+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

HURRIKANE SEASON 2017: NATE THE GREAT (2005 can suck it)

Thought I'd make a thread for this since it's probably the most serious tropical event in the US since Sandy.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/24/us/tro...vey/index.html

Basically this storm was expected to hit around Galveston (known for being even worse than New Orleans in storm surge danger) as a tropical storm.

It hit very unstable waters, just like Katrina did, and now it's forecast to be a Category 3-4 with 120+ mph wind. For reference, Katrina had 125mph wind when it made landfall. Meteorologists are shitting themselves and admitting that they honestly have no idea how strong it's going to get. There is a phenomenon that it may be undergoing where a storm can intensify over 100mph in 24hrs. This would result in a potential Cat4-5 landfall, probably the most devastating since Andrew in '91. Probably not though.

This is probably the most dangerous tropical situation in the US since Sandy and maybe more so given where it's landing.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Wow that escalated quickly, last I heard was that it was projected to barely be a category 1.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Wow that escalated quickly, last I heard was that it was projected to barely be a category 1.
    They flew a plane into it about an hour ago and the results made them summarily shit their pants.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I'm in San Antonio and they warned us about life threatening rain totals. My body is ready.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

The tracking is showing it make landfall, then return to sea again on Monday or Tuesday and regain strength again.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If this hurricane wipes out Texas, does that mean God hates God fearing folk?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Wasn't the majority of damage caused by Katrina due to failure of the levees and flood walls and not the actual storm itself?

Anyway, I'm excited for a future telethon and hoping for another "George Bush doesn't care about black people"

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Harvey makes his come back.

We had a Tropical Storm Harvey roll through when I was in middle school, it was projected to possibly turn into a hurricane and be pretty bad. Got the day off of school, and it was sunny as can be.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I mean Houston is already incredibly prone to flooding, a Hurricane will be doing it absolutely no favors.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    Wasn't the majority of damage caused by Katrina due to failure of the levees and flood walls and not the actual storm itself?

Anyway, I'm excited for a future telethon and hoping for another "George Bush doesn't care about black people"
    The levees failed because they were not designed to handle storm surge past a certain height, and that was doubled by the fact that the area was below sea level.

Galveston's levees are even less capable of handling storm surge, and it's even further below sea level than New Orleans is.

edit: My post still stands but it seems like the storm will now miss that area to the south. Not quite as devastating.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    If this hurricane wipes out Texas, does that mean God hates God fearing folk?
    It would actually mean God hates liberals, because the gulf coast of Texas is mostly a liberal stronghold. Virtually every city on the coastline bleeds blue.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Par for the course I'd say. Just moved to Austine and HEY A HURRICANE.

smh

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    The tracking is showing it make landfall, then return to sea again on Monday or Tuesday and regain strength again.
    Looks like it could be stuck between two High Pressure areas causing it to stall. Meteorologist said that it might not even leave the Mississippi Valley area until next Wednesday.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

u guys my prayers for the people of texas worked

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    The levees failed because they were not designed to handle storm surge past a certain height, and that was doubled by the fact that the area was below sea level.

Galveston's levees are even less capable of handling storm surge, and it's even further below sea level than New Orleans is.

edit: My post still stands but it seems like the storm will now miss that area to the south. Not quite as devastating.
    got it. thx for splaining

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

From when I was born till I moved when I was about 29 it flooded in Houston at least once a year, often times from normal storms. Most floods weren't bad though but a few were.

Parts of Galveston have a chance of getting swept over by a storm surge.. Galveston Island is still above sea level though.

Katrina was an infrastructure failure more then a storm failure. The storm was a Cat 3 by the time it made landfall which for my family in Houma, further south and pretty much the swamp areas, was more an annoyance then anything.

Most important things to remember is to stay indoors if you are staying around till the storm is over.. and ,if you have to drive anywhere while there are flood waters, if you don't know how deep the water is it is too deep.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

so how understaffed is FEMA right now?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So you are telling me Hurricane Harvey's Danger is higher than any since the early 90s?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    So you are telling me Hurricane Harvey's Danger is higher than any since the early 90s?

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

uh...

that doesn't look good

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast