility, but for example https://www.cnet.com/how-to/move-you...o-outlook-com/ )

3, You might be able to use a local e-mail client to create a local cached account from the gmail to the other account if they both let you use the imap or pop3 (or similar) mail protocols.

4, make sure she's actually allowed to do this, a lot of workplaces don't permit a full dump of e-mail accounts/contact etc. and she could end up with an ugly lawyered legal mess on her hands. Depending on what she used to do, it _could_ be illegal.

(Where I work deals with a lot of sensitive health information, if anyone tried that with us you'd theoretically be looking at the police).

I would have to agree with @hellfury just create a new Gmail account it really is hard using yahoo mail.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

To actually answer your question and not (just) bash yahoo mail (yup, it sucks), there are tools like IMAPSize or Mailstore home that let you backup the old mail account via IMAP and then restore it to another IMAP account.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Just logged into my ancient Yahoo mailbox that I haven't checked in over a decade for the lulz/nostalgia since this thread reminded me of it...

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Those 6 must've been really bad to get sorted into that over the other 122k!

Convince her not to do what she's doing before she regrets it. Point her to this thread or something. Did you tell her about what's happened with Yahoo emails in the past several years? There's a reason there aren't obvious ways to switch to Yahoo..

And did anyone figure out how babby was formed?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    1, Do not change to Yahoo, make a new private gmail or Outlook account instead. I had to help out a friend who got caught in the Yahoo hacking debaucle, you don't want to try to deal with Yahoo customer service, ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by realalex View Post
    I would have to agree with @hellfury just create a new Gmail account it really is hard using yahoo mail.
    I got her a gmail account two years ago. She can't even remember she has one. It's just not going to happen, unfortunately.

As to privacy, she was school teacher, but I don't think she has anything too sensitive that she couldn't keep. Small towns don't usually give a crap about that stuff, and she wants to keep it mostly for the non-school related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    To actually answer your question and not (just) bash yahoo mail (yup, it sucks), there are tools like IMAPSize or Mailstore home that let you backup the old mail account via IMAP and then restore it to another IMAP account.
    I'll try this, thanks!