BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

One Piece: Gear Second

Since we're cutting threads off when they get too long, here is the new OP thread. Although there isn't much to talk about right now since WSJ was on break last week and this weeks chapter isn't out yet.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Requesting Thread name be changed to Two Piece

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Taisaijin
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

One Piece Two Piece Red Piece Blue Piece?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Jinn View Post
    Requesting Thread name be changed to Two Piece
    We shall let this be decided by the mysterious ethers of democracy. Anyone else feel we should go with a silly thread name or stick with this?

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Personally, I would go with Another Piece.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

One Piece: Gear Second.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    One Piece: Gear Second.
    This. This makes sense, goes up to gear 3 and 4 and potentially more in case we need more threads

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I can't wait to find out how absurd gear 5 is considering how silly 3 and 4 work.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Spoiler: show
    NAMI!!!!! Dude I'm gonna laugh so hard if she took down Big Mom with a single blow.

The former Sun Pirates are up to something underwater. The big escape is coming soon!

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Chapter is out.

Time for Brook to be MVP once again since they have a shitload of chess soul dudes.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Chapter was awesome! This arc has been great so far

BG Level

Might be my favorite arc since the Nico rescue arc.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    the Nico rescue arc.
    I'll be honest, I'm not sure it's possible to top that arc just because of the feelings, power upgrades and being at the right age of the comic. The finale may top it, but after like 30 years of OP I'm unsure if it'll really get me as pumped as Enies Lobby, lol.

BG Level

It really was the best arc.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Someone on BG having a sig of the entire crew standing on Eines Lobby is what made me want to re-read One Piece and get up to date on it, so I agree.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Another week, another awesome chapter

Pudding's split personality and the Straw Hats reaction to it was hilarious

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

A lotta people are raging at the way this arc is going. They're stupid.
    They're questioning why the hook of the gang getting out of this jam is Sanji baking a cake & suddenly Big Mom is supposed to forgive everything.

But they gotta understand how Oda works. The entire time OP has been going he's been building a legacy & reputation in the world and among other pirates for the Straw Hats. Sanji being the Pirate King's master chef, who could bring Big Mom to her knees with his cooking, is absolutely part of the formula.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    A lotta people are raging at the way this arc is going. They're stupid.
    They're questioning why the hook of the gang getting out of this jam is Sanji baking a cake & suddenly Big Mom is supposed to forgive everything.

But they gotta understand how Oda works. The entire time OP has been going he's been building a legacy & reputation in the world and among other pirates for the Straw Hats. Sanji being the Pirate King's master chef, who could bring Big Mom to her knees with his cooking, is absolutely part of the formula.
    I'd say people are moody to start with for other reasons. Fights have basically disappeared from the series. They always tended to be short but they served the important service of releasing tension in the story. Villains were despicable and then we got to see them trade blows with our heroes until they go their face smashed in. If you look back at the last few arcs it seems like the action parts are now replaced with scenes of the SH running. In the past we would be having the SH face off against antagonists who would have had some hype or development to them.

I think Oda has gotten a lot sloppier about how he structures his arcs in general but the change in how the action in the series is done is the most noticeable difference in how the series is changing.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Uh... Dressrosa had a ton of fights. A TON. Including a giant tournament in the middle of the arc. And Luffy's final fight against Doffy lasted 10 chapters. Punk Hazard had a bunch, Fishmen island gave us 10 vs 100,000 and was purely there to show off all the crew's abilities. Even this arc has had a bunch already.

The trouble here is that Luffy just got a big power-up so he's not going to get a new one again so quickly (and if he did, it would have been against Doflamingo, like how G2 and G3 were introduced). Add in the fact that he's fighting Big Mom. I'm sure Oda has more sense then to draw out a giant battle where his main male protagonist beats up a woman. Sure you could try to get Nami or Robin to fight her (Nami in this case), but she's a Yonko so for anyone but Luffy to beat her in a physical fight on his crew would be kind of ridiculous. So for her to be defeated by Sanji and co making a perfect cake makes a great deal of sense compared to the alternative which would be to draw a famous character known around the world fighting with and eventually beating up a woman. And you know that's the biggest reason why Big Mom isn't being handled in the traditional manner compared to other baddies.

Oda has already done a ridiculously good job showing how overpowered Big Mom is and how much damage she could both dish out and withstand (I dunno... like a giant lightning bolt that left a giant crater in the ground that started off this week's chapter), in fact, I'd confidently say he's done a great job of building up Big Mom as a whole and her strengths and weaknesses and etc, and Sanji stopping her with a perfect Wedding Cake makes perfect sense given his character development too.

I can understand why people think the crew has just been running a lot. In Punk Hazard they were running away from the smoke that turned people into stone or wax or whatever, Dressrosa from the Marines and Admiral Fujitora (who Luffy actually stopped to fight, but got pulled away from) at the end of the arc, and now running from Big Mom because she's going on a giant rampage after they tried to assassinate her. It may seem like a lot, but plot-wise, it's all perfectly justified. The whole point of this arc wasn't even to fight Big Mom. From the start it was established that they planned to sneak in, get Sanji and sneak out. And they even mention that if they planned on fighting they would have brought the whole crew plus the Strawhat fleet and blah blah.

Plus, we have Kaido and Wano-Country coming up and you know a country full of Samurai and Ninja is going to be full of all sorts of fighting. I fully expect that arc will be Zoro's time to shine. He hasn't really had an arc where he's been a central figure in the story at all save for little moments like against Mihawk early on, when he took all of Luffy's pain from Kuma, etc, etc. And given ninja tools and etc, I can see Usopp, Nami and Franky (and maybe even Brook too) getting some fighting upgrades.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I think it's relatively clear Luffy couldn't actually take Big Mom at the current time. I'll be shocked if the next arc he fights Kaido and wins, honestly. And let's be real, reputation wise, going against Big Mom and surviving is still a great boon to the Straw Hat crew, especially if nobody dies. And it would be seen as a loss for Big Mom, she did get some of her generals beaten up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag